Bob Diaco after Northwestern loss

ScawFraw

On November 8, 2017 at 9:24 PM, El Diaco said:

I think he probably underestimated the urgency here and should have made some adjustments to his process that would’ve allowed for playing a bit more competitively this year but that might be a lot more difficult than we realize

There was a statement I made about Iowa State's defense a few weeks ago that applies. I stated that it wasn't what they were doing that I liked, but it was that they are willing to change what they are doing. Iowa St since Campbell has taken over has been built on the idea of being a multiple defense, in fronts and coverages, a philosophy I believe Diaco shares, but they have been very willing to change everything to get whatever combination of personnel on the field that best makes things work. 

That's the difficulty in coaching. You must have a belief in fundamental principles in order to have a cohesive system, but you must be flexible enough to make what you have work. 

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, brophog said:

There was a statement I made about Iowa State's defense a few weeks ago that applies. I stated that it wasn't what they were doing that I liked, but it was that they are willing to change what they are doing. Iowa St since Campbell has taken over has been built on the idea of being a multiple defense, in fronts and coverages, a philosophy I believe Diaco shares, but they have been very willing to change everything to get whatever combination of personnel on the field that best makes things work. 

That's the difficulty in coaching. You must have a belief in fundamental principles in order to have a cohesive system, but you must be flexible enough to make what you have work. 

Bingo! It works like that with offense also, and head coaching, and everything. You should have an identity and a cohesive system in place over all disciplines but the real key to being an effective coach or coordinator is making whatever you got on Saturday work. That is an area we've been woefully lacking in going back to Tom Osborne days. He was always tweaking things to make it work. The 4 guys since? Nada.