Keep Riley? ND kept Brian Kelly

tmfr15

Just because you guys want Frost doesn't mean Riley is a bad coach. First off he took over a program with little talent in underclass when he came in . Don't say their was talent or we would be playing so many sophomores and freshmen right now. There was 1 senior drafted last year maybe 1 this year so please tell me where all the talent is. He's the only coach to win at Oregon St. since 1970 which all other coaches have 33% winning percentage. He also was in offered the USC job. So to say he's a terrible coach it's not true. Maybe not want you guys want at Nebraska but the reality is whoever is coach next year will have a better team because of all the depth they will have from this year.

16 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Brian Kelly had a history of winning at multiple levels.  Try again.  His Grand Valley State program would got back and forth with Northwest Missouri State.

Did you really bring this up winning 10 games in PAC 10 is way more creditable then D2 football.

10 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Just because you guys want Frost doesn't mean Riley is a bad coach. First off he took over a program with little talent in underclass when he came in . Don't say their was talent or we would be playing so many sophomores and freshmen right now. There was 1 senior drafted last year maybe 1 this year so please tell me where all the talent is. He's the only coach to win at Oregon St. since 1970 which all other coaches have 33% winning percentage. He also was in offered the USC job. So to say he's a terrible coach it's not true. Maybe not want you guys want at Nebraska but the reality is whoever is coach next year will have a better team because of all the depth they will have from this year.

Mike Riley is not a bad coach.  He is an average coach.  Nebraska can't succeed with an average coach.

Talent is subjective.  No one wins this argument

Dennis Erickson won at Oregon St.  In fact he was the first to do so

Perhaps him turning down USC proves his inability to make good decisions

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

The coach next year will have a better team because the players will know what they are doing. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

Mike Riley is not a bad coach.  He is an average coach.  Nebraska can't succeed with an average coach.

Talent is subjective.  No one wins this argument

Dennis Erickson won at Oregon St.  In fact he was the first to do so

Perhaps him turning down USC proves his inability to make good decisions

Erickson won with kids Riley recruited like Chad Johnson.  

Also Nebraska has been an average program for 20 yrs. 

My biggest concern with Riley is the age thing by the time it will take to make Nebraska Elite he will be retiring.

If you can get Frost do it but if you can't don't get rid of Riley because he's bringing in good talent maybe hire a top notch OC that's young and have him take over like Oklahoma did.

1 minute ago, Otterpop said:

My biggest concern with Riley is the age thing by the time it will take to make Nebraska Elite he will be retiring.

If you can get Frost do it but if you can't don't get rid of Riley because he's bringing in good talent maybe hire a top notch OC that's young and have him take over like Oklahoma did.

Chad Johnson was a 1-year player at Oregon State and was recruited by Dennis Erickson out of Junior College.  He and TJ Houshmandzadeh were both high profile JUCO recruits that helped Erickson at Oregon State.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

Mike Riley left Oregon St in 1998.  Chad Johnson didn't arrive until 2000

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Otterpop said:

He's an average coach, who hired average assistants, bringing in average players, and getting average results.

It's what he's been his whole career. 

• Plus1 2

I love this. We should keep Riley after a 5-7 season, a 9-3 season, and whatever happens this year. Why? Because ND kept on a coach that took them to a national championship game. 

I'm starting to think maybe we should just not allow new threads (other than the prayer and game day threads) to be created until December.

• Plus1 1

My friend had a very nice Cadillac three years, then it had a flat tire. After he fixed the flat tire, the car was great. I bought an old crappy car three years ago, and for three years, it has run like garbage. I wonder if I should sell it, or hope that it will run great next year?

Edited by MichiganDad3
  • Plus1 8