Rodgers says keep Riley

Hilltop

2 hours ago, Redux said:

I'm all for giving a coach time too.  I liked what he was building on the recruiting side, and I liked the promising way the offense was leaning before this season started.

However, it's year 3.  The QB we needed for this system to work basically has played from terrible to okay now which is not good enough.  We lost to a MAC team at home, not good enough.  We got blown out at home twice in 2 weeks in conference play, not...good...enough.  We almost have a losing record VS Purdue, not ......   good..............enough.  We haven't beaten Iowa since we fired Pelini.........do I need to say it?

Rileys.............gotta..............go.

• Plus1 1

37 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Met Johnny Rodgers once for an autograph signing at the Oak View Mall and left very disappointed. Dude was all about the money and didn’t give two sh*ts about the fans.

Met Crouch twice and Rozier once and never paid a dime for both their autographs.

So with that said I could give two sh*ts on what Johnny had to say

This is off topic but relevant to your autograph experience.

Johnny was the first Husker autograph I ever got. It was about 1971 at some tour event in Columbus while he was still playing, before he won the Heisman. I don’t remember what he was like at all and haven’t seen him since.

Met Crouch and Rozier each once after their playing days. Crouch was very friendly, engaging and talkative. It was right after he was done playing for NU. He acted like there was no other place he’d rather be. He signed a Husker helmet, my Heisman helmet and I purchased an authentic jersey which he signed. At that same event, the exact same jersey auctioned for over $1200....I got mine for only the cost of the jersey :D He posed for a picture with my son. Very nice and gracious.

Rozier was at some event with multiple Huskers quite a few years after his playing days. He sat at a private table, inaccessible behind the stage, chain smoking cigs and drinking heavily. I wasn’t overly impressed but I can’t really comment on him otherwise as I didn’t really talk to him other than to thank him for the autograph. He didn’t seem to be enjoying himself but it was a large crowd and I can imagine that it would get old and boring.

I didn't see any reason why the 2017 team shouldn't be better than the 2016 team. I didn't have an exact win total in mind, but figured it would be an eye and gut test.

Weirdly enough, it was the Rutgers win that turned me. The team had four games under its belt. The bar was low and the need for redemption was high. It's not that they didn't play with fire, it's that they just weren't very good. Wisconsin and Ohio State made it clear just how low we'd dropped in the conference pecking order. We weren't favored against Purdue, and we shouldn't be favored in any of our remaining games. 

The minute I started thinking about next year, I realized there wasn't a good reason to expect it would be any better. It's certainly possible, but that's a risky bet in itself. 

Looking for a new coach after three years is unfortunate, but it shouldn't be considered impatient at this point. 

• Plus1 3
55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We can find former players by the dozens who want to keep Mike Riley.

We can find former players by the dozens who want to fire Mike Riley.

At what point does the opinion of former players reach equilibrium and we stop paying attention to them?

When they are Johnny Rogers we never should have started. 

57 minutes ago, brophog said:

Every person's opinion is weighted by the quality of argument, not street value of their name or proximity to the program.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that's the case. Johnny Rodgers' opinion was likely sought primarily because of his name. Pit any voice here against the voice of a former Husker, especially a Husker from the glory days, and you'll witness a clear difference in how much value is assigned to one opinion over the other.

Personally, I've never spent much time caring about or seeking out the opinions of former players. The trouble is a lot of people do care... particularly older fans.

2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe that's the case. Johnny Rodgers' opinion was likely sought primarily because of his name. Pit any voice here against the voice of a former Husker, especially a Husker from the glory days, and you'll witness a clear difference in how much value is assigned to one opinion over the other.

Personally, I've never spent much time caring about or seeking out the opinions of former players. The trouble is a lot of people do care... particularly older fans.

Insert "should be". 

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Well, I’d sure care a lot more about his opinion if it agreed with mine :lol:

Seriously though, we should place at least a little value on the opinions of those who have been there,  who understand a winning culture, who obviously care about the program and who probably still have a little insider insight into the program. As much as I may disagree with Rodgers on this issue, I still think his opinion is of some value. It’s not that I disagree with the basis of his opinion but rather the illogical conclusion he arrives at. We all want stability and continuity but most of us recognize this isn’t any kind of stability worth having.