Joel Klatt's Top 5 Coaching Candidates for all CFB

15 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

From Listening to 1620 and browsing the world wide web I feel these are the top realistic candidates

1. Scott Frost

2. Justin Fuentes

3. Chip Kelly

We can't hire a fired coach. We need to get someone that makes the B1G say crap Nebraska is back. 

I don't think Fuentes is leaving VT.... not for Nebraska anyway.

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

While lurking I saw many people who were willing to give him a chance because he had a reputation for doing more with less. That doesn't mean they had rose colored glasses on.

that reputation was wrong and didn't take much research to understand that it was, unless you make decisions based on emotional wants and needs as opposed to logic based decisions.

I guess  being lazy and believing what other people say without doing your own research and forming your opinion based on facts would be another reason to think this wouldn't be a dumpster fire (his reputation was put out there because he did a good job marketing himself as a nice guy, so of course people would spread the false narrative that he did more with less as a justification that he'd do well here, but look how silly that sounds now)

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, bisonwiches said:

No what happened is we are all die hard fans and supported our coach no matter what, even though the past was terrible, we as fans supported him. It’s just gone way too far now...

Except there were many who never supported him from the start. Riley DID do more with less at OSU. He is doing less with more now and there are no excuses for the results on the field, but there was a large portion of the fanbase who decided this would be his destiny here as soon as he was hired. Countless posts about we will have to fire him in 2 years and he's a bad coach. It turned out to be true, but I have to wonder if it would have been different if he would have been given the same enthusiasm Frost will get. 

4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Except there were many who never supported him from the start. Riley DID do more with less at OSU. He is doing less with more now and there are no excuses for the results on the field, but there was a large portion of the fanbase who decided this would be his destiny here as soon as he was hired. Countless posts about we will have to fire him in 2 years and he's a bad coach. It turned out to be true, but I have to wonder if it would have been different if he would have been given the same enthusiasm Frost will get. 

The same thing happened when Callahan was hired.  He was almost doomed from the start as well.  Callahan and Riley's biggest mistake was taking the job.  Frost is going to get the same benefit of the doubt that Bo got which is why Frost will more than likely also get the same amount of years as Bo did at a minimum.  I was one of the few that was actually excited when Riley was hired.  My biggest disappointment with him has been how he has allowed things to transpire.  At Oregon State, he did take play calling duties away from Langsdorf.  Here, he just continually lets him construct poor game plan after poor game plan.  Riley talks about how we need to run the ball better, but then he allows Langs to call running plays that almost makes it look like he's intentionally trying to show we can't run the ball.  In the end, I think Riley underestimated what it would take here.  I think he thought it would be easier to recruit here than it actually is and that his coordinators would actually do better with better talent.

• Plus1 3

You are only doomed from the start if you are a crappy hire and then proceed to be crappy at your coaching gig.

If BC came out in his first season and went 10-2...people would have been happy.

If Riley came out in his FIRST GAME and managed to beat a team that lost its best player during the game...it could have helped.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You are only doomed from the start if you are a crappy hire and then proceed to be crappy at your coaching gig.

If BC came out in his first season and went 10-2...people would have been happy.

If Riley came out in his FIRST GAME and managed to beat a team that lost its best player during the game...it could have helped.

Rileys faults are all his own, but he was not given any chance at all from a section of the fanbase. People calling for his head in year 1 means he wasn't welcomed to begin with. I agree with what @junior4949said in his post. Riley indeed hurt himself with the job he has done and realistically fan support doesn't mean anything. But sometimes it seems easier to succeed when the people who are supposed to support you aren't predicting your failure the day you are hired. Hopefully we land Frost we will have a much better fan atmosphere. 

13 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Sorry, but I'm not buying this. When at Oregon St they didn't have the facilities or resources we have and it was generally considered that he did more with less. That wasn't just here either.

This wasn't a justification for why he might have done well here but it was a ray of hope for many people. Of course, that didn't pan out. 

so some people use facts like, lots of coaches win at places with crappy resources, a coach that has never won anything consistently for 30 years isn't likely to win titles simply because he "gets" more resources, etc etc etc to determine probable outcome and some people use emotional reasoning for a chance at hoping for a positive outcome- I think we both know where we stand and I'm fine knowing I was right

14 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Someone's faith should never be a consideration when it comes to employment.

*Edit* He's already a college coach working Saturdays so why does his faith matter again?

I can express whatever opinion I wish about it honestly, I'm not hiring him, I'm just a fan....deal with it