Mavric

WR Zavier Betts [Nebraska Commit]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Enjoyed Jr. Day. He is most likely going to St. Louis Camp instead of Nebraska Spring Game. He is planning to draw out his commitment until February (rumors make it sound like that possibly could be because of his grades?) Nebraska and Minnesota are his top 2 at the moment.  He is playing baseball for Bellevue West this Spring.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Billsantosa said:

He is planning to draw out his commitment until February (rumors make it sound like that possibly could be because of his grades?) 

Yes

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Seriousl.y? HS classes are not that hard to do well in.:facepalm:

It is hard to fail high school classes.  It is not hard to get D's.  As you know and remember and as I see every single day, minimal effort and not being an a$$h@!e will pretty much land you in the C and B range.

So if it is grades, more than likely he is not doing a thing AND a pain in the a$$ in class.  Which would surprise me a bit because I know his HC and it would shock me if he let him act that way.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is hard to fail high school classes.  It is not hard to get D's.  As you know and remember and as I see every single day, minimal effort and not being an a$$h@!e will pretty much land you in the C and B range.

So if it is grades, more than likely he is not doing a thing AND a pain in the a$$ in class.  Which would surprise me a bit because I know his HC and it would shock me if he let him act that way.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine a kid with a lot to lose not putting in the effort, but man....It isn't that hard.

“Growing up I was big on trying to get out of the state, get away from the Huskers if I went D1,” Betts said. “I didn’t want to play for the Huskers because I knew how they had been.

“After coach (Scott) Frost got there I have been thinking more about possibly staying home and playing for them. Coach (Mike) Riley was a good coach, but after him and his staff left that kind of changed my perspective with Coach Frost coming back home to coach the Huskers.”

Rivals

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

Rivals

Apparently the two Burke High signees and Piper were also all planning to go elsewhere instead of the Corn. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Apparently the two Burke High signees and Piper were also all planning to go elsewhere instead of the Corn. 

I might be alone here, but I can never take your posts seriously because you always have to mention "the Corn".

• Plus1 7
  • Upvote 1

So...even kids who at the time were about 12-13 years old knew that Riley was a bad hire.  Think about that for a second.

21 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I might be alone here, but I can never take your posts seriously because you always have to mention "the Corn".

Oh please, give me a break. Don’t read my posts then if it bothers you so much. Ignore. 

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Oh please, give me a break. Don’t read my posts then if it bothers you so much. Ignore. 

Haha lighten up.

• Plus1 6
  • Upvote 1

On 3/19/2019 at 7:46 AM, HS_Coach_C said:

Might be the only person I have heard of that actually call the Huskers “ the corn”. 

48 minutes ago, jassman24 said:

Might be the only person I have heard of that actually call the Huskers “ the corn”. 

My roommate in Harper got married to a non-football savvy woman,  and they have twins.  To be supportive,  she tried to teach them how to cheer while Dad watches the Huskers as a surprise.  Nebraska scores,  he cheers,  and the kids yell, "Corn Pride!".  She made it up as she liked it better than GBR.

Our collective group of friends now yells, "Corn Pride!", often and laugh about it. 

15 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Haha lighten up.

Husker for Cornhusker. Corn for Cornhusker. I have a buddy who calls them the Corn. So I started calling them that, too. It sounded different, and I happen to like it. HS_Coach_C, you could be one of the nicest people around as far as I know, and I’m not offended. Unless you are being humorist — which I will consider as a possibility — it just seemed like a silly reply. But, hey, I don’t know you, so I will keep that in mind and not draw any conclusions. Peace. Husker love. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:24 PM, runningblind said:

My roommate in Harper got married to a non-football savvy woman,  and they have twins.  To be supportive,  she tried to teach them how to cheer while Dad watches the Huskers as a surprise.  Nebraska scores,  he cheers,  and the kids yell, "Corn Pride!".  She made it up as she liked it better than GBR.

Our collective group of friends now yells, "Corn Pride!", often and laugh about it. 

I may have to start saying that also, it is kind of catchy.

• Haha 1

It's great that Frost coming back to NU and focusing on in-state recruiting is also coinciding with an upswing in high school talent in Nebraska.  GBR!!!

• Plus1 2

On 8/21/2018 at 3:10 PM, ADS said:

Guys, listen, if he does commit and I’m proven to be a dumbass I’ll eat a literal ton of crow and enjoy it.

Just sayin...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Nebraska

Mavric,obert1,seaofred92,HuskermanMike,Young Grand Island Husker,SkerLover95,bugeater17,Wunderkind,Husker_luver,tyrone_biggums,CMT1525,Warrior10,Decoy73,HS_Coach_C,Throw Dem Bones,chamrocck,Scarlet Overkill,OH HSKR FAN,Thanks_Tom RR,Roger Dorn,jassman24,yort2000,Frostberg,The Murphinator,Roll Skers,Chadhusker,sho,husker_fan_from_sweden,ADS,Husker from Kansas,Ziebol,Snowbird,1HuskrFan,Treand3,HuskerzFanatik,Vizsla1,Huskr25,gorp512,Minnesota_husker,TherealTomOsborne,huskersrule95,SouthofSarpy,AlaSker,r06ue1,Dillrp4NU,RicheyIrvin,STLHusker21,LumberJackSker,Crusader Husker,mqgiebler,The Cornfather,GSG,Sker4Ever,PattyG,SouthLincoln Husker,Louie Valasek,Mary Pats BOB,Sgt Red,Cdog923

• Plus1 1

On 8/21/2018 at 3:10 PM, ADS said:

Guys, listen, if he does commit and I’m proven to be a dumbass I’ll eat a literal ton of crow and enjoy it.

Dumbass. :D

• Haha 1

On 8/21/2018 at 2:10 PM, ADS said:

downloadfile.gif.eec2ea1f30f0a0e1093b6756f2dc8206.gif

• Haha 4

Isn't he one with concerns about qualifying? Huge in-state pick up and hopefully he makes it! Could be completely wrong too. Thought at one point 247 thought he might come back to the pack a little bit ratings wise by the time it's all said and done. Big moment to give Smothers some company either way!

1/2 so far. Now go get Watts!

2 minutes ago, spurs1990 said:

Isn't he one with concerns about qualifying? Huge in-state pick up and hopefully he makes it! Could be completely wrong too. Thought at one point 247 thought he might come back to the pack a little bit ratings wise by the time it's all said and done. Big moment to give Smothers some company either way!

1/2 so far. Now go get Watts!

Yes, sounds like he needs to get the grades up. Betts was always a lock to commit IMO. It's Watts that's the one that will be a lot tougher to stay home. 

I cant think of the last time where a borderline 5 star talent goes so under the radar, that his recruitment and eventual commitment seems underwhelming. His grades must have been really bad.

Zavier is one of the best prospects to come out of this state in a long time. You can go back a few decades and not find too many that possess the upside and skill he has. I hope he gets everything in order and becomes an all american at Nebraska. A great day for him, the state, and university. 

• Plus1 3

I am stoked to have him N but I am curious as to why there weren’t more schools after him.. 

was it it really just grades? Just seemed odd to me that Watts recruitment is blowing up getting big time offers while Betts was down to Minn and N

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

Where are this kids offers?

It’s been said he really was not into recruiting process and stays off social media for the most part. He probably just hasn’t reported offers like other recruits have as the whole thing can be pretty overwhelming. Add that to the fact he needs to raise that ACT score in order to qualify.

• Plus1 1

I'm thinking he just didn't announce them. He tweeted a Purdue offer on Jan 28th 2018 after getting Iowa State, Minnesota and Iowa. Then he tweeted like 2 more times and retweeted a handful. Either he hasn't had an offer in over a year or he's not announcing them.

Still a good chunk to make up on the academic side but taking his commitment means the staff feels very good on his progress.

And again for those that continue to ask, academics have slowed bigger schools from offering.

Should he make it here, Betts>Watts

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Still a good chunk to make up on the academic side but taking his commitment means the staff feels very good on his progress.

And again for those that continue to ask, academics have slowed bigger schools from offering.

If Betts had a decent QB, the tape would show that it isn't all that close either. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Watts' best position in college may be DB.  If Betts is able to qualify, it would be worth starting Watts at DB (if he Watts comes to NU, as well).

• Plus1 1

On 4/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

Where are this kids offers?

Speculation is two things have a lot to do with it:

• Academic concerns and proximity to UNL may have led others to not spend much time recruiting him
  • Not sure of the reason exactly but apparently a lot of other coaches have followed him on Twitter but he doesn't follow back so they are unable to message him.  Maybe kind of a quieter guy so other coaches haven't really been able to get to know him.
  • Plus1 1

On 4/5/2019 at 6:28 AM, Mavric said:

Speculation is two things have a lot to do with it:

• Academic concerns and proximity to UNL may have led others to not spend much time recruiting him
  • Not sure of the reason exactly but apparently a lot of other coaches have followed him on Twitter but he doesn't follow back so they are unable to message him.  Maybe kind of a quieter guy so other coaches haven't really been able to get to know him.

I think it has more to do with this.  :lol:  Welcome Mr. Betts!

Related image