** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Mike Riley is an incredibly genuinely nice man. He really is. What boggles my mind however is so many people "in the know" claim him to be this amazing football mind and great coach, if that is the case I need it explained to me how these last 3 years were so awful. I mean not just the X's and O's parts, but really the whole experiment, it was an utter failure.

Almost makes me worried for the state of the program if this extremely knowledgeable, well experienced, smart football coach couldn't pull himself about .500, then who can get us above .500?

I think he might know football as well if not better than a lot of coaches, however, that doesn’t make him a motivater.  Seems to me the great coaches know Xs/Os and can motivate players to run through a brick wall for them. Coach Riley just couldn’t get them to that point. 

I am sure Riley is very nice and personable to the players and he is probably very smart in understanding the game. But, given how nice he is, I doubt he is very “demanding” of his players. Sometimes, it’s good for the players to not like the coach all that much. Also, he may be very smart, but must not be able to teach it in a way that can be duplicated in a game environment. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Mike Riley is an incredibly genuinely nice man. He really is. What boggles my mind however is so many people "in the know" claim him to be this amazing football mind and great coach, if that is the case I need it explained to me how these last 3 years were so awful. I mean not just the X's and O's parts, but really the whole experiment, it was an utter failure.

Almost makes me worried for the state of the program if this extremely knowledgeable, well experienced, smart football coach couldn't pull himself about .500, then who can get us above .500?

This.  How can a dude be a football savant and out out the career product of .500.....I call BS. He can't manage the game with the clock, something we've seen time and time again.  receivers repeatedly running routes short of the sticks, repeated penalties, Kalu, Jackson and now Knevel moved to new positions......Ol issues etc.....IMHO, he is not a good coach.  Waste before he got here and isn't now.....Dude is nice enough that no one wants to say anything bad.  Just because you can "teach" football doesn't mean it translates to on the field results. I truly think we have digressed since he has been here....This year, whatever could go wrong did.  It's like the wheels just came completely off the cart....

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, HuskerMan said:

My only concern if Frost comes here and the fan base is that he took UCF from 0-12 to undefeated in two years. How many of the unreasonable fans would look at that and expect the same here?

I think that most fans would realize that he is in a unique situation at UCF, and that his task at rebuilding Nebraska would be more difficult. 

He may be searching, but every possible outsider is a potential leak.  Coach Frost and the University seem to be keeping this very quiet.  He is not showing his cards in any way.  I know we have supposed inside information depending on others to verify.  For the University and the fan base hope it happens as soon as possible.

I agree that the time given needs to be what ever it takes.  He can not be worried about it in any way.  This move for Coach Frost will be either stardom or suicide.  He needs every opportunity to fix this program, and it really hasn't been fixed since shortly after he left.  Wish him nothing but the best if he decides to take this nightmare on.  

4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

He may be searching, but every possible outsider is a potential leak.  Coach Frost and the University seem to be keeping this very quiet.  He is not showing his cards in any way.  I know we have supposed inside information depending on others to verify.  For the University and the fan base hope it happens as soon as possible.

I agree that the time given needs to be what ever it takes.  He can not be worried about it in any way.  This move for Coach Frost will be either stardom or suicide.  He needs every opportunity to fix this program, and it really hasn't been fixed since shortly after he left.  Wish him nothing but the best if he decides to take this nightmare on.  

The silver lining of MR's horrible tenure is he created a patient fan base. We are so bad now, that we will wait for success, as long as we see improvement. The next coach will have the easiest time at Nebraska since Bob D.

I am confident that This will be a nerve-racking week indeed for many Husker fans.  Hold tight and keep your powder dry.  UNL is a public University and will have to interview several candidates to check-off some boxes. Then, After the ACC title game, we will officially announce a new coach.  Bowl game, smowl game...It is important, but not as important as the early recruiting period and hitting the ground running.  Besides,  UCF will have a hard time playing any BCS/Bowl game outside its home state.  They do not travel well, as was shown the last time they played in Tempe a few years ago- they had less than 1,000 fans in the stands.