Rodgers says keep Riley

Hilltop

2 hours ago, Dewiz said:

Met Johnny Rodgers once for an autograph signing at the Oak View Mall and left very disappointed. Dude was all about the money and didn’t give two sh*ts about the fans.

Met Crouch twice and Rozier once and never paid a dime for both their autographs.

So with that said I could give two sh*ts on what Johnny had to say

The old wise ones call him “Goodie the Get” not Johnny the Jet.....good reason for that....And every time he speaks all I hear is half drunk rhetoric to feed his agenda ....to collect all the free money he can from Husker Nation while he is still breathing. Nice run Goodie. Goodnight.

Edited by Mary Pats BOB

So the only point of this that I will make is, it all depends on who we hire next.  Interesting to see how Wisky recruits in the 30's yearly, but are always in contention to win the B1G.  So, I guess at the end of the day, I want a staff no matter where we recruit at in rankings, that puts a Top 15 program on the field.  Something we haven't had or been for some time now.  Can Riley do that?  HAsn't so far.  Will he get better players here?  Will he coach up what he gets here?  Haven't seen any of this getting done yet.  In fact, I think we are seeing the opposite happen right now and we are regressing at some areas that are suppose to be this staffs strong points.  Bookie recruit, was  pipe dream.  This kid was never going to come here.  He was playing the system.  Waiting for a better deal to come along so to speak.

Our recruiting toolers were using him as an anchor for this class to keep us relevant going into signing day.  Now I think without him are in the 50's?  One player can not make or break a recruiting class if you recruiting solid talented players.  One player can't do that to a class.  Its window dressing 101.  Work your tails off to get that one recruits that turns peoples heads.  Get that one signed because it changes the whole picture of the class.  Thats not recruiting to make a program better.  Thats recruiting to flash some higher numbers than before.  Thats bogus.  Window dressing.  Its all this staff knows how to do.  

• Plus1 2

He has a point on the fans acting emotionally and changing their opinion with the direction of the wind.

Remember all the posts the past two years saying "if only we had Tom Herman" Nebraska would be so much better.  Against  the garbage defenses in the Big 12 he's clinging to the 48th offense in the country and lost to a crappy BIG team and he's got a loaded roster to work with. 

Strong had a ton of success then went to Texas and didn't.  Herman had  a ton of success, goes to Texas and so far is struggling too.  At some point you have to look at the common ingredient and consider maybe it aint the coach.  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Strong had a ton of success then went to Texas and didn't.  Herman had  a ton of success, goes to Texas and so far is struggling too.  At some point you have to look at the common ingredient and consider maybe it aint the coach.  

Totally agree on that last sentence. The problem in this analogy is two of the three coaches being referenced are making it work elsewhere, so it's hard to conclude Nebraska and Texas are similar in this respect. Though, if you took away the two recent Riley losing seasons at Oregon St, you could argue he's slightly worse at Nebraska than before. Not a strong argument, though.

The second problem is you're overstating Herman's struggles and ignoring he's in year 1. I don't care who comes next year, if they do what Herman is doing right now, I'm happy. Very promising year 1. 

His losses are to Maryland, who actually had a QB in that game, his first game as coach. The other 3? Teams ranked 4. 10, 12, and he's the only one that can seem to beat ISU. He's blowing out who he is supposed to blow out, and those ranked losses are by a combined 11 points, with two of them going to OT. He also has an outside chance of getting his scoring offense and scoring defense into the top 30, something Nebraska hasn't done in forever. He's doing way, way better than his predecessor, metrically speaking. Very promising first year, indeed.

In short, year 1 Herman is a terrible analogy for year 3 Riley. Herman is doing everything you realistically expect a year 1 coach to do, being right on pace for a huge year 2. While he's likely to be a 6 or 7 win team this year due to some close losses, he's doing things we've wished a Nebraska coach would do since 2001.

• Plus1 3

13 hours ago, Rike Miley said:

Im actually really wondering what goes through your mind when watching this team play? It took me 7 years to fall off the Pelini bandwagon, so Im usually one for giving coaches time, but anyone with a pair of eyes can see that this is NOT good football. And when you break down film its even worse. 

It is mind boggling for sure.

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Well, I’d sure care a lot more about his opinion if it agreed with mine :lol:

Seriously though, we should place at least a little value on the opinions of those who have been there,  who understand a winning culture, who obviously care about the program and who probably still have a little insider insight into the program. As much as I may disagree with Rodgers on this issue, I still think his opinion is of some value. It’s not that I disagree with the basis of his opinion but rather the illogical conclusion he arrives at. We all want stability and continuity but most of us recognize this isn’t any kind of stability worth having.

I agree with what you're saying. And don't get me wrong - I think more weight should be added to the words of a former player or coach. Someone who has been there. I've just personally never been that interested in it because I can usually guess what they're going to say. I also think there's a fine line between sharing an opinion in a proactive, helpful way and sharing it because 'that's just how it used to be.'

I definitely don't understand how Rodgers arrives at his conclusion.

15 hours ago, lo country said:

With the loss of Bookie, we slipped to 49th overall in recruiting.  When I last checked, that leaves us 10 guys....with one OL recruit.......

Rileys classes have been the same as Bo's with worse results.  I see nothing in this staff that bodes the ability to develop talent.  For example the following:

Jaimes and Farniok wouldn't be playing if not for injury.  Same with Decker.  The crown jewel of the 2016 class was Lamar Jackson.  A 4* safety moved to CB.  Kalu moved to safety.......  The confusion at RB.  Receivers dropping balls at an alarming rate, game 8 before Riley and Co realize that the TE is an eligible receiver and the list goes on and on.  Not even throwing in the pi$$ poor clock management from a veteran coach and staff.  Riley doomed himself bringing in a subpar staff from the jump.  Had he brought in a complete new crew it might've been different.  

The only way I could remotely see him stay is to win out or go 7-5 and immediately fire Cav and Langs.  Maybe even Davis (2 games less than 100 yards...)  Basically I'd clean house.  Probably let Diaco go.  His bent and broken D sucks (it's his version of the 3-4).

If after year 3 he has to replace the majority of his coaches and this after he had let go of coaches in year 2 and year 1 - it tells me the problem is at the top.  He isn't managing the team, his coaches, and the great opportunity he had presented to him when he came to NU.  Great guy - but past performance generally repeats itself unless something drastic occurs to alter it. He had that opportunity when he came here - to start fresh with a new staff.  Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is the definition of..:ahhhhhhhh

It is true wt the coaching staff and it is true wt NU football as a whole.  To get different results we need to do something different  - pay for a rising, high potential coach or a great experienced coach. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, HuskerMack said:

This is all you need to know that MR R is gone you couldn't touch these for under 60 at anytime over the past few years.

image.png.9d66308dad8b225c84b6bcc592b4e282.png

That is amazing.  Sell out streak isn't far behind.  NU needs to jump start the interest.  Hire Frost, start winning again and those tickets will go up in value quickly.