Member what Oregon State fans told us when Riley was hired?

On 11/4/2017 at 10:38 PM, Redreign22 said:

I was ran off this board for lobbying for Frost to replace Riley his entire first year. I even emailed all the brass at UNL. Posted my reply from Perlman. Some members came at me pretty hard for it. I didnt post for a year. I just stalked anonymously. ; )

I think this was an easy one, dont pat yourself on the back too hard. Also, its pretty easy to predict doom and gloom.  

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

You said "We've had examples from eras dating back to the 70s showing that, if a program makes that jump, it's in a 3 year window, with the data showing a big jump specifically in year 2. Giving a new coach "more time" is in effect no different than giving the current coach "more time"."

I gave you examples that prove this isn't a bankable fact in all scenarios. You then proceed to essentially agree with me and say, "yeah, these don't work towards what I said because they're unique situations."

??

D'Antonio is not a good example of someone needing 4 years, because he came in and immediately improved Michigan State.  Sparty went 5-7, 5-6, and 4-8 the final 3 years under John L. Smith.  D'Antonio went 7-6 and 9-4 his first 2 seasons.  That's showing immediate improvement.  Yes, he went 6-7 in his 3rd year, so that was a step back, but he then followed with 2 straight 11 win seasons.  D'Antonio showed he was a good coach in his first 2 seasons by improving Sparty, so they were willing to give him a 4th year because his 3rd year was an outlier.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

D'Antonio is not a good example of someone needing 4 years, because he came in and immediately improved Michigan State.  Sparty went 5-7, 5-6, and 4-8 the final 3 years under John L. Smith.  D'Antonio went 7-6 and 9-4 his first 2 seasons.  That's showing immediate improvement.  Yes, he went 6-7 in his 3rd year, so that was a step back, but he then followed with 2 straight 11 win seasons.  D'Antonio showed he was a good coach in his first 2 seasons by improving Sparty, so they were willing to give him a 4th year because his 3rd year was an outlier.

Correct, and MR is a sorry old coach, and was a sorry young coach, and a sorry middle aged coach. Why would we expect him to magically be great next year?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Correct, and MR is a sorry old coach, and was a sorry young coach, and a sorry middle aged coach. Why would we expect him to magically be great next year?

I don't know why Eichorst and fans expected Riley to become a much better coach at age 62, compared to the rest of his career, and he had been trending down his last 4-5 years at Oregon State.

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I gave you examples that prove this isn't a bankable fact in all scenarios. You then proceed to essentially agree with me and say, "yeah, these don't work towards what I said because they're unique situations

I was referring to old conversations that were phrased around a Nebraska type scenario. Sorry for not being more clear. I hope this long post clarified that better.

Just now, skers83 said:

You may be right about Frost but Riley wasn't ready either.  

I agree that Riley was not the right fit culturally.  I would never argue that point.  But like most Husker Fans, I thought I would give him a chance.  We dont want to be that school that hires and fires after a season and a half.  The road back to greatness is long.  We may even be jumping the gun on Frost now.  Remember, we dont just get Frost, we get his young staff too. Not all of them have experience in a Power 5 Conference. With that said, I think the culture of a coach is far more important than scheme.  We missed culture on the last few hires.  I think Moos gets it.  

11 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

Frost was not ready to be a head coach at UNL.  UCF was a good level for him.  

I would rather be 3 years into Frosts rebuild at this point even with no experience as would you I imagine.

I can not to this day wrap my head around the thought process that brought Riley here. 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, boach_clack said:

I agree that Riley was not the right fit culturally.  I would never argue that point.  But like most Husker Fans, I thought I would give him a chance.  We dont want to be that school that hires and fires after a season and a half.  The road back to greatness is long.  We may even be jumping the gun on Frost now.  Remember, we dont just get Frost, we get his young staff too. Not all of them have experience in a Power 5 Conference. With that said, I think the culture of a coach is far more important than scheme.  We missed culture on the last few hires.  I think Moos gets it.  

Yea I was more than willing to give him a chance too. Agree we missed culture on the last few hires.

3 minutes ago, Redreign22 said:

I would rather be 3 years into Frosts rebuild at this point even with no experience as would you I imagine.

I can not to this day wrap my head around the thought process that brought Riley here. 

I still don't understand how a single person can hire the person making the highest salary of any government employee in Nebraska. Didn't someone other than SE have to approve MR? Did HP do this on purpose? There should be an investigation. someone must have received under the table cash from some Nebraska football haters. There is no explanation for hiring MR.

5 minutes ago, Redreign22 said:

I think we would all rather be anywhere but here.

I agree with you that Riley makes no sense, but rather has a prepared Frost than one that is beat up and run out of town.  

With that said, I think they get him here. Then what will you complain about?  LOL 

Just now, MichiganDad3 said:

I still don't understand how a single person can hire the person making the highest salary of any government employee in Nebraska. Didn't someone other than SE have to approve MR? Did HP do this on purpose? There should be an investigation. someone must have received under the table cash from some Nebraska football haters. There is no explanation for hiring MR.

Perlman gave Eichorst carte blanche to hire whomever he wanted.  There were rumors about Biliema and others, but Eichorst said he was targeting Riley the entire time.  Basically, Eichorst (and many fans on this board) thought a monkey could win 8-9 games at Nebraska.  When he went with Riley, he was going for the exact opposite of Bo, in terms of demeanor.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Perlman gave Eichorst carte blanche to hire whomever he wanted.  There were rumors about Biliema and others, but Eichorst said he was targeting Riley the entire time.  Basically, Eichorst (and many fans on this board) thought a monkey could win 8-9 games at Nebraska.  When he went with Riley, he was going for the exact opposite of Bo, in terms of demeanor.

And MR is very close to giving us the exact opposite record. We may only win 4 games this year; Bo always lost 4.

• Plus1 1