Member what Oregon State fans told us when Riley was hired?

Just now, Redreign22 said:

I pissed him off. I have a .edu email for life. So he was sure to get it and open it. Im sure most fan email was getting trashed.

Having a .edu email address isn't anything special. I could register a .edu domain without being affiliated with any sort of educational institution.

I'm skeptical, as many will be, that you're not just full of s#!t. His response doesn't sound like an email from a chancellor. It sounds like a message board response...

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Having a .edu email address isn't anything special. I could register a .edu domain without being affiliated with any sort of educational institution.

I'm skeptical, as many will be, that you're not just full of s#!t. His response doesn't sound like an email from a chancellor. It sounds like a message board response...

This is the chain. I sent it to Perlman's email with my Husker account, and received an email from his account. I don't give a damn what you believe. Someone asked to see what he replied and I showed them. Who would make this up , and for what purpose? 

This is not Nebraska football.

HD
Hal Daub <hdaub@nebraska.edu>

|
Sat 9/23, 11:03 AM

You can appreciate the volume of messages so I apologize for this tardy response.  Fan and alumni Input helps us do our work better and the voices we heard influenced this matter.  We have the opportunity to become that Championship Team we all would like to have.  Thanks again and GBR.  Hal

Sent from my iPhone

MO

Microsoft Outlook
Sat 9/16, 6:57 PM
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups: hhawks@nebraksa.edu (hhawks@nebraksa.edu) Your message couldn't be delivered. The Domain Name System (DNS) reported that the recipient's domain does not exist. Contact the recipient by some other means (by

L
@huskers.unl.edu

|
Sat 9/16, 6:57 PM

The original email on this chain was sent 11/1/15.
This was not the right coach to fit Nebraska's culture and expectations at that time.
This is not the right coach to fit Nebraska's Culture or expectations at this time.
I wish I had been wrong.
Hire Scott Frost and let him heal the program before we sink any further into obscurity.

Thank you for your time.

Proud Husker Alumni 

L
@huskers.unl.edu

|
Sun 11/1/2015, 6:47 PM

Sir I appreciate your response to my concerns. As an alum it means a great deal to me. Please take note of other fans. The environment is turning toxic around the program I love.

Scott Frost is the guy to heal the wounds. This is all the input I have on the matter as I respectfully acknowledge you are a busy man.

Thank you

HD
Hal Daub <hdaub@nebraska.edu>

|
Sun 11/1/2015, 6:02 PM

Thanks for your considered expression of concerns and we appreciate your commitment. Hal

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.
Sent: Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:56 PM
To: seichorst2@unl.edu; Harvey S Perlman; hhawks@nebraksa.edu; Tim Clare; Jim Pillen; Bob Whitehouse; Robert Schafer; Kent Schroeder; Hal Daub
Subject: This is not Nebraska football.

Greetings. My wife and I are proud alumni. My entire family pride themselves with lifetime support and association with Nebraska, specifically football.

This team has always represented the state and fans on a level that is unprecedented in sports. I am more than concerned presently at the coaching staff that has been selected to lead our student athletes. They do not, and honestly will not meet the expectations of Nebraska.

I have a fairly engaged pulse with the heartbeat of the fan base. They are becoming apathetic. Many are vowing to not renew their tickets, provide donations, buy gear, or watch the games unless a change is made. This is troubling and can not be allowed to continue.

A mistake was made in this hire. The principals of sunk cost apply. Regardless of what money has been committed retaining this staff will result in revenue loss well beyond that expense if the fans lose support.

I am more than sure if it is purely a revenue concern the fans and alumni will collectively support a new coaching staff fundraiser to meet the needs.

Making a bad hire is a mistake any school can make. Nebraska football may never recover if immediate steps are not taken to rectify this error.

Thank you for your time.

Go Big Red

HP
Harvey Perlman <hperlman1@unl.edu>

Reply all|
Sun 11/1/2015, 5:59 PM
@huskers.unl.edu;
+8 more

I understand.  You wouldn’t write unless you cared.  But hope you will consider this:

You don’t want to give Riley a few years to recruit?  Well, consider how this will look when we recruit a replacement.   Anyone want to be football coach where you will have half a season to prove yourself and you will have to play with the players the former coaches left.  And, oh by the way, it might be hard to recruit any new players because Nebraska doesn’t give you a chance if you are not immediately successful so players can’t count on you being around if they come here.  And don’t try to use excuse of injuries to your top players or that the former coaches didn’t recruit very well.   Won’t work.   Can’t wait to see who we would hire under those circumstances.  In such circumstances I hope we would get lucky but I’m skeptical.

Harvey Perlman
Edited by Redreign22
Typo

7 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Good god............the dude isn't a bad guy, he's actually a really nice guy, he's just a crappy football coach. Folks need to quit attacking the guys character and understand that he's a decent man that was in way over his head here and never should've been here as the football coach. It's as simple as that, just because he's a bad football coach doesn't mean the guy is basically a P.O.S. 

Exactly.  I know people are pissed but he's not a bad person by all accounts.  That's why I'm hoping moos waits til the end of the season.  Give him a chance to go out gracefully and maybe you can lump sum buy him out and save a little $.  Fire him now and that goes away.  Moos is already talking to ppl regardless.

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Exactly.  I know people are pissed but he's not a bad person by all accounts.  That's why I'm hoping moos waits til the end of the season.  Give him a chance to go out gracefully and maybe you can lump sum buy him out and save a little $.  Fire him now and that goes away.  Moos is already talking to ppl regardless.

Yes, I disliked the hire from the start but I don't dislike the guy. Let him finish the season and bow-out gracefully. Going for the "F*** YOU" fire now will not help matters with the players, recruits, or remaining staff.  Let Riley be the nice face of Neb football and keep trying to recruit til we can get the new face in. As you said we can still coach-search through back-channels, and officially speaking no current HC will talk to anyone before the season is over anyway. 

1 hour ago, Roll Skers said:

I remember Cowherd having some interesting comments about the hire back when it happened, but then again, he was also supporting Bo during the rant. 

You act like supporting the position that firing Bo was a bad thing- forget for a moment about your emotions relating to Bo,  I believe Cowherd had valid points and logic in his comments regarding the firing of Bo.

Firing a coach after a winning season is bad, firing a coach who never had a losing season is just plain dumb. those are basic facts that yes sometimes, but not often, need to be ignored, however we did it 2 times in recent history and both times it hasn't ended well for us.

I'd love to have a few back to back 9+ win seasons right about now.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

You act like supporting the position that firing Bo was a bad thing- forget for a moment about your emotions relating to Bo,  I believe Cowherd had valid points and logic in his comments regarding the firing of Bo.

Firing a coach after a winning season is bad, firing a coach who never had a losing season is just plain dumb. those are basic facts that yes sometimes, but not often, need to be ignored, however we did it 2 times in recent history and both times it hasn't ended well for us.

I'd love to have a few back to back 9+ win seasons right about now.

Unless you're firing him for reasons other than his results on the football field.

Bo Pelini was an asshat and not the type of guy you want as the face of your football program. If he could have handled himself better off the field, then he never would have been canned. But he's an egotistical maniac and a f&#39;ing clown. The only way people were going to ignore his behavior would be if he was winning championships, which he wasn't...

Edited by HuskerMav11
  • Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Redreign22 said:

I was ran off this board for lobbying for Frost to replace Riley his entire first year. I even emailed all the brass at UNL. Posted my reply from Perlman. Some members came at me pretty hard for it. I didnt post for a year. I just stalked anonymously. ; )

I was saying to hire Frost when Riley was hired. I just shook my head and knew this would end up a failure and it has been. 

• Plus1 1