Slang Words Used In Your Area

20 minutes ago, GSG said:

Might have to get over to Schwartz's!! 

Yes you need to. Don’t know if you heard of them before but their original location is a little dump in Evans, been there forever. About 6 months ago they opened a 2nd location in Greeley around 20th Street and 35th Ave. I haven’t tried the new place yet (I still frequent the original) but the new place would be the nearest one for you. They have only 4 kinds; regular, cheese, jalapeño cheese and some oddball chicken/broccoli mixture that I’ve never tried. I always get the hot cheese. They have a few (literally only 3) other things, cinnamon rolls, greble (which is basically a sugared twist donut) and usually some kind of coffee cake or cobbler. All the sweets are good but I prefer the cinnamon rolls.

On 10/25/2017 at 10:23 PM, Mavric said:

Apparently "Sloppy Joes" are called "Yum-Yums" at Hastings St. Cecilia.   At least that's what my wife tells me (she didn't attend, just competed there).

My dad grew up south of Hastings in the Campbell/Red Cloud area.  My aunt always called them Yum-Yums.   In NE Nebraska they are taverns.  Out in the sandhills, I taught school at Cody-Kilgore for 2 years they called them ranch burgers.  

On 10/25/2017 at 10:59 PM, El Diaco said:

I’ve heard the term loose meat sandwich a few times (mostly from the Roseanne show) I still have no idea what they refer to. If it is basically browned crumbled ground beef with no sauce, no thanks.  Before this thread I’d never heard of a tavern or maid rite. I grew up in Columbus...maybe that isn’t far enough east? I know what a Sloppy Joe is.  I’ve always called it pop for most of my life but lately I catch myself saying soda every once in awhile. Must be exposure taking over.

Around here they are Krautburgers, not Runzas. I use both but Runza is reserved strictly for the ones by the restaurant of that name.

kielsoda.003.jpg

Ive seen slight variances of this map but this one seemed close enough to use

I live Idaho now and no one calls it pop.  It is soda out here.  My favorite thing is NAPA stores.  All of the guys that work for me call it N  A  P  A, they say the letters.  I always say you mean napa?  I have never heard that before, and this is the only area I have heard it.  

35 minutes ago, NUinID said:

I live Idaho now and no one calls it pop.  It is soda out here.  My favorite thing is NAPA stores.  All of the guys that work for me call it N  A  P  A, they say the letters.  I always say you mean napa?  I have never heard that before, and this is the only area I have heard it.  

Yeah, I don’t think this map is the most accurate or up to date. I think soda use is growing and spreading. I’d say it’s about 50-50 pop-soda here in Colorado.

Grew up in extreme north east Ne, within eye sight of SoDak. 

A crick ran pert near to our house.

Ate taverns at church pot luck, no pop though, just tea (un-sweet).  

Getting to have a pop was a special occasion only. 

Never heard of Yum Yums until today. 

Never heard of Runzas until a classmate went to college in Norfolk. 

Had relation in west central Minnesota.  They accused us of having a southern accent.  

On 10/25/2017 at 11:59 PM, El Diaco said:

kielsoda.003.jpg

It's been years since I first heard that people in the south refer to every brand of pop as "Coke" and I still think it's just a really elaborate practical joke.  It so illogical that it physically lowers my morale.

Edited by The Dude
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Someone recently flipped out on me for referring to ground beef as "hamburger". 

Weeellll...I wouldn't flip out over it but technically hamburger is a sandwich made with a patty of ground beef. My work is closely associated with the meat processing industry so I'm pretty much an expert.;)  But I also call it hamburger a lot.

7 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Weeellll...I wouldn't flip out over it but technically hamburger is a sandwich made with a patty of ground beef. My work is closely associated with the meat processing industry so I'm pretty much an expert.;)  But I also call it hamburger a lot.

It's also synonymous with ground beef.  The true abomination is this same person referred to it as "hamburger meat".

9 hours ago, El Diaco said:

You don't live near Greeley without being involved in the meat processing industry.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You don't live near Greeley without being involved in the meat processing industry.

Very true. Although it is quickly becoming less and less of a factor around here. There’s been a lot of growth and it no longer controls the local economy to the extent it has historically. We do stuff for them nationally as well as other beef, pork and food processors.

Just now, El Diaco said:

Very true. Although it is quickly becoming less and less of a factor around here. There’s been a lot of growth and it no longer controls the local economy to the extent it has historically. We do stuff for them nationally as well as other beef, pork and food processors.

True.  My son had a baseball tournament in the Greeley area (Windsor to be exact) last summer, and I was shocked at the sprawl that was in that area.