Why am I a Husker fan?

Because it's something that helps with my social identity - it's a communal thing I share with people that makes me feel like I belong. Because it scratches my desires for tribalism and for being a part of something bigger than myself. Because the university and AD has had enough moral fiber to keep me on board. Because it's fun to lose my mind and scream and celebrate and go a little wild cheering on my team sometimes.

Why am I a Husker?  My 10,000 word thesis follows.  Just kidding. My wife would say I could write such a thing.

Grew up on a farm in SD. (SDSU alum)  NU was the big school closest to us. Watched them as a kid wt uncles (Dad was big N Dame fan being Catholic and all).  My first memory was NU's win over LSU in the 70 NC game.  Then watching them and OU. The game of the century hooked me forever.

It seemed to me that it was the Nebraska values, which were not different than those of us farm kids from SD, that hooked me. Hard work, overcoming the glitzy programs with strength and perseverance and hard work.  Knowing that NU relied on farm boys, the pipeline, the walk ons all spoke to me that the average person, set in the right team environment could accomplish a lot.  NU was a system, a total team approach that valued team over individual success. Devaney, Osborne and Frank reinforced those values.  While Tom didn't start out wt the triple action, it to me, once instituted, was the most beautiful picture of teamwork I could find in college football - it was a thing of beauty.  Pulling guards, no look pitches, quick passes out of the option.  Teams knew what was coming but for the most part couldn't stop it. I thought it was more exciting to watch than any "Fun and Gun" offense out there.  Turner Gill, Rozier, Fryar were amazing to watch and it continued uninterrupted until Scott Frost who may have been the best pure option QB of them all (Tommie F being the best ever overall. Had to get the SF name in there somehow :D ).  After that we suffered from fumbles after fumbles and Eric Crouch and Lord were pretty much one man offenses.  After Frank, we lost our identity.  By saying that I don't mean we go back to a Navy or GT style triple option either.  But rather hard hitting, kick butt offensive and defensive lines and opportunistic offenses and risk taking aggressive defense.

Edited by TGHusker
  • Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

Does anyone think that folks who were either born in Nebraska or live here root for the Huskers because Nebraska doesn't have a pro team? 

I was raised just across the boarder in SD. I was a Husker fan and a Viking fan growing up.  But Huskers were the priority. 

I met my wife on a UNL related bus trip to the 70-71 Orange Bowl, 1st National Champs game.

We went on another school trip for the Nebraska vs  Oklahoma game of the century.

Great trips and now a special wife of 44 years.

Same seats in sec 107 for many-many years.

Cussed Tom Osborne when he could not beat Oklahoma, loved him when he did.

Could not understand Solich's dismissal and think that is the reason for today's issues

Never missed a game during Callahan mess.

Did not care for Pelini's attitude but liked his coaching, supported him to the end.

Think Riley is a good coach to a point, but I am not sure he can move the mountain in front of him.

No matter,  will be in my seats whoever is coaching.

Being loyal fans is just part of who we are.

We fans are in complete control of the sell out streak and should never let it be lost.

Supporting the team is just what we do in Nebraska.

GBR

HUCK

• Plus1 2
  • Born in Geneva, Nebraska
  • Starting watching (and listening on the radio) to Husker Football in 1970
  • I thought TO would never be as good as Bob D., but I was happy with big games on TV pre-conference, against OK, and usually one other game. TO almost always had us in the hunt for a MNC
  • I couldn't believe we didn't win in 1983. I watched at home, and when I returned to school my roommates had nearly 20 posters such as " I'm so blue they went for two", "I would rather have a beer than Mike Rozier"
  • 1993-1997 was unimaginable, with the exception  of the bad calls and the missed kick against FSU
  • I have lived in Louisiana, Indiana, Michigan and Texas, and I am a proud ambassador for the Huskers. It is sad that no one cares now. In the past people used to tell me how they hated to play the Huskers because too many players were injured, and they expected to lose. Frankie's beat down of Co-BIG champion Northwestern was the best. After 1997, all the people in Michigan would run their mouths at how tough the BIG was, and that Nebraska couldn't compete. They conveniently forgot the thrashings we gave to sparty two years in a row.
  • In 1988 I talked my wife into a night wedding so I could watch the Huskers ... and they beat Oklahoma! Many at the wedding were pissed because LSU played Miami that night, and I lived in Louisiana at the time.
  • I have had several dogs that headed for a back room or under the bed when a Husker game came on. My current dog stays on the couch. It has been several years since the Huskers were relevant enough to cause me to yell at the television. My wife thinks I have mellowed as I have aged. She is in for a big surprise  when Frost is hired!
Edited by MichiganDad3
  • Plus1 4

I was born and raised in Nebraska, living there the first 23 years of my life.

Practically everyone I knew was an avid Husker fan.

Remember playing pickup football on fall Saturdays with my buddies. The game was always on AM radio, anywhere you went, with Lyle Bremser announcing.

Attended UNL in the early 80's and had season tickets while I was a student.

Attended many home and away games from the 80's through the 90's and until about 2001.

Went to the 97 Orange Bowl game.

Was and still am a huge Tom Osborne fan.

Was at the debacle in Boulder in 2001, that game relieved some of my passion to attend games in person.

Have lived outside of Nebraska (in Colorado) for the last 31 years and have wished numerous times that I could give it up but it just won't go away.

Still pretty much drop whatever I'm doing to watch the Huskers play even when the outlook is bleak. There's been maybe 3 times I've actually turned it off and walked away in the last 15 years.

If these last 15 years haven't broken me of it, I'm guessing nothing ever will.

• Plus1 1

I haven't spent more than a few days in the state of Nebraska at a time. Why am I a Husker fan?

My dad is an alum (Bachelor's and Master's degrees) after growing up in Lincoln. I spent my Saturday's as a kid watching the Huskers play. I remember as a kid living in Texas not understanding why I was the only one excited that Nebraska won the National Championship in 94. I've spent my entire life rooting for this team. My entire family on his side are Husker fans. My wife is from Nebraska. 

I still remember my misspent days rooting for Green Bay because of Ahman Green. 

Edited by Branno
  • Plus1 2

Military brat. Moved to Nebraska in the 80s. Cheered for whoever played just to be a pain to my friends and older brother. Left the state and became a diehard fan (before championships). I have converted other fan by taking them to games and experiencing the atmosphere there.

• Plus1 1

Born and raised in Nebraska, remember growing up listening to Lyle Bremser on the radio every Saturday in the fall. Last lived in Nebraska in 1990. Have only been to Memorial Stadium twice, the last time being 1983 vs UCLA. Was at Kinnick Stadium for Bo's last game.  Always been a Husker fan, always will be.

• Plus1 2