Why am I a Husker fan?

Damon B. brought up an  interesting topic on 1620 the Zone this morning. He was sharing a quote by a former husker player who said, “We (Huskers) need to find a coach that can bridge the gap between the ‘glory days’ fans with the fans of today. Then he asked this question, “Why am I a husker fan? Is it because my parents were?  Is it because I live in the state of Nebraska?

Is it because (for the young kids in our state) I want to be in the next Rex Burkhead?

For myself, I’m a ‘glory days’ fan. I am also a Tom Osborne fan. 

What about you HB folks: Why are you a Husker fan. An even better question is this:

Why are the younger folks Husker fans? Most of them weren’t even alive during the glory days. Do what draws them to be Husker fans?

• Plus1 1

The reason I am a Husker fan are:

1.  I was born & raised in Omaha, with parents and a family full of Cornhusker fans.  Dad was a UNL alum, and had 2 season tickets since early 60s.  Going down to Lincoln on gamedays was a big part of my life, and I was able to go to games on occasion as a kid.

2.  I attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and am a proud alumni of the school.

3.  I am a huge sports fan, so I like following all of the Cornhusker athletic teams.

• Plus1 1

Grew up in Lincoln during the 90's but honestly didn't care much about football until later in life.  I enjoy football and sports in general and as I got older being from Nebraska and living in another state helped me find a culture in Nebraska football I identified with. I like being a part of a community that is identified as being "good" fans. I like that we're knowledgeable, I like that we treat visiting fans well. It fits well with my view of sports bringing people and communities together. 

I think that last bit has made it harder to be a husker fan lately given that everything's so divisive now a days. I also see a lot more vitriol which rubs me the wrong way. 

• Plus1 1

Most younger Nebraska fans are fans because of their families, IMO. That's my case. I grew up in the glory days of the 90s and so it was also very, very easy for me to latch onto the passion and tradition because the team was super good.

Naturally, I don't think the program needs to be dominant to cultivate new fans, particularly in this state because of its uniqueness. The knowledge of the history, the overwhelming support, the sheer size of the program/fan base is enough to keep things going with the younger folks.

I think the bigger concern would be Generation Z and through no fault of their own. Most of them don't know what it means to win a national championship. Do they carry the same passion as their parents or Millennials who experienced it? Will they pass it along as effectively to their kids if the program can't resurface? That will be the question.

• Plus1 1

-I have lived in Nebraska my whole life

-Grandpa was a huge fan, Uncle is a huge fan

-Nothing compares to the special place this is and the fan base we have

-I am a fan now because the program needs support more than ever, we don't have a bandwagon following now like we did 20 years ago

• Plus1 3

Lived in Nebraska my entire life

Loved sports my entire life

Huskers did a lot of winning in the late 80s and early 90s to get me hooked

Football run in the 90s was unbelievable

Attended every home gave for five seasons while enrolled at UNL

Season ticket holder since 2012 - getting the next generation hooked

• Plus1 1

Born and raised in central Nebraska

One of my first memories is crying after we lost the 83 Orange Bowl

Grandparents had season tickets forever, remember going to games with them

Remember my dad swearing at Osborne many times during OU games

Remember listening on the radio to games while doing yardwork in the 80s/90s before TV took over

Attended UNL during the late 90s, never really thought hard to go anywhere else

Season ticket holder since the North Stadium expansion

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Born and raised in central Nebraska

One of my first memories is crying after we lost the 83 Orange Bowl

Grandparents had season tickets forever, remember going to games with them

Remember my dad swearing at Osborne many times during OU games

Remember listening on the radio to games while doing yardwork in the 80s/90s before TV took over

Attended UNL during the late 90s, never really thought hard to go anywhere else

Season ticket holder since the North Stadium expansion

You are truly a man after my own heart!  I thought it was cruel that we had to go to work the next day! It should’ve been a State day of mourning!:(

I was born and raised in Missouri but I never rooted for the Tigers. My alma mater was Northwest Missouri State U! (Up until last Saturday the Bearcats had won 37 consecutive games more than any other college team in any division!) But sat NWMSU I fell in love with an SOB (South Omaha Boy) and moved to Omaha in 1979. We married in 1980 and he introduced me to Husker football. Needless to say, he created a monster! I may not be Husker born or Husker bred but when I die I will be. Nebraska Cornhusker Red Dead! (And we are bringing up our grandsons in the Husker tradition! One of the first phrases out of their little mouths is GO BIG RED!

Lived in Nebraska my entire life (born across the river in Iowa which still kills my dad to this day haha)

My 4 uncles, 3 aunts, 9 cousins and grandparents on my dads side are all Husker fans except one uncle who is an OU fan.

Both my parents are Husker fans who have had season tickets since 92’

I grew up in the glory years of the 90’s but I still think I would be a Husker fan to this day had we not won any Nattys in the 90’s because of all of the Husker fans on my dads side of the family. 

This is my 5th year as a season ticket holder and I wouldn’t change a thing. My 5 year old son is a Husker fan because I am and I’m sure my daughter will grow up rooting for the Huskers as well. 

1954, Great Grandfather and Grandfather took me to see Nebraska play Hawaii I think.  Have been a fan ever since.  I have watched or attended almost every game since then, only while over seas in the mid to late 60's did I miss games, but read about them a week later when the papers arrived.