** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

46 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I just wanted to point out that @jessica0 has been on this board since October and already has something like 238 rep points.

I've been on here since December of 2005 and have 255 points.  

It always fascinates me how newbies can come on here and pretty much seem to dominate the board and then become the next "guru" on the board.

I mean no harm by this post ... I actually was hoping a few folks would simply +1 this post so I can get out ahead of Jessica on the rep points.

Thanks for any +1's.  :-)

People think jessica is the new board "guru"?

(no offense jessica)

1 hour ago, BigRedN said:

I just wanted to point out that @jessica0 has been on this board since October and already has something like 238 rep points.

I've been on here since December of 2005 and have 255 points.  

It always fascinates me how newbies can come on here and pretty much seem to dominate the board and then become the next "guru" on the board.

I mean no harm by this post ... I actually was hoping a few folks would simply +1 this post so I can get out ahead of Jessica on the rep points.

Thanks for any +1's.  :-)

I'm wondering who the geniuses are that actually like her posts?

1 minute ago, C N Red said:

I'm wondering who the geniuses are that actually like her posts?

Hell, I don't know why anyone likes most of mine. Then again, I almost never use the system. Would much rather tell someone why I like their post. Not much a fan of these rep systems.

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No one was excited because few had heard of him, and we felt entitled to a big name or at least a more exciting search.

When we looked into it, we saw that in the year we hired him, Mike Riley had been voted the second most underrated coach in a poll of fellow college coaches. Found out Alabama, USC and UCLA had supposedly tried to hire him away earlier in his career. The same college football community gave Riley a lot of credit for the 8, 9 and 10 win seasons he managed with low budget Pac 12 bottom feeder Oregon State, including regularly out-coaching guys like Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll — a situation not unlike Matt Campbell's 6-3 record at Iowa State, currently giving some fans serious boners.

Guys like Kurt Warner, Keyshawn Johnson, The Spielman family and Les Miles sent their own kids to play for Mike Riley at Nebraska, and I'm assuming it wasn't just because he's a nice guy. Several of the national pundits currently pushing for Scott Frost thought Riley was a smart if slightly outside the box hire. 

So it wasn't quite the bizarre/pathetic/toxic choice some would make it. The idea that Mike Riley would use the late-in-life challenge and Nebraska's superior resources to right the ship for about 7 years made as much sense as Brett Bielma or Jim McElwain. 

It didn't work out. That's pretty clear. Definitely time to move on.

But retroactively s#!tting on Mike Riley and all he's ever done isn't a good look for Husker fans.

And you know who'd agree with me? Every coach we'd ever want to hire.

The other coaches probably voted him as 'underrated' for the same reason Fitzgerald was praising Riley after beating him last Friday.

It's probably nice to have a team in your division hire a .500 coach you know you can beat on a fairly consistent basis. might as well tell fellow AD's in your Conf./Div.; "hey, this .500 guy is YOUR guy, trust me ; )"

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No one was excited because few had heard of him, and we felt entitled to a big name or at least a more exciting search.

When we looked into it, we saw that in the year we hired him, Mike Riley had been voted the second most underrated coach in a poll of fellow college coaches. Found out Alabama, USC and UCLA had supposedly tried to hire him away earlier in his career. The same college football community gave Riley a lot of credit for the 8, 9 and 10 win seasons he managed with low budget Pac 12 bottom feeder Oregon State, including regularly out-coaching guys like Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll — a situation not unlike Matt Campbell's 6-3 record at Iowa State, currently giving some fans serious boners.

Guys like Kurt Warner, Keyshawn Johnson, The Spielman family and Les Miles sent their own kids to play for Mike Riley at Nebraska, and I'm assuming it wasn't just because he's a nice guy. Several of the national pundits currently pushing for Scott Frost thought Riley was a smart if slightly outside the box hire. 

So it wasn't quite the bizarre/pathetic/toxic choice some would make it. The idea that Mike Riley would use the late-in-life challenge and Nebraska's superior resources to right the ship for about 7 years made as much sense as Brett Bielma or Jim McElwain. 

But retroactively s#!tting on Mike Riley and all he's ever done isn't a good look for Husker fans.

No...we didn't look into it and "see" we looked into it and fooled ourselves that somehow his record was not really his record.  We convinced ourselves that Corvallis was Kosovo...we convinced ourselves that he was some magical person filled with mythical niceness instead of seeing him for what he is...a regular nice guy that does his job like a professional.  The way that 99% of us do our jobs.  No on is retroactively s#!tting on him and he hasn't ever really done anything to speak of.  You know why the college community said nice things about him?  Because that is what you do for 99% of your peers.

I have written 100's of letters of rec for people and they all say the person is the best person ever.  We all do it that way.

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well said.  He's been a good football coach and leader of young men for years.  He's deserves respect.  He's just mailed it in the past six years.  It's time for he and Dee to move back to Corvallis and retire.

• Plus1 2