Two games to go bowling

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

Look, when Frost is coach and we play and lose to three top 5 teams in a year, I hope you'll find it within yourself to say "Hey, this was a tough schedule and we lost those conference games, but look who they were against." This year could end on a positive note, or not. We'll have to wait to find out.

Only two opponents are currently in the top 5, and likely only one by the end of the year. There is also a big difference between losing and getting curb stomped.

• Plus1 1

It appears our standards continue to get lower.  At the start of the 2000s the goal was to win a national championship, then it was to win a conference championship.  Next, it seems our program leadership was focused on a division title, and now it appears we are just hoping to become bowl-eligible.  Whoever writes the history book on Husker football 50 years from now will not be kind to Harvey Perlman.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, zoogs said:

Yeah, you didn't need to do any math there to make your "predictions". You could have just said "I'm really down on the Huskers because I think they stink."

They're not my predictions. They're ESPNs. I guess maybe you just don't understand statistics and math. Better to just have faith, I guess. Carry on, sir.

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

They aren't going bowling.  This whole Riley winning a big game once year isn't going to happen.

OSU was a low tier program with no expectations.  They played up while others played down.

We can't play up and we are going to get everyone's best shot.  This thing is done.

What do you think the Purdue win was? We came in as the underdog and won. We did it y'all!

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

We are 4-4 people.  We have gotten beat by great teams, and then theres that NIU crapper.  Purdue is still ranked ahead of us in ESPN's power Rankings.  Minnesota is the only team left on our schedule that is close to us in that ranking at #60.

I think one more win is more than possible, but other than that, not seeing that happen right now.  Now with that being said, I don't think Northwestern is a great football either.  I don't think that there offense is that great, but they do have better athletes than Rutgers, Illini,and Purdue.  So, what do we expect.?

We got beat by one great, one very good, one average and NIU. 

On 10/29/2017 at 6:01 PM, HuskerMav11 said:

At 4-4, we need to win two to become bowl eligible. And let's not sugar coat it. It's going to be tough.

With four games left( Northwestern, Penn State, Minnesota, and Iowa), we're not favored to win two. 

Record Odds::

8 - 4: 0.2%

7 - 5: 6%

6 - 6: 28%

5 - 7: 43%

4 - 8: 23%

Odds of going at least 6 - 6: 34%

Note:The numbers may not add to 100 due to rounding, don't be alarmed, the math checks out :)

EDIT: Numbers are from ESPNs FPI. Some how I forgot to include this in the original post. My bad.

The numbers used were as follows for odds of winning:

NW: 40%

MN: 40%

Penn State: 3%

Iowa: 35%

Yes, this is true.

Those stats are just measures of the past.

I don’t really care about them... we could play like that or we could find something that works and run with it.

Thats why they play the games.

Edited by Hayseed

Cant make chicken salad out our chicken sh!t.  Right.  If we would have beaten NIU, and maybe competed against Ohio St for at least a half and not given Wisky 1000 yards rushing, things would look a little better.  Iowa is a beast physically.  They are not a great team, but they will man handle us if we can't hang with Purdue players .   have never seen so many Nebraska players laying around after plays than I did the other night.  Never have.  Penn St will hummilate us, because they have too, and when we play Iowa, we may not have 22 players to suit up.  Minnesota is not a good team, but they are physical.  They will smack us in the mouth.  Can we take it is the question.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Cant make chicken salad out our chicken sh!t.  Right.  If we would have beaten NIU, and maybe competed against Ohio St for at least a half and not given Wisky 1000 yards rushing, things would look a little better.  Iowa is a beast physically.  They are not a great team, but they will man handle us if we can't hang with Purdue players .   have never seen so many Nebraska players laying around after plays than I did the other night.  Never have.  Penn St will hummilate us, because they have too, and when we play Iowa, we may not have 22 players to suit up.  Minnesota is not a good team, but they are physical.  They will smack us in the mouth.  Can we take it is the question.

I can't disagree with any of this.  I might add that Fitz usually gets NW's DL to play tough and have made us look soft in the past.

1 hour ago, FTW said:

If the the team that played @ West Lafayette shows up this Saturday, we don't win another game on our schedule. I think the teams remaining have more weapons and players who are a threat to score at any time.

Quite possible. Fortunate Purdue made so many mistakes, especially some of the dropped passes and coverage issues. Northwestern and Iowa have more weapons, not sure Minnesota does but they're good at making games ugly. 

Decker being out out for possibly the season is especially troubling.

10 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Yes, this is true.

Those stats are just measures of the past.

I don’t really care about them... we could play like that or we could find something that works and run with it.

Thats why they play the games.

Listen, I hope the Huskers win out. I really do. At the very least, I hope they make a bowl. Actually, at the very least, I hope they win at least one, because if they lose out, it will be the worst the program has seen since 1961.

Statistics are interesting. I'm not saying that ESPN, or whoever they pay to come up with this s#!t, has figured it out. In fact, the only way to prove that is in hindsight.

But this "We could find something that works and run with it" is akin to the same bulls#!t that Mike Riley is going to suddenly figure out how to start winning championships.

Mike Riley is a CEO, the type you want to work for, but not the type that makes your company elite. He stands behind his guys, no matter how bad they are, no matter how obvious it is to everyone else that they are under performing. And the only time that changes is when his ass in on the line.

But then when he has to go out and pick new ones, he can't handle that either. I'm sorry, but Bob Diaco is nothing but a dreamer but instead of being full of hope, he's only full of s#!t.

11 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Listen, I hope the Huskers win out. I really do. At the very least, I hope they make a bowl. Actually, at the very least, I hope they win at least one, because if they lose out, it will be the worst the program has seen since 1961.

Statistics are interesting. I'm not saying that ESPN, or whoever they pay to come up with this s#!t, has figured it out. In fact, the only way to prove that is in hindsight.

But this "We could find something that works and run with it" is akin to the same bulls#!t that Mike Riley is going to suddenly figure out how to start winning championships.

Mike Riley is a CEO, the type you want to work for, but not the type that makes your company elite. He stands behind his guys, no matter how bad they are, no matter how obvious it is to everyone else that they are under performing. And the only time that changes is when his ass in on the line.

But then when he has to go out and pick new ones, he can't handle that either. I'm sorry, but Bob Diaco is nothing but a dreamer but instead of being full of hope, he's only full of s#!t.

That’s all true,but if it makes you run down the team the entire game and hope for a loss to the point that the team thinks you’re against them, then that’s a problem.

It doesn’t sound like I’m talking about you though.

GBR!!!