What did we learn?....Northwestern

I somewhat wonder how in the world Pat Fitzgerald keeps coaching after some of his blunders as well.  I mean really bad coaching on both sidelines today.  I don't know how this can get worse from here out.  The staff and players at this point have nothing less to play for other than pride.  So if we have any players with pride and some kind of reputation to uphold, i expect to see it on display in the last 3 games.  

I am interested in seeing who shows up and who packs it in now.  Its going to be hard to play for this crappy units, but still, I think as long as the players play hard, even if in the wrong positions, that moves this program ahead.  Is Minny winnable?  I have to think so.  I have to think that we have enough left in the tank to win that game.  But I dont know right now.  5-7 is expected record now.  I don't know if we can even compete against Iowa and Penn St.  Iowa at least plays down to its competitors ability.  Penn St is going to be mad after a 3 1/2 hour wait to resume a game today where they had early command.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

The game was over when it even went to OT.  We all know that.  That's what this program is.

I think Langs lost the game at the end of the fourth qtr.  We are at mid field with a 1st down.....instead of playing to move the chains by getting a few yards on each down and going for a last second field goal, he wastes a down by going deep down the sidelines.  Now, perhaps that was Tanners decision and there were multiple reads, but I would still blame Langs for giving him that option.  Langs and Cav should have been gone when our not so "special" teams coordinator was let go.

Edited by adc7236
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I already knew this, but Riley finds ways to lose games that should be winnable. Northwestern was gift-wrapping this game to NU in that 3rd quarter and then NU hit a couple big plays to get to the 25 yard line in the 4th quarter. 3 runs into the LOS and a FG by Brown puts NU up by 10. That would have pretty much put the game away. Even after the INT, the defense can’t make a stop, allowing NW to tie the game. Then Nebraska went on the slowest 5 minutes drive of all time. I understand not wanting to leave time for NW to drive down the field for the win, but why is Riley killing time and being conservative before NU is in scoring position. He basically played for OT. Then allowing the 2nd down screen call was the nail in the coffin. NU hasn’t run a good screen in 2 3/4 years, but that’s going to be the go-to call in OT. Riley is a loser. His teams find ways to lose, rather than win. He needs to go. 

What I didn't get was playing for OT on O then calling a timeout after NW's 1st-down play. Jumped from conservative to too aggressive. You can't assume we'll get the stop there, the timeout just gave NW more time to drive on us. Didn't end-up harming us but it came close. 

As far as the OT playcalling goes we should have tried running. 3yds is a successful play when you are in 4-down territory.  Our redzone woes continue. 

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

This.

Pat is really not a bad coach.  His management at times is questionable for sure, but he does something Riley fails to.  He does more with less.  We are much more talented than Northwestern.  He is an example of a coach who gets the most out of his players.  If we had a coach like that we would be winning the West just about every year, the talent is there.

Edited by Frost Advisory
  • Plus1 6
2 hours ago, Frost Advisory said:

Pat is really not a bad coach.  His management at times is questionable for sure, but he does something Riley fails to.  He does more with less.  We are much more talented than Northwestern.  He is an example of a coach who gets the most out of his players.  If we had a coach like that we would be winning the West just about every year, the talent is there.

He makes one bad decision after another. Just because he can't recruit doesn't excuse his horrible decision making.

Edited by brophog
  • Plus1 1