Our complete Weight Lifting and strength Approach/ results is abject failure

Spoiler

..the problems in Husker football program are complex, deep and multifaceted. A strong case could be made the whole entire football system is absolutely broken and current approach, methodologies etc have and are a failure..

...want to discuss a major issue, and it’s a sad one indeed, because it’s an area that absolutely be controlled in contrast to athletic ability etc..im talking about the players physical strength. More specifically the offensive line, however all players are part of same system so all players are in view with this, however it’s most glaring with O-line..

...a strong case could me made this is the physically weakest team in modern husker history (1980-present) ...we all know in general athletic ability, they are probably last in the big 10, however I’m talking about what can be controlled, and that’s the physical strength of the players..

this offensive line is and the whole team in general reflect a failed weight lifting and strength approach. I first just observe the players overall body composition, the linemen has no arms, chests, shoulder mass..I see tackles with fat flappy arms, can’t even see the triceps muscle..they all carrying about 35 pounds of bad, very bad weight (fat) ..I can’t understand what’s going on..I understand this isn’t a bodybuilder sport, I get it, however I allot can be discerned just by the composition of these men’s body composition...I see the whole o-line carries about 30 pounds of absolute horrible weight (fat)..I can’t understand the why behind this..

i watched he’s the huskers peers closey this season, in particular the penn state/ Ohio state game yesterday and observed both teams linemen profile..the contrast to what husker are is mind numbing, they reflect a successful powerlifting and nutrition program, they have huge cores (butt, thighs) and chest and shoulders, which having these 4 areas are a must for a offensive linemen.

the husker o line are pathetic in strength..again I don’t get this, how strong these players get can be changed, I understand coaches can’t make them more “athletic” so to speak but they can build there bodies..

...is any one else seeing this..? The local reporters are historically very insightful, detailed and accurate in their articles and I haven’t seen any of them write about this glaring, easy to see problem.. 

B133DE4B-3E46-45AE-89B0-6A7C5C9EC41A.jpeg

52C895A2-0778-424F-BDA5-C27C154F13C7.jpeg

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

I actually did....

Just seemed weird.  Ozigbo had to pull himself out of the game earlier this year after 2-3 solid runs.  He hadn't hardly played at all to that point, but what do they do during the week?

Coukd a lot, maybe the whole team, be poorly conditioned?  We already know they are poorly prepared.

Edited by gobiggergoredder

I've been slow to embrace this, but I'm starting to believe there is a link between some of these game ending injuries and the overall condition of the team.

Our DBs for example.  How many have shoulder injuries?  I think it's equal parts bad tackling but maybe they are just worn down.

I swear we cart off more O lineman than anyone we play against.  I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way.

...i hear often the how today’s college football has “changed, progressed, and evolved “ compared to the 90s generation of Football. In context the people who keep,regurgitating this are inferring how today’s football is somehow better, more advanced, faster etc..

this whole premise is insane crazy, and I can’t help but wonder do the people saying this, did they really watch 90s college football? The 90s top continuall top 20 teams were bigger, faster, stronger and way more physical.thanthe  current top 20 teams. Today it’s,like watching basketball on a football field..5 yard pass game offense...

”they” say how much the game has changed..inferring advancement..I disagree 1000%...the field is same size, I believe blocking, tackling and running are still involved..i also observe the commentators saying this are about 30 years old and haven’t seen first hand the bruising football style of the 90s...

..about any 90s,  Florida st, Miami, Huskers and several more could and would run over the current continual top 15 programs of Tóday.

2 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I've been slow to embrace this, but I'm starting to believe there is a link between some of these game ending injuries and the overall condition of the team.

Our DBs for example.  How many have shoulder injuries?  I think it's equal parts bad tackling but maybe they are just worn down.

I swear we cart off more O lineman than anyone we play against.  I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way.

...I agree, I’m persuaded it is directly linked to my thread I started about the physical strength of this team and the failed methodology into building their bodies..i have no PhD in this area, however it doesn’t require on to know the best injury prevention one can do, is to make your body as strong as possible...that’s not happening..

..it’s a byproduct of Mike Reilly’s overall philosophy to the game of football, he is extremely soft and he believes in a “finesse”style of play...that’s a failure of a approach..

...i remember well the documentaries and player interviews from the 90s and they confessed a very revealing truth behind their success...

Zach Weigert and others said “we looked forward to Saturday all week...because game day was a break from practice..”

• Plus1 1

Said the same to the wife last night.  Look at them (other teams throughout the day/night) and look at us.  If nothing more than the "eye ball" test there is something amiss with the S&C program.  Then looking at some guys and they look like they are carved from Granite, but it isn't translating.  We appear to be lacking the "functional fitness" arena in which our training isn't directly translating to expected work on the field.....

• Plus1 1

Anyone else also Notice things occurring with  Mike Riley teams and what he allows ..Look on the sidelines during the games you’ll see players sitting on the bench talking and talking with the fans that did not happen under Coach Tom Osborne you were standing,  you were standing and observing the football field. Mike Riley and is the absolute core problem. Players reflect his attitude and philosophy

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Wisconsin has their OLine doing hang cleans and snatches before the game.  Not with max weight but enough to get the blood flowing.  They showed this during their game preview on Game Day.  Didn’t catch the total discussion on the theory for this but obviously it works and has for years

Just getting their pump on to make their muscles look bigger so fans don't make stupid threads like this, most likely. 

• Plus1 9

...about 8 minuets into game last night I saw a event that encapsulates the whole thing, number 76 I believe, right tackle pancaked by D tackle right into the handoff area where Lee handed ball to RB..I reminded about 10 times and watched..this d tackle exploded straight into  number 76 chest and he went straight back and onto his back

..It was probably the most embarrassing thing to witness of the night..

..and what ensued is example of poor, weak, timid leadership..that player should have immediately been pulled and told to ride the pine until he decides to play football..but of course he remained in game.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Said the same to the wife last night.  Look at them (other teams throughout the day/night) and look at us.  If nothing more than the "eye ball" test there is something amiss with the S&C program.  Then looking at some guys and they look like they are carved from Granite, but it isn't translating.  We appear to be lacking the "functional fitness" arena in which our training isn't directly translating to expected work on the field.....

Functional Fitness.....dead on.  Great quote.

23 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Just getting their pump on to make their muscles look bigger so fans don't make stupid threads like this, most likely. 

You can't honestly think we're in good physical shape can you? While I think using pictures with chosen bad angles, and comparing arm definition is an unfair contrast (because then NFL players are wildly out of shape), there is no denying there are a handful of starters who have put on bad weight over the years. But I wouldn't include the OL in that. I would guess they are about 10 lbs heavier than what we averaged in the 90s, which is perfectly fine, but they appear weak and slow! They get pushed around and blown off the ball all the time. Maybe some of that is technique, and maybe some is strength training.  Who knows...

• Plus1 3