WR Zavier Betts

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

63 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Betts commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Missouri

This poll is closed to new votes

I know this has been said probably 50 times already, but you have to try and fail in today’s school. I subbed out of college for a few months (3 years ago), and kids couldn’t fail. Not turning in an assignment is a 50, not a 0 where I was subbing. They let them turn in assignments whenever with no penalty. The student has to try and fail in most districts. 

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

I know this has been said probably 50 times already, but you have to try and fail in today’s school. I subbed out of college for a few months (3 years ago), and kids couldn’t fail. Not turning in an assignment is a 50, not a 0 where I was subbing. They let them turn in assignments whenever with no penalty. The student has to try and fail in most districts. 

Not failing and getting eligible for college are 2 entirely different things. Kids get low, but passing grades the first couple years of high school and then they can’t raise that gpa when they get older.  Happens a lot with our kids.  Really sucks when the kids don’t have great support at home and they  can blow their opportunity with decisions they made when they were 14-15 years old.  Lower the gpa the higher the ACT needs to be.  Farther you get into Hs the harder the classes are that you are taking.  

• Plus1 2
  • 4 weeks later...

On 4/17/2020 at 12:31 PM, teachercd said:

And on top if that, every kid is going to get really really really good grades for the last part of the school year.  No one is "failing"

If reports are correct that many closed schools are finishing the year “on line” and grading as pass/fail and those “pass” grades count as C or even D, then GPA and core grades are going down for quite a few (most presumably), then admission / qualifying standards are more difficult.  With no SATs/ACTs going on - the high school grades are heavier weighted apparently.  

Even some good students will be short changed in a way.  

7 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

If reports are correct that many closed schools are finishing the year “on line” and grading as pass/fail and those “pass” grades count as C or even D, then GPA and core grades are going down for quite a few (most presumably), then admission / qualifying standards are more difficult.  With no SATs/ACTs going on - the high school grades are heavier weighted apparently.  

Even some good students will be short changed in a way.  

Yeah that could be.  We are not doing that, I don't know which districts are doing the P/F thing though.

My guess is this...and this is just a guess because I have not read up on what everyone is doing.

1.  Parents will flip the f#&% out if their kid (who was failing) gets an F or a no pass.  They will argue that the situation caused the "F"

2.  Schools won't want to put up with that s#!t

3.  I don't know of any HS's that do a pass/no pass option but I am sure it is out there.

In my opinion, for kids that were borderline...this is a free pass to qualify. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Yeah that could be.  We are not doing that, I don't know which districts are doing the P/F thing though.

My guess is this...and this is just a guess because I have not read up on what everyone is doing.

1.  Parents will flip the f#&% out if their kid (who was failing) gets an F or a no pass.  They will argue that the situation caused the "F"

3.  I don't know of any HS's that do a pass/no pass option but I am sure it is out there.

I am more worried about the OK students ending up with a poor grade of “passing” instead of a B- or C+ for example in core courses that keep them out of college than a few below average kids getting an easy pass grade and getting in. But Im opposed to most of the admission standards above the most basic of having a HS diploma and meeting other non-academic items.  If schools want to have higher standards thats fine but its not the NCAA or conference role to keep the less worthy out imo. Admission ought to be fairly open to in state HS grads first and if room permits then out of state kids next. Foreign students get in if there is room.   Just my opinion as to publically supported / established colleges.  Private ones are free to pick n choose in any number of ways (except by constitutionally limited ones).  I dont see the harm to giving kids a chance to go to college - if they flunk out so be it but they should be allowed to try.   imo. 

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, teachercd said:

Agree.  We were basically told that 4th quarter grades can't have a negative effect on the total semester grades.  We were told to work with kids that were failing before school moved to online and do whatever we can to work with the student and parent to get those kids to pass (and document absolutely everything!)

Even though our grades aren't supposed to negatively effect, we are still giving "true" grades: 1(A), 2(B), etc...

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/1796343/2020/05/05/nebraska-huskers-football-recruiting-bellevue-west-zavier-betts-micah-riley-keagan-johnson/

Betts does not stand to benefit from a recent rule change announced by the NCAA Eligibility Center that waives the minimum standardized test scores for incoming student-athletes in 2020, because Betts did not meet the core-course requirements to enter his senior year.

He has already taken the ACT exam, though Betts has been unable to retake the test with dates canceled in response to the pandemic. If he meets his benchmark in the classroom this month, Huffman said, “I don’t see how they can hold (a test score) against you if they’re not even offering the test.”

Huffman said he’s hopeful Betts, in that scenario, would qualify through an exception allowed under the unusual circumstances.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, teachercd said:

There is no way that the NCAA will not let these guys qualify.  The slightest hint of a lawsuit will end all this.  There is not a judge in the world that would take the NCAA's side.

Let's hope you're correct for once !

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
37 minutes ago, GSG said:

Let's hope you're correct for once !

Ha!  No kidding!

There is no way, if there are no testings dates, that they will keep a kid from qualifying.  They might sort of do a "prop 48" type thing...where maybe they sort of start on some academic plan/probation???  

I don't know.