WR Zavier Betts

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

63 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Betts commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Missouri

This poll is closed to new votes

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frost recruited all these snaller WRs.  After a couple years he now learns the itty bitty committee of receiving corps is not strong enough to block.   Hes got TEs he doesnt throw to as well.  

Maybe a new coach can help.  Ron Brown can teach blocking.  Already on staff.  

Frost was trying to bring in bigger WR’s, they just couldn’t land them. Part of the reason Walters was let go and Lubick brought in.

The TE’s on the roster aren’t fast enough to get deep, down the middle like Frost wants, and still be able to block. It will be interesting with Vokalek eligible in 2020 and Hickman developing into a hybrid TE/WR for the offense. 

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

On so many of the swing passes the first defender mad the tackle often at or behind the line of scrimmage.  The receiver had very little chance to avoid the tackle for two reasons mostly: the blocker whiffed and the throw was misplaced making the catch awkward or even worse and the timing was off and Adrian did not look off the coverage enough to hold the defender from crashing in on the play.  The plays are too obvious and defense reads them so easily.  By design or poor execution ?   maybe a third of the plays looked doomed from shortly after the snap.   Adrian needs to throw down field more to keep the defenders home longer imo.  I am no expert and need to rewatch a lot more game film to be really fair to all.  We need more videos to be posted.  How come there are so few?   Copyrights or something?

All the dam ads on the board are bogging things down so much its really hard to just spend much time doing anything on this site already.  lol. 

39 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

On so many of the swing passes the first defender mad the tackle often at or behind the line of scrimmage.  The receiver had very little chance to avoid the tackle for two reasons mostly: the blocker whiffed and the throw was misplaced making the catch awkward or even worse and the timing was off and Adrian did not look off the coverage enough to hold the defender from crashing in on the play.  The plays are too obvious and defense reads them so easily.  By design or poor execution ?   maybe a third of the plays looked doomed from shortly after the snap.   Adrian needs to throw down field more to keep the defenders home longer imo.  I am no expert and need to rewatch a lot more game film to be really fair to all.  We need more videos to be posted.  How come there are so few?   Copyrights or something?

All the dam ads on the board are bogging things down so much its really hard to just spend much time doing anything on this site already.  lol. 

With a young and struggling o-line and no deep threat among the receivers, it’s difficult to throw the ball down field to keep the defense honest. Martinez also struggled to make an accurate throw and to the appropriate receiver downfield.  The swing pass topic has been beaten to death.  

• Plus1 2

I know the swing passes as play calls been debated but the issue is QB play itself and its fair share of the offensive struggles generally.  Not all Adrian as receivers and blocking and timing and scheme all a part of this.   Some want Adrian held harmless while others blame him the most.  Truth is in the middle Id say but if we get more of the same come Sept then we need changes all over (play calls, QB, WRs, TEs etc.).   We have speed enough at WR and RB.  We have experienced O line with another year of S&C, three QBs who have two full years to learn the plays.  No excuses imo.  The offense needs to score atleast 40 a game from get-go.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I know the swing passes as play calls been debated but the issue is QB play itself and its fair share of the offensive struggles generally.  Not all Adrian as receivers and blocking and timing and scheme all a part of this.   Some want Adrian held harmless while others blame him the most.  Truth is in the middle Id say but if we get more of the same come Sept then we need changes all over (play calls, QB, WRs, TEs etc.).   We have speed enough at WR and RB.  We have experienced O line with another year of S&C, three QBs who have two full years to learn the plays.  No excuses imo.  The offense needs to score atleast 40 a game from get-go.  

I agree that 40+ ppg is a great long-term goal for Frost's offense, but only 8 teams achieved that in 2019.  Going from 28 PPG to 35 points per game would be a 25% increase YoY, and NU would go from 72nd to top 20 (based on 2019 rankings).

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that 40+ ppg is a great long-term goal for Frost's offense, but only 8 teams achieved that in 2019.  Going from 28 PPG to 35 points per game would be a 25% increase YoY, and NU would go from 72nd to top 20 (based on 2019 rankings).

Would of done that last year with slightly better QB play and a couple kickers I think.  That is basically 1 more TD per game and improved special teams and healthy QB  will do that.  O line and better WRs and TE play will add to that and defense will get more TFLs and sacks etc.  More stops early and field position will be much improved too so scoring is helped and defense will play with s a lead snd thus more disruptively at times.  

10 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Would of done that last year with slightly better QB play and a couple kickers I think.  That is basically 1 more TD per game and improved special teams and healthy QB  will do that.  O line and better WRs and TE play will add to that and defense will get more TFLs and sacks etc.  More stops early and field position will be much improved too so scoring is helped and defense will play with s a lead snd thus more disruptively at times.  

I don't necessarily disagree with you fully, but before teams can go from point A to point C, there is generally a point B in the middle.  Also, take a look at the teams which scored 40+ in 2019.  These are the tops teams in the country.  Yes, it's a great long-term goal, but I think NU being in the top 20 in scoring offense is more attainable for 2020 and 2021.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/27