** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Other than that the plan was flawless...

lol yeah yeah I know.. as I mentioned earlier, I want his defensive mind out there.. He had superb defenses at LSU not so much on offense.. So I'm hiring him to shut up about offense and coach me a mean a$$ defense that allows 10 points a game and puts 4-5 players in the draft each year

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

You're quite obviously just making stuff up. At least be funny if that's what you're going to do.

Yeah for this rant of a thread.. clearly.. I'd say 71 pages of this thread are made up bs about Frost becoming our HC or what if this, what if that... So yes my comments about me becoming head coach then hiring Miles and Moorhead as coordinators and saying that it's possible for me to do that because if Mike Riley can coach Nebraska then hell why not me too...

Yup all made up fun and games and sorry you don't find me funny. I can be quite the hoot 

6 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Where the last coach lost his job before conference play began in Year 3.

But I get that since the comparison is Florida, there might actually be an argument there.

Yeah the comparison is to Florida, and as far as Riley, because everyone saw it was the same old thing at the start of the year. Everyone saw immediately we weren't going to have a successful season and how much longer can we wait for a 66 year old to turn things around? A guy who has been coaching for 30 years is having the same results over and over. The overall hire of Riley was so mind boggling that it made zero sense that he was hired in the first place.

Really the only way Riley's hire made sense was if he came to Nebraska and started winning and competing right away. Otherwise, Nebraska was looking for a new head and rebuild within 6 years anyway, whether he was successful or not successful.

Edited by BoneyardHusker

If I were Frost, and I am not, I would stay at UCF over going to Florida especially since I haven’t been there long.  However if I were Frosts agent I would certainly use the Florida interest as a threat to negotiate a fatter contract to a supposed “dream job” offer.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, zoogs said:

But I get that since the comparison is Florida, there might actually be an argument there.

Riley should have never been hired in the first place and losing seasons to go with his history isn't something that will last long at any power program. All we want is someone that can coach meaningful November games. 

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

Even if it wasn't it'd probably still be true. He benefits from a lot of factors Riley doesn't/didn't if he ends up here: 

#1 - He's young and a big name. That buys him time. 

#2 - He's taking over a bad, losing record program. Riley took over a program that had won 9 or more games for seven straight years.

#3 - He's 'one of us'.

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Florida, Florida State and Texas have every recruiting advantage, deep-pocketed administration, and commitment to excellence Nebraska supposedly lacks.

And not one of them has a better record at the moment than Mike Riley's Nebraska team. 

But they all have had top 10 finishes, national championships, conference championships, and/or BCS/NY6 bowls within the last 10 years.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

You can also hire a lot of good assistant coaches who go do the recruiting for you and you basically go out to close recruiting commitments before NSD. You can spend your time recruiting to the players when they take their official visits to Nebraska, pick a few of the big time recruits you want and go visit them near NSD and let the assistants do the rest.

I'll add, the best recruiting tool is winning. If you start to win a lot of games you are recruiting a lot of players at the same time.

Agreed. Be the local recruiter, closer at closing time and make recruits want to come to your campus to be recruited by you.

All of this can be accomplished with a good staff that will get out and get stuff done. Has to start with the Williams boys.

Edited by ScottyIce
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Riley lost his job long before this year.

Eh, he had Nebraska back to its failsafe 9-4 season last year, and opened this season with a significant number of his own recruits, including a quarterback who wowed really smart football folk at the big quarterback camps, and threw his own DC under the bus for an innovative new DC with a respected national profile. It wasn't crazy to expect improvement over the previous year, and I think fans would have shown patience if they saw the pieces coming together, even in losses. 

Riley probably lost his job against Northern Illinois, and definitely against Wisconsin. We can say we saw this potentially 4-8 season coming, but  I don't think that many people really did. 

If you want to congratulate yourself on this foresight, have at it.

• Plus1 5
40 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It wasn't crazy to expect improvement over the previous year, and I think fans would have shown patience if they saw the pieces coming together, even in losses.

Exactly. I thought things might look ugly early in the season, simply because there were so many transitions going on, but that it could potentially improve quite a bit throughout the season. But I did not think the early season would be 'lose to Northern Illinois' ugly.

And the potential improvements as the season progressed? Yeah, it ain't happening. Statistically, the D has actually regressed in most categories. You could argue that the schedule has been harder, but overall, has anyone seen any real progress versus where we were a year ago? Lee has already thrown more interceptions through nine games than Armstrong threw in the eleven games he played in last year. I'm sure someone somewhere still thinks Riley & Langsdorf are great QB coaches, but I sure hope there's none left in the state of Nebraska. We ran for forty yards against Purdue, with largely the same coaches and players as last season. Newby's gone, but let's be real: RBs are largely interchangeable here, mainly because the running game is little more than a token gesture. This is what has become of the team that used to consistently have the strongest rushing attack around.

Alright, that's enough saying what everyone has been saying for months now...