RUMOR: Decision on Mike Riley Already Made, Will Be Let Go

2 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Decision probably has been made but that is more speculation/common sense than a rumor from me.

They don't appear to have told Riley yet as he has continued recruiting and is bringing in players for OVs this weekend.

Maybe Riley stays on in some capacity at NU, just not coaching.  Maybe he is selling the University and what it has to offer, but not him as a coach?

• Plus1 1

The hiring process has to get a little complicated. Part of the decision about retaining Riley has to turn on who is out there and interested in replacing him. To figure that out, you have to put feelers out there. Unless that’s dealt with very discreetly, it looks like Riley is done, when that decision may not have been made yet.

But I have to believe Riley is gone. The fan base is down on him and ready for a change. Announcing Riley will be returning would be a great way for Moos to piss off the fan base just a few months after starting the job. He doesn’t want his tenure here to start with ending the sellout streak and alienating the fans.

2 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

The hiring process has to get a little complicated. Part of the decision about retaining Riley has to turn on who is out there and interested in replacing him. To figure that out, you have to put feelers out there. Unless that’s dealt with very discreetly, it looks like Riley is done, when that decision may not have been made yet.

But I have to believe Riley is gone. The fan base is down on him and ready for a change. Announcing Riley will be returning would be a great way for Moos to piss off the fan base just a few months after starting the job. He doesn’t want his tenure here to start with ending the sellout streak and alienating the fans.

Yep Moos keeping Riley would be a complete disappointment. Moos has been saying the right words to fire up the fanbase since he was hired and he is building great excitement, it would all be a big let down if he announced Riley was returning. I also think it would end the Sell Out streak.

I really wish they could find a way for riley to "retire" and they could just buy him out.  He seems like a decent guy and i hate to see his career (probably) end like this.  That said, its very clear the quality of play is not headed in a positive direction.  I would like to ask riley if he regrets not going out and getting top notch coordinators when he had the chance to.  He made his bed when he said he would then brought in the OSU goon squad.

I did receive a text from a guy in Oregon that hasn't been wrong in quite some time about coaching hires. At least the ones we talk about. 

He said that from his source in Oregon that Scott Frost has already agreed to be the coach at NU.

5 years 24 million

"Appears that Frost has accepted this offer. Expect a smooth transition after this season as Riley steps down and Frost takes over"

FWIW

Edited by Coach Power'T
  • Plus1 4
40 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

I did receive a text from a guy in Oregon that hasn't been wrong in quite some time about coaching hires. At least the ones we talk about. 

He said that from his source in Oregon that Scott Frost has already agreed to be the coach at NU.

5 years 24 million

"Appears that Frost has accepted this offer. Expect a smooth transition after this season as Riley steps down and Frost takes over"

FWIW

Oh ok, cool .  Thread should be closed then , Scott’s coming home.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

5 years 24 million

FWIW

That's a heckuva rumor. Here's hoping it's correct. We sure could use a smooth transition.

• Plus1 1
54 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

5 years 24 million

FWIW

Not that I'm ready to buy it hook, line, and sinker but the numbers look right.

11 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I really wish they could find a way for riley to "retire" and they could just buy him out.  He seems like a decent guy and i hate to see his career (probably) end like this.  That said, its very clear the quality of play is not headed in a positive direction.  I would like to ask riley if he regrets not going out and getting top notch coordinators when he had the chance to.  He made his bed when he said he would then brought in the OSU goon squad.

I think the Riley hire is still more of an issue than who he brought with him. Hindsight benefits this argument, naturally. However, several assistants have come and gone and the product on the field is at the lowest point it has been in a decade. The one major constant through the last three years has been the head coach.