** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

13 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I've been reading a few things the last couple of days that really does make me wonder whether Frost will come here.  One article pointed out that he'd more than likely get a five year contract plus an extension along the way.  With the initial contract and the extension, they were throwing out roughly 35 million taking Frost out to the age of 49.  If he busts here, his career is basically over at age 49.  Then, you have to put us on par with other programs coming open in the near future as well.  Is Nebraska a better job than UCLA? 

While I have no idea whether Frost would take the job or not, I do find myself in the Frost or bust camp.  Whether we like it or not, we're becoming a coaching graveyard type program.  We're not the only program like that because we have Notre Dame and Tennessee as company.  I'm afraid we're just one uninspiring hire away from a football has been.

I do not understand the Frost or bust camp.  I like him, but not all hope lies in one man.

Is ND a coaching graveyard?  

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I do not understand the Frost or bust camp.  I like him, but not all hope lies in one man.

Is ND a coaching graveyard?  

I would call Notre Dame a coaching graveyard ever since Lou Holtz retired.  Bob Davie was his replacement.  He was fired after his fifth season.  He was completely out of coaching for a decade before going to New Mexico.  Next man up is Tyrone Willingham.  He was fired after his third season.  He was picked up by Washington after being fired from Notre Dame, but he only lasted four seasons and has been without a head coaching job for nearly a decade.  Next man up is Charlie Weis.  He was fired after his fifth season.  He did get picked up by Kansas, but that only last for two and a quarter seasons.  He's been without a head coaching job for almost four years.  Next man up is Brian Kelly.  He has managed to make it to his eighth season.  He has also managed to get himself on the hot seat after posting a 4-8 record last year.  I don't know how long he lasts, but he had just as many top 25 finishes at Cincinnati as he's had at Notre Dame but only coached at Cincy half as many years. 

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I would call Notre Dame a coaching graveyard ever since Lou Holtz retired.  Bob Davie was his replacement.  He was fired after his fifth season.  He was completely out of coaching for a decade before going to New Mexico.  Next man up is Tyrone Willingham.  He was fired after his third season.  He was picked up by Washington after being fired from Notre Dame, but he only lasted four seasons and has been without a head coaching job for nearly a decade.  Next man up is Charlie Weis.  He was fired after his fifth season.  He did get picked up by Kansas, but that only last for two and a quarter seasons.  He's been without a head coaching job for almost four years.  Next man up is Brian Kelly.  He has managed to make it to his eighth season.  He has also managed to get himself on the hot seat after posting a 4-8 record last year.  I don't know how long he lasts, but he had just as many top 25 finishes at Cincinnati as he's had at Notre Dame but only coached at Cincy half as many years. 

So in your estimation (or anyone elses) how is our situation similar and how is it different to ND's??  My brother is a big ND fan.  He converted his garage into a man cave and had the Irishman painted on the wall.  He's been suffering too.  NU is his second favorite team - double whammy for him.

5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm not sure I'd go as far as coaching graveyard.  Kelly at least got Notre Dame into the national title game a few years ago and he seems to have them trending the right way this year.  Wimbush is legit.  Anyone coaching Notre Dame is always going to get a little bit of a pass from me due to their academic standards and the fact they consistently play a pretty tough schedule.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

Could someone else bring us back to national prominence?  I suppose it's possible, but who?  And why?  It's a shot in the dark at a target that may not even exist.

Frost is as close to a sure thing as you'll find.  

Edited by Isle of View
5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I see what you are saying.  I wonder how many programs experienced the same after replacing a legend.  What is the average coaching tenure in college football these days?  Maybe five years?  I think MR retires, but the rest of the NE coaches since TO returned to coaching almost immediately, though not FBS schools.  While ND has not had the success they enjoyed under Holtz, I would like to be number 11 with a chance at the playoff this year and runner up to Alabama in 2012.  

Just now, Xmas32 said:

I'm not sure I'd go as far as coaching graveyard.  Kelly at least got Notre Dame into the national title game a few years ago and he seems to have them trending the right way this year.  Wimbush is legit.  Anyone coaching Notre Dame is always going to get a little bit of a pass from me due to their academic standards and the fact they consistently play a pretty tough schedule.

This is just it, almost every coach Notre Dame has had since Holtz retired had at least one good season.  Bob Davie had them in the top 10 and in the Fiesta Bowl in 2000.  Willingham had them in the top 10 in 2002 until they dropped their final two games.  Weis had them top 10 in 05'.  I don't know how much more time Kelly gets, but he's still got some losses coming this year.  He's got USC, NC State, undefeated Miami, and Stanford left on the schedule.  I think he loses at least three of those games. 

I have a feeling we're going to find out how comparable the Notre Dame job is to ours as early as January.  It was very telling back in 04/05 when Urban Meyer passed on his "dream" job to take the Florida job.  Will we see a repeat of this with Frost in a couple of months? 

4 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

I see what you are saying.  I wonder how many programs experienced the same after replacing a legend.  What is the average coaching tenure in college football these days?  Maybe five years?  I think MR retires, but the rest of the NE coaches since TO returned to coaching almost immediately, though not FBS schools.  While ND has not had the success they enjoyed under Holtz, I would like to be number 11 with a chance at the playoff this year and runner up to Alabama in 2012.  

The reason I think we're similar to Notre Dame is because every coach we've had since TO retired had at least one good season going.  Solich had us right near the top in 99' and we played for a NC in 01'.  Callahan had us in the Big 12 Championship in 06'.  In 2010, Bo had us in the top 10 until Martinez got hurt and we slid at the end of the season.  Last year, we were top 10 until we hit the buzzsaw known as Ohio State. 

I guess I fail to see how what Notre Dame did in 2012 as being any better than what we did in either 99' or 01'.  They lost 14-42 in 2012 while we lost 14-37 in 2001. 

16 minutes ago, Isle of View said:

Could someone else bring us back to national prominence?  I suppose it's possible, but who?  And why?  It's a shot in the dark at a target that may not even exist.

Frost is as close to a sure thing as you'll find.  

There are probably many coaches that could, but much like Frost, there is no evidence that it would be or close to a "sure thing." 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

There are probably many coaches that could, but much like Frost, there is no evidence that it would be or close to a "sure thing." 

Oh there's plenty of evidence that Frost is as close to a sure thing as you'll ever find, if you're willing to look at it.  Especially for Nebraska.

Edited by Isle of View
  • Plus1 5
2 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

I think the real question here is how many of those coaches that could bring us back to national prominence would be willing to come here?  I agree that there are coaches that could.  However, I'm having a hard time thinking of any that would actually be willing to take the job.