** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am with you.  If you are going for the home run hire, there are always going to be risks and gambles.  The hire of Riley was anything but a gamble.  It was a decision to hire the one coach in college football who was the complete antithesis of Bo Pelini.

If Frost is a home run, he could set NU up to compete for championships for the next 10-15-20 years.  Or he could also flame out within 5 years.  Those are the risks of hiring a coach.

I also think that people on here want "all the boxes checked".  There aren't many coaches out there that do that.

and i don't think Frost is one of them either......he has not been seasoned and tested as a HC.........

1 minute ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

It is time to bring Scott home.  

Play to his sympathies and pay him at least twice what he is making now.  I think the skill players are here for his offense and, after watching his team today, I think Gebbia could be a very good QB in his offense. 

This is kind of where I am too. Time to give it a shot. Wait too long and it may be too late. Bring him home, establish some stability and hopefully resurect the program. Unless some big name, splash, guarantee successful coach is a sure thing, it is time to see if this is our future

• Plus1 2

People point out that Frost doesn't have the experience to be a head coach at the Big Ten level.  Looking at James Franklin's experience, Frost has much of the same resume that Franklin did before he was hired at Penn State.

Both had years of assistant coaching experience, working through smaller colleges into bigger ones.  Both offensive coordinators for 2-3 years before getting a head coaching job.  Franklin was a Vandy for 3 years.  In terms of success, Central Florida is very similar to Vandy.  The only thing Vandy has over UCF is conference affiliation.  But, over the past 20 years, UCF has been a more successful program than Vandy.

1 minute ago, Hunter94 said:

and i don't think Frost is one of them either......he has not been seasoned and tested as a HC.........

But why are all the boxes check "required"?  It's nearly impossible to find the coach that checks all the boxes.  Frost's experience compares very close to guys like Franklin, Tom Hermann, and PJ Fleck who have all been hired recently.  Honestly, I would rather go with the young, energetic coach who is going to bring passion to the team.

• Plus1 1

Is Frost guaranteed a big time coaching job after this season?

The more you think about it, the more that looks likely. The AAC was raided last year for their top coaching prospects. Frost is probably the top young (head) coach left in the conference along with Norvell. This may force the Huskers hand in getting Frost now. Someone will this offseason. 

34 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

It is time to bring Scott home.  

Play to his sympathies and pay him at least twice what he is making now.  I think the skill players are here for his offense and, after watching his team today, I think Gebbia could be a very good QB in his offense. 

This isn't really accurate, though. His offense often utilizes a mobile QB and, yesterday, his QB ran six times for 94 yards. Who on Nebraska's roster could do that right now?

On 9/22/2017 at 0:11 AM, brophog said:

https://ucf.rivals.com/news/scott-frost-press-conference-maryland-week

Watch this press conference prior to the Maryland game. Even at Oregon he spoke like this, not just like a coach, but like a head coach. Great demeanor, understands the media's role. Honest, humble, and forthright. These are things that are common to other press conferences he's had over the years, but this one is of course different because of Irma's tremendous impact on that program. Notice his priorities in life, even in the already stressful life of a college coach.

If you want a guy that represents Nebraska and all of those intangibles we like to say collegiate athletics are about...

Reveal hidden contents

And a plus, he talks like a coach, with actual plays and everything. "The spread" is not an offense, sounds like you're at the deli counter when you say that.

He's missing one thing - the most important thing - An actual resume of competing for/winning conference titles with a Power 5 team in the last 5 - 10 years as a head coach.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

He's missing one thing - the most important thing - An actual resume of competing for/winning conference titles with a Power 5 team in the last 5 - 10 years as a head coach.

But where are you going to find that from a coach who's willing to leave their school?  If a coach is already doing that at their school, they are going to stay there.

Give me some examples of coaches who you think would be actually willing to leave.

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But where are you going to find that from a coach who's willing to leave their school?  If a coach is already doing that at their school, they are going to stay there.

Give me some examples of coaches who you think would be actually willing to leave.

It's possible that you're right, but it's also possible that we don't understand just how much money our program could come up with to buy someone's contract out to accomplish this. 

The only real positive that I see in Frost is that he in all likelihood actually cares about the Nebraska brand name and tradition and would take turning things around on a more personal level. I could see that angle possibly being a big benefit. 

But I also think it's stupid to not get a proven coach. Even if it means waiting. Our last four head coaches have not fit into the category of having won or consistently competed for conference titles recently for a Power 5 school as a head coach. Just let that sink in. The most obvious mold of a guy you'd think you'd want to get...and in 20 years, we haven't tried it.

I don't think Frost is the best option.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, it's been more like..."We fired our coach!......We're going after only the best, WE'RE GOING FOR LOMBARDI!!..........Oh darn,..turns out there were complications so we hired Joe Shmedlik from Utah School of Mines instead".

10 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

I had the same thought while watching the game.  Scott wants to build something at UCF and he is off to a good start.  Are the resources available at Nebraska enough better than at UCF to convince him that building something here with a lower starting point is a good idea?  He may decide that continuing with what he started at UCF is the best choice.  Not sure he would come here if offered.  Not sure he would go anywhere until after the season following this season.  If he does leave after this season it might make sense to go to a P5 program that isn't as bad off as our program will be.  He could be asking himself if it wasn"t for being a former Husker would he even consider taking the Nebraska HC job.

Serious? Ucf was horrible 2 years ago. Swap coaches and they are still horrible today. Frost is building something. But it's still just getting started and if he is the competitor he used to be, his ultimate goal should be the national championship. He couldn't swing that at a smaller program. Someday he will make the move if his progress continues. 

20 minutes ago, gorp512 said:

Is Frost guaranteed a big time coaching job after this season?

The more you think about it, the more that looks likely. The AAC was raided last year for their top coaching prospects. Frost is probably the top young (head) coach left in the conference along with Norvell. This may force the Huskers hand in getting Frost now. Someone will this offseason. 

This is what I'm feeling as well. On one hand, I'd actually like to have Riley one more year year, notwithstanding a 4 win season (on the other hand I want him out now, but that's another story). This is because our 2018 schedule is brutal and I believe that if this schedule is the new coach's first schedule, it would be setting him up for failure. Thus, the ideal scenario would be for Riley to stay until the end of 2018, and for Frost to develop more at UCF and come at that time.

But then there is the thought you and I share: is another big school going to be calling Frost in the meantime (or competing with us for him in 2018)? The answer is likely yes. I don't think there is a higher trending non-P5 coach than Frost. He's the next Herman. He will get job offers from borderline top 25 teams this year. Next year, he will get job offers from top 10 schools. We better get him before that happens.

• Huskerzoo changed the title to ** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***
  • Huskerzoo pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Huskerzoo locked this topic