Slang Words Used In Your Area

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

My mom would make Loose Meat sandwiches and call them Tastee Burgers (I think there was a Tastee Burger on 48th Street in Lincoln).  I liked them better than Sloppy Joes or Taverns, because I wasn't a big fan of the sauce.

I went to college in Iowa. I remember all my Iowa buddies getting SO excited when the cafeteria had Maid Rites. That was some bland ass s#!t :lol: (sorry) 

They also love their walking tacos (little Doritos bag with cheese, meat, lettuce, and taco sauce added). Those are only good if you eat them right away or else all the chips turn to chewy garbage

The soda vs. Ppop thing drives me crazy.  The original term was soda pop.  People around here shortened it to pop.  People in other parts of the country shortened it to soda.  Why the hell is their term any more "correct" than mine?  And...why the hell should I change what I call it just because they stick their noses up and think their so much more sophisticated calling it soda?

And....if stand on some street corners and look catawampous you will see a pop machine.

My wife grew up in northeast Nebraska and started serving me "taverns" when we were first married.  After living in Iowa for 15 years, she now makes maid rites.

All I want is a friggen sloppy joe.

Edited by BigRedBuster
7 hours ago, GSG said:

I think so. Loose meat (Maid Rites or whatever the Iowegians call them) have no sauce. Sloppy Joes (Taverns) have sauce. At least that's my understanding

Apparently "Sloppy Joes" are called "Yum-Yums" at Hastings St. Cecilia.   At least that's what my wife tells me (she didn't attend, just competed there).

I’ve heard the term loose meat sandwich a few times (mostly from the Roseanne show) I still have no idea what they refer to. If it is basically browned crumbled ground beef with no sauce, no thanks.  Before this thread I’d never heard of a tavern or maid rite. I grew up in Columbus...maybe that isn’t far enough east? I know what a Sloppy Joe is.  I’ve always called it pop for most of my life but lately I catch myself saying soda every once in awhile. Must be exposure taking over.

Around here they are Krautburgers, not Runzas. I use both but Runza is reserved strictly for the ones by the restaurant of that name.

kielsoda.003.jpg

Ive seen slight variances of this map but this one seemed close enough to use

9 hours ago, El Diaco said:

I use both but Runza is reserved strictly for the ones by the restaurant of that name.

This is a pet peeve of mine simply because our school served "runzas" for decades. Then, the restaurant started serving them and now has legally forced everyone to stop calling them Runzas except them.

That would be like Burger King all of a sudden claiming that nobody can call what they serve "burgers" anymore.

The old world term for them is actually "bierocks".  

I feel like "Sloppy Joe" is not inclusive enough, lots of people are sloppy.

Loose meats are not bad, like once a year I get one.

What about "Pie" or "Pizza" or "Slice"

BRB, I know what you mean about the Runza situation!  One of the schools I was at had "Runza" day and I think they changed it...I can't remember what they called it

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a pet peeve of mine simply because our school served "runzas" for decades. Then, the restaurant started serving them and now has legally forced everyone to stop calling them Runzas except them.

That would be like Burger King all of a sudden claiming that nobody can call what they serve "burgers" anymore.

The old world term for them is actually "bierocks".  

I use the two different terms mostly because they aren’t very similar and we have to be specific where I am. We get Schwartz’s Krautburgers most of the time and they put a Runza to shame. But we also drive over to Loveland and get actual Runzas occasionally. They just aren’t interchangeable because they are so different. There can be a very wide disparity in the yumminess of Krautburgers, bierocks and Runzas. However I agree that it’s ridiculous the restaurant forced the name issue.

7 hours ago, El Diaco said:

I use the two different terms mostly because they aren’t very similar and we have to be specific where I am. We get Schwartz’s Krautburgers most of the time and they put a Runza to shame. But we also drive over to Loveland and get actual Runzas occasionally. They just aren’t interchangeable because they are so different. There can be a very wide disparity in the yumminess of Krautburgers, bierocks and Runzas. However I agree that it’s ridiculous the restaurant forced the name issue.

Might have to get over to Schwartz's!!