WR Zavier Betts

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

63 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Betts commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Missouri

This poll is closed to new votes

6 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you fully, but before teams can go from point A to point C, there is generally a point B in the middle.  Also, take a look at the teams which scored 40+ in 2019.  These are the tops teams in the country.  Yes, it's a great long-term goal, but I think NU being in the top 20 in scoring offense is more attainable for 2020 and 2021.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27

Maybe point c = 50  :)

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

On 3/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mavric said:

I can't remember if Betts was needed a better score or not but this isn't helpful:

I scrolled back a few pages and it seems like we let him sign early after Frost did a grade check with the school counselor. So I think it's not so much an ACT score as it is having a high enough GPA with his current score. 

22 minutes ago, theknife said:

I scrolled back a few pages and it seems like we let him sign early after Frost did a grade check with the school counselor. So I think it's not so much an ACT score as it is having a high enough GPA with his current score. 

Well, technically it could be either as it is a sliding scale - the better the grades, the lower test score and vice versa.  

But he is definitely looking to get a better test score.  And he apparently has now qualified to take the ACT with "accommodations".

• Plus1 3

59 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Well, technically it could be either as it is a sliding scale - the better the grades, the lower test score and vice versa.  

But he is definitely looking to get a better test score.  And he apparently has now qualified to take the ACT with "accommodations".

Yes.  Higher gpa the lower your act can be.  I think if you raise your act by too many points (like 5 or more) you have to retake it to prove it.  At least that is what I have been told regarding one of our athletes.    

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

Nice, thanks for clarifying.

So ... apparently his first semester this year went really well.  "Better than expected."

Unfortunately, he let things slip a bit this semester.  He's working on making up some work over the break now.  And still planning to take the ACT again this summer - though there is talk that the NCAA make relax some rules for this class given the extenuating circumstances.

6 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Have to think the fact that he can't go back to school and they can't really hand out grades for the 4th quarter means everybody gets an A!

4 hours ago, teachercd said:

This shutdown is going to really help students that were on that line.

The way our school is doing it, and how many in the state are, will be basing this semester's grade on just the 3rd quarter. That's great for students who did well for the 3rd quarter, not great for those who didn't. However, we decided for students who work really hard during this online learning, we can bump their grades up. We won't be reducing grades for students who slack off this quarter.

This basically follows guidance from the state that this is more an enrichment time rather than typical expectations. We are still teaching our students as close to normal as possible, but it is technically not required that they do the work. The longer they go without finding out it's optional, the better.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So ... apparently his first semester this year went really well.  "Better than expected."

Unfortunately, he let things slip a bit this semester.  He's working on making up some work over the break now.  And still planning to take the ACT again this summer - though there is talk that the NCAA make relax some rules for this class given the extenuating circumstances.

Are they actually on break or switched to online learning? If they switched to online learning like most schools, that's a shock for a lot of students. They now have almost all of the responsibility and much less support and accountability. Plus, it's not less work for most students or teachers.

At least in his situation, I'm sure he's got plenty of people contacting him to hold him accountable and help as needed.

4 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

The way our school is doing it, and how many in the state are, will be basing this semester's grade on just the 3rd quarter. That's great for students who did well for the 3rd quarter, not great for those who didn't. However, we decided for students who work really hard during this online learning, we can bump their grades up. We won't be reducing grades for students who slack off this quarter.

This basically follows guidance from the state that this is more an enrichment time rather than typical expectations. We are still teaching our students as close to normal as possible, but it is technically not required that they do the work. The longer they go without finding out it's optional, the better.

Amen!

OPS f#&%ed this up right away...(No one is shocked at that!)

1 hour ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Are they actually on break or switched to online learning? If they switched to online learning like most schools, that's a shock for a lot of students. They now have almost all of the responsibility and much less support and accountability. Plus, it's not less work for most students or teachers.

At least in his situation, I'm sure he's got plenty of people contacting him to hold him accountable and help as needed.

The issues started before the current goings-on.