Rodgers says keep Riley

Hilltop

12 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

How would keeping Riley help with stability? Since he's been here he has nearly replaced his entire coaching staff not because they left for promotions but because they sucked, he still hasn't got rid of all the "toxins" from a player revolt in year 1 and the team has no identity.  Riley has been the opposite of stability since his first game.

This!  Plus, Riley is nearing his mid-60's.  I've preached stability for quite a while now, but Riley was never hired to be a long term solution.  Even if Riley was retained another season or two, it's likely he'd replace even more of his staff.  There has been very little stability with this staff and with the head man nearing retirement age it's doubtful he ever brings stability.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

This!  Plus, Riley is nearing his mid-60's.  I've preached stability for quite a while now, but Riley was never hired to be a long term solution.  Even if Riley was retained another season or two, it's likely he'd replace even more of his staff.  There has been very little stability with this staff and with the head man nearing retirement age it's doubtful he ever brings stability.

Great point about NU being anything but stable under Riley.  Wild swings in effort by the players.  No consistent offensive attack.  Talk from Riley about wanting to be top 3 in the conference, but no actual commitment in the run game.  One or two wins against decent opponents (Michigan State & UCLA) in 2015, followed by ass whippings in the past calendar year by Ohio State, Iowa, Tennessee, Wisconsin, and Ohio State.  Hail Mary attempts to switch up the coaching staff 2 years into Riley's tenure.  I don't see how there is anything pointing to long-term stability with Riley.

• Plus1 2

On 11/1/2017 at 11:54 AM, Throw Dem Bones said:

Pretty sure him posting on why the Jet saying to keep Riley is opening up conversation on why to keep Riley.. Not posting why to get Frost.. Now if is there is a KEEP MR MEGATHREAD that I'm missing I think he's good to go!

I do agree with JR on keeping Riley. With the schedule and recruiting class we still kind of have it could benefit us in having a wait and see approach. it's not like keeping MR one more year will set us back to the stone-age... right?! 

I have a hard time believing with what the current staff is putting out on the field that any recruits won't be willing to stay with better leadership and outlook of program.  Be it Frost or Venables or whoever...if we bring in a solid young/upcoming/proven coach it will only help recruiting long term and most likely short term.  Par for the course if you are in the coaching game where tackling the issue of retaining a recruiting class when you take on a new position.  I'm sure that it is HC 101 to do this as a top priority.  I'm not a hateful person and I respect MR but it is time to move on after this season.  Sometimes it is necessary to set healthy boundaries and people arent super stoked but this is adulting...

13 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I'd be willing to bet every B1G coach wants to keep Riley too.

When Riley is fired, there will be a lot of comments from his coaching peers about how it’s tough that he was fired so soon at NU and wasn’t given much time to turn things around and how great of a man he is. They think he’s a great man, because they enjoy being able to beat him on a regular basis. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When Riley is fired, there will be a lot of comments from his coaching peers about how it’s tough that he was fired so soon at NU and wasn’t given much time to turn things around and how great of a man he is. They think he’s a great man, because they enjoy being able to beat him on a regular basis. 

Yep!  

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's almost guaranteed coaches will say this, and we'll feel bad, for no reason.  

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

They'll wax poetic but the reality is his team and his program is failing right now. Many of his coaching peers won't know much if anything about the situation other than the record and surface level details. I typically take that kind of response with a grain of salt. It's simply too difficult in this day and age to buy the 'he needs more time' argument when you look at the current product and the length of time it has taken to create this product.

P.S. I know you probably know all this. I'm just using your post as a jumping off platform. :thumbs

• Plus1 1

Rodgers was a great player. Kudos to him for that. But that doesn’t make his opinion any more valid than anyone else’s. Johnny is about Johnny. He strikes me as someone about self-promotion and getting his name in the news. And it’s an annual embarrassment when he shows up at the Heisman ceremony representing the University and looking like some cheap pimp. 

54 minutes ago, Enhance said:

They'll wax poetic but the reality is his team and his program is failing right now. Many of his coaching peers won't know much if anything about the situation other than the record and surface level details. I typically take that kind of response with a grain of salt. It's simply too difficult in this day and age to buy the 'he needs more time' argument when you look at the current product and the length of time it has taken to create this product.

P.S. I know you probably know all this. I'm just using your post as a jumping off platform. :thumbs

lbJpOId.gif

• Plus1 1