Waking up the beast.

I was at the Miami Nebraska game in 2015. The Miami fans were talking all game long about how much they disliked Al Golden. There was an airplane flying over the stadium flying a fire Al Golden banner. It was a very heartbreaking OT loss to Miami. But what stood out to me was how Miami was beating us real bad all game long but the Canes faltered and let us back in the game. All the Miami fans attributed the comeback to Golden;s incompetent coaching.

Watching Miami tonight, and this year, that program has been resurrected. The Canes hired a proven winner, and an alum. If they can do it so can Nebraska.

Never forget, we are Nebraska! no one can take away who we are and where we have been. And believe it or not no one can stop where we are going. I believe that our Resurrection is coming. Frost loves Nebraska football just as much as you or I. Have faith, keep your heads up. This train wreck is about to be a distant memory. 

• Plus1 3

I would like to share in your hope, but until I see Scott Frost standing in front of the podium with that big Red N on it with TO beside him, I am remaining somewhat skeptical.   Don't get me wrong, he is the one.  Don't get me wrong, that would be the best move this program has made in 14 years in my opinion.  

Now in waking the beast............if we get Frost here, its going to take a few years to establish his program and its traits.  Finding that B1G roots for this program.  We have never established our roots to deep in this conference yet.  Its time to do so.  Lets get in the living rooms of Michigan and Ohio St recruits and change some minds, and compete with them.  Lets get into Texas living rooms and get recruits from OU and Texas.  Establish those roots again.

Scott Frost might not be theguy.  Did anyond think of that?  First he up and left the state for Stanford where he would have stayed if it had worked out for him.  

Why would he come back this time if things are peachy elsewhere?  You all sound like a lost bunch of sheep to me, calling out for the only obvious answer to you.  

But I got news:  The obvious answer isn't always the right one.  

Here our program sits, in a tough giant of a conference, with huge fan expectations, plenty of ghosts, and a multitude real world difficulties.  It is going to take a certain type of guy and staff to be able to work with this and bring success.  

In this modern day of brain science, and pop culture, football itself is becoming a dinosaur.  It is starting to feel that way.  I don't know if NU will get its swag back before this whole sport goes the way of the dodo bird.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, dvdcrr said:

Scott Frost might not be theguy.  Did anyond think of that?  First he up and left the state for Stanford where he would have stayed if it had worked out for him.  

Why would he come back this time if things are peachy elsewhere?  You all sound like a lost bunch of sheep to me, calling out for the only obvious answer to you.  

Here our program sits, in a tough giant of a conference, with huge fan expectations, plenty of ghosts, and a multitude real world difficulties.  It is going to take a certain type of guy and staff to be able to work with this and bring success.  

In this modern day of brain science, and pop culture, football itself is becoming a dinosaur.  It is starting to feel that way.  I don't know if NU will get its swag back before this whole sport goes the way of the dodo bird.

I think you have some valid points.  There are plenty of reasons to understand why Scott left for Stanford, and I get that, but the most obvious is that he really isn't Nebraska Red at all cost.  We want him to be, but he's been heavily influenced by his dad who appears to me to throw down a hard line and stand on it.  Scott's his own man now, of course, and he's bred by coaches and I think he's probably a great coach, but I'm not sure he's as loyal as we want him, or think, he should.

11 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I think you have some valid points.  There are plenty of reasons to understand why Scott left for Stanford, and I get that, but the most obvious is that he really isn't Nebraska Red at all cost.  We want him to be, but he's been heavily influenced by his dad who appears to me to throw down a hard line and stand on it.  Scott's his own man now, of course, and he's bred by coaches and I think he's probably a great coach, but I'm not sure he's as loyal as we want him, or think, he should.

I agree with all of this, but money talks.... Especially with a talented redshirt freshman qb, loaded WR Core, and a lot of young talent elsewhere on the team.

11 hours ago, krc1995 said:

If you love something, let it go free.  If it doesn't come back, it wasn't yours to begin with. 

Let's face it, Scott Frost doesn't seem to be an unquestioning 'Nebraska first, last and always' kind of guy.  But I frankly appreciate him more because of that.  It means if he DOES come back that he is doing it for the right reasons.

• Plus1 4
12 hours ago, Roll Skers said:

Not to mention Richt, their HC is from Nebraska

I know that Richt was born in Nebraska and has family in Nebraska, but I wouldn't say he's "from" Nebraska.  He spent his formative years Boulder, Colorado and South Florida.  He went to the U of Miami.  He's more of a Miami guy than a Nebraska guy.

My son was born outside Chicago, we then moved to Dallas for a couple years, and then we have lived in Colorado since he has been 3 years old.  He's not going to say "I'm from Chicago" or "I'm from Dallas", he's going to say "I'm from the Denver area."

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, neepster said:

If you love something, let it go free.  If it doesn't come back, it wasn't yours to begin with. 

Let's face it, Scott Frost doesn't seem to be an unquestioning 'Nebraska first, last and always' kind of guy.  But I frankly appreciate him more because of that.  It means if he DOES come back that he is doing it for the right reasons.

I knew a lady in college that had a poster on her dorm wall "If you love something, let it go free.  If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it."  Scared me.

I agree with you, knowing his past, etc, if he does come back, it is for real.

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know that Richt was born in Nebraska and has family in Nebraska, but I wouldn't say he's "from" Nebraska.  He spent his formative years Boulder, Colorado and South Florida.  He went to the U of Miami.  He's more of a Miami guy than a Nebraska guy.

My son was born outside Chicago, we then moved to Dallas for a couple years, and then we have lived in Colorado since he has been 3 years old.  He's not going to say "I'm from Chicago" or "I'm from Dallas", he's going to say "I'm from the Denver area."

True. Same with Kiffin I guess. Just HAVE to stir the pot ;)

Interesting that the year the Huskers are likely making a major, program altering hire, two of the top (if not the top) candidates are someone with success rebuilding a program in the general geographic area (Campbell) and a homegrown, young, energetic upstart (Frost). Last year or next year, these options likely don't exist. 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Yeah maybe. But maybe he is "the guy". Id say he's our best shot so let's go for it.

I was curious to ask @dvdcrr what his prediction was for this year?   I had us at 7-5 as a "top ceiling".  I wanted Frost 3 years ago, so that kinda shows you my "lost sheep" status.  I don't take offense to your post ... I'm just being honest that I was comfy with Frosty back then.  Personally, I don't really know at this point if Nebraska or the fan base actually deserves Scott.  

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, timmytbro said:

I was at the Miami Nebraska game in 2015. The Miami fans were talking all game long about how much they disliked Al Golden. There was an airplane flying over the stadium flying a fire Al Golden banner. It was a very heartbreaking OT loss to Miami. But what stood out to me was how Miami was beating us real bad all game long but the Canes faltered and let us back in the game. All the Miami fans attributed the comeback to Golden;s incompetent coaching.

Watching Miami tonight, and this year, that program has been resurrected. The Canes hired a proven winner, and an alum. If they can do it so can Nebraska.

Never forget, we are Nebraska! no one can take away who we are and where we have been. And believe it or not no one can stop where we are going. I believe that our Resurrection is coming. Frost loves Nebraska football just as much as you or I. Have faith, keep your heads up. This train wreck is about to be a distant memory. 

"Never forget, we are Nebraska! no one can take away who we are and where we have been. And believe it or not no one can stop where we are going."

While I appreciate your enthusiasm, your sentiment is the problem with Nebraska football.   

We were Nebraska because we won;   we didn't win because we were Nebraska.    This stuff doesn't happen just because we continue to label ourselves as something we were 20 years ago.   There has to be a completely different mindset based on tradition but built into the new reality of present day NCAA football.   We have convinced ourselves in this state that we are entitled to win again just because we did in the past.    Forget recreating the 90's; that was then and this is now.    Get back to Big Ten bruiser style runnning, monster offensive lineman and defense and a smattering of solid passing and we are back in the conversation.   It will take an extremely special coach to do that.   If we want to be in the conversation look no further than the Wisconsin model which is basically the old Nebraska model with modern adaptions.

As to nobody can take away who we are and where we have been.   That has been accomplished already via Steve Petersen and Shawn Eichorst.  We are now into rebuilding and recovering what has already been lost.   We have dropped below the mediocrity point.  We have hit the skids and are heading toward rock bottom.  The earlier we recognize and accept this as a fan base and the earlier our large donors and administration recognize what has already occurred  the quicker we get back to becoming the New Nebraska with all of the old traditions but with a new mindset on how to get there.   Tunnel walks and Blackshirts are all great, but they don't build winners.  They have to be earned with a lot of blood, sweat, tears and a group of young men lead by a great coach that believe in each other and have each other's backs.  It has to be with a passion for the New Nebraska created by these young men based on "now"; not what is now a distant past.  When we build on today  measured by wins that is when we become "Nebraska" again.

Edited by centrust