** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The whole “frost is the only one that can save Nebraska “ mantra is just so melodramatic. What happens when frost retires?  Do we just fold up the program?  What happens anything else happens to frost to prevent him from coaching?  We turn memorial stadium into a soccer field?

News flash. He’s not the only good coach.  

When frost retires in 20 years I would imagine the fan base would be united, we would be a steady winning program that almost any coach would want to come here. 

• Plus1 5
6 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I just don't want to hear that we were outbid by another team.  If we offer him a contract that gives more money, more years, and more freedoms than all other teams offered, I can live with the fact that Scott picked another team.

If we do this I don't see us missing. Florida is enticing but a little dive into their history shows it might not be a great place to work. I think Scott knows he would have more support in Lincoln than he could get anywhere else in the country. That isn't small.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Frost fits better than your favorite sweater but this couldn't be more on point. There is more than one way at a place like Nebraska.

I think the whole "Frost is the only hope" idea is based on more than just coaching.

Moos hit on fan apathy and a fracture within the fan base during his presser yesterday. Frost is probably the only coach at this time (realistic coach anyway) that 90% of Husker could both be excited for and patient with. He's the only option that grew up in rural Nebraska and understands the fan mentality of Husker fans - "its definitely about more than winning, but don't lose to Illinois and Purdue, ever."

If we hire Campbell or Fuente or whoever, it's going to be a long apathetic of season. Leach is really the only other realistic option that would generate major excitement, but it'd probably be the wrong type of excitement for over half the fan base.

Edited by Oade
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Oade said:

I think the whole "Frost is the only hope" idea is based on more than just coaching.

Moos hit on fan apathy and a fracture within the fan base during his presser yesterday. Frost is probably the only coach at this time (realistic coach anyway) that 90% of Husker could both be excited for and patient with. He's the only option that grew up in rural Nebraska and understands the thought mentality of Husker fans - "its definitely about more than winning, but don't lose to Illinois and Purdue, ever."

If we hire Campbell or Fuente or whoever, it's going to be a long apathetic of season. Leach is really the only other realistic option that would generate major excitement, but it'd probably be the wrong type of excitement for over half the fan base.

I agree on the Frost part, but if Fuente creates apathy then fans need to get their Husker football bone checked. He has a division title and a 19-7 record through 2 years in the ACC which is probably the second deepest conference behind Big 10. That's pretty dang good.

I am 100% confident Leach is not a candidate. Moos doesn't want to tear apart his work at WSU to bring a coach who doesn't fit  Nebraska and would hurt this program as well. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Oade said:

Moos hit on fan apathy and a fracture within the fan base during his presser yesterday. Frost is probably the only coach at this time (realistic coach anyway) that 90% of Husker could both be excited for and patient with. He's the only option that grew up in rural Nebraska and understands the fan mentality of Husker fans - "its definitely about more than winning, but don't lose to Illinois and Purdue, ever."

Ok, so I keep hearing about fracture(s) within the fan base. What are the fractures? Is it fans that wouldn't like a non-Frost coach? Or different philosophies about how to move forward (spread v. power)? Geography?

What would Frost be uniting?

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The whole “frost is the only one that can save Nebraska “ mantra is just so melodramatic. What happens when frost retires?  Do we just fold up the program?  What happens anything else happens to frost to prevent him from coaching?  We turn memorial stadium into a soccer field?

News flash. He’s not the only good coach.  

He's not the only coach who can fix our on the field issues, but that's not the entire point or role he'll have here.

For the current state of affairs in Lincoln, Frost is clearly the best hope. Hopefully over the next 15 year's he improves the standard at NU where we're not just throwing coaches memes as a wall and hoping one sticks like we've done I've the past 15 years. Currently thing, we sort of need someone to step in and be more than just a good Xs and Os guy or a great recruiter or whatever,

• Plus1 1
Just now, ATS Knight said:

Ok, so I keep hearing about fracture(s) within the fan base. What are the fractures? Is it fans that wouldn't like a non-Frost coach? Or different philosophies about how to move forward (spread v. power)? Geography?

People will give more time to someone that helped win them a national championship and is from the state.  He has a lot of goodwill.  Even if somehow he wasn't successful, he'd go down like a Bart Starr in Green Bay (still a beloved legend despite coaching failure).

5 minutes ago, ATS Knight said:

The fracture is tied to the apathy. Its not that we're fractured and that we'll revolt as fans or anything. We'll simply continue to see empty seats in the 3rd quarter when we're losing a game.

Consider the excitement level for the up coming off season if Riley had been retained. It would be at an all time low.... Campbell or Sumlin won't make nearly the difference that Frost would in that regard. Campbell or Sumlin would be greated with a "prove it" mentality by a lot of fans. Frost will be greater with more of a "welcome home, now get it done" mentality.

Edited by Oade