Thoughts and Prayers!!!

On 5/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, Decoy73 said:

What exactly are you getting at?  Why should we need to do this?  Is the gun violence problem not obvious enough for congress to realize they need to do something?  How many more dead school children is it going to take for something to happen?  I guess you're asking a fair question, but I seriously doubt my GOP congressman is going to stand up against the NRA.  Especially when our own governor wants the NRA to re-locate to Nebraska (are you freaking kidding me, Pete?).  I reached out to Deb Fischer expressing my frustration after Sandy Hook when she voted against some sort of reasonable gun control measure and all I got was some sort of BS generic "thanks for caring" reply.  Congress has failed miserably on gun control ever since they let the Crime Bill expire during the GW Bush era.

Politics is downhill from culture. It gets there quicker when all of culture agrees, and is loud about it.

A couple grade A thinkers (Texas Lt. Gov Dan Patrick & Hugh Hewitt) show that there is no limit to how absurd conservative suggestions will become as long as they can avoid actually regulating firearms:

Oh, and Ollie North, newly minted NRA president, suggested Ritalin was to blame. You don't need to be in medicine to realize how profoundly idiotic that is.

• Plus1 1

I think the suggestion that annoys me the most is that we need to improve mental health. NOT because it's a bad idea.

But because there seem to be a lot of people on the right who are the ones who make fun of people who have mental health problems or say they're being made fun of or who are just plain different. They're the ones who always piss and moan about "PC culture" or like to tell people to suck it up, or calling men "cucks" if they show any kind of vulnerability or sensitivity or anything they happen to deem unmasculine. The two things, caring about mental health and making fun of anyone who complains they're being negatively affected by others being cruel, don't go hand in hand.

Short version: they don't actually care about improving mental health for people. They just want to distract people from taking away all their guns.

• Plus1 4

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Short version: they don't actually care about improving mental health for people. They just want to distract people from taking away all their guns.

Well, evidence of all this is the fact that they always point to mental illness, but have constantly fought against measures that would prevent people with mental illnesses from getting a gun.  Trump even got rid of regulations that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to get guns.

In other words, it highlights the bolded part above.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, evidence of all this is the fact that they always point to mental illness, but have constantly fought against measures that would prevent people with mental illnesses from getting a gun.  Trump even got rid of regulations that made it harder for people with mental illnesses to get guns.

In other words, it highlights the bolded part above.

They also fight tooth and nail against spending increases that could actually facilitate the types of mental health improvements they claim we need to make.

I don't know how much gun control is realistic to expect in the U.S., but I feel very comfortable saying Republicans are operating in deeply bad faith on this issue.

• Plus1 4

• 3 months later...