** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

23 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

What do you think about these five defensive coordinators?

Brent Venables, Clemson Tigers
Don Brown, Michigan Wolverines
Dave Aranda, LSU Tigers
Bud Foster, Virginia Tech Hokies
Pete Kwiatkowski, Washington Huskies

I think they are staying right where they are at, unless they get a head coaching gig.

Just now, southernoregonhusker said:

If Frost wants to give Parrella the job, I'd be cool with it.  If he doesn't, I'd be cool with that too.  A head coach should be allowed to hire whoever he wants as his assistants.  

I agree.  Chinander may just be new. Given time he may become a first rate DC. However, we've been so burned at that position it would be great to have someone who really knows their stuff to come in and teach these boys how defend the ball.  Diaco was a disaster!

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

Tell me this: what makes them good? What do they do that our DC's haven't done?  Is it experience? Is it they just see the big picture and coach accordingly? 

They have an excellent "pedigree" learning Xs and Os, then they go to a place where the talent (speed and size) can be brought in.

1 minute ago, ladyhawke said:

Tell me this: what makes them good? What do they do that our DC's haven't done?  Is it experience? Is it they just see the big picture and coach accordingly? 

I would argue those coaches are in better territories recruiting wise therefore they can consistently land top recruits whereas we have to bust our ass for our recruiting footprint. We have to pump football back into this state. We have to give in-state players a reason not to go elsewhere. You do that by winning. You do that with coaching. When we last won the MNC in 1997, a lot of our starters were from Nebraska. People forget that.

We can't rely solely on tradition. So, the formula to improve our own back yard is to win and it takes one helluva coach to get that formula up and running. We had one before and I think we've got one coming now. It's going to take time, IMHO and we can only give that kind of time to a favorite son.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

They have an excellent "pedigree" learning Xs and Os, then they go to a place where the talent (speed and size) can be brought in.

Aranda was terrific at Wisconsin and their recruiting rankings aren't amazing by any stretch.  Some people just know how to keep things simple for their players while frustrating offenses.  Diaco's defense was hampered by not having good inside linebackers.  It was further hampered by him being brain damaged.  You have to put your kids into a position where they can succeed.  Diaco didn't do that.  He didn't even appear to try.

• Plus1 1

Not so much the X's and O's but the Jimmies and Joes.  I still think that is very true.  Most power house teams with a good DC/OC have talent on the field.  The difference is those coaches know how to make it a team, get the most out of what they got.  Coach Frost has done that at UCF.  He will bring in what he needs on the coaching side I think.  Recruiting what those assistant coaches need will be the challenge.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Wouldn't you just love to sit down with Bud Foster or Brent Venebles and ask them what makes a good DC?  I wonder what they would say.  

Good DC's have said they allow their kids to use their physical abilities to attack the ball.  Over the years, our kids have looked confused and weren't sure where they were  supposed to be.  I've heard both Bankers and Diaco say the same thing.  The issue is they didn't get around to fixing the issue.  

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I was listening to one of the local sports stations and they brought up an interesting question: What will it take to get our current players ready for next football season?  How will these players respond to a coach who is going to make them work their tails off?  How does Scott Frost I still in them the desire to want to win when they've been used to losing so much these past 3 years?  

I think the defensive players will have a tough go of it but I think Scott will have them ready. Won't that be a thing of beauty? To know that we can look forward to our team being ready to play. 

4 minutes ago, FTW said:

I would argue those coaches are in better territories recruiting wise therefore they can consistently land top recruits whereas we have to bust our ass for our recruiting footprint. We have to pump football back into this state. We have to give in-state players a reason not to go elsewhere. You do that by winning. You do that with coaching. When we last won the MNC in 1997, a lot of our starters were from Nebraska. People forget that.

We can't rely solely on tradition. So, the formula to improve our own back yard is to win and it takes one helluva coach to get that formula up and running. We had one before and I think we've got one coming now. It's going to take time, IMHO and we can only give that kind of time to a favorite son.

AMEN! Yes! That is exactly it.  I just shared this with another person but won't it be a thing of beauty to see our team actually ready to play a game?  I can't wait!

3 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Good DC's have said they allow their kids to use their physical abilities to attack the ball.  Over the years, our kids have looked confused and weren't sure where they were  supposed to be.  I've heard both Bankers and Diaco say the same thing.  The issue is they didn't get around to fixing the issue.  

I felt sorry for those boys.  Some of them had to learn like three different schemes and this last one was a doozy!