Thoughts and Prayers!!!

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I see we're at the "red flag laws won't stop all incidents therefore they are bad" phase.

We don't need red flag laws, obvs. We just need more thoughts & prayers!

Literally not what I said, but I was wondering when you'd chime in with that generalization. 

My issue with the red flag stigma is that they are open to interpretation.  Any judge can use any "reason" to punish anybody, justified or not.  The law shouldn't be so easy to manipulate for those in a position of power.  Laws are meant to serve and protect citizens, not punish them unnecessarily.  Abuse of power is a real thing, I've seen it discussed about a specific high ranking political figure to no end on this very board.

But of course that is worst case scenario.   I'm in favor of red flag laws IF they can get the wording down to the point where it actually prevents a scenario like this.  I have yet to see an example of that that doesn't require premonition though.  What's more ludicrous, asking judges to be psychic or sending thoughts and prayers on social media?

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Redux said:

Literally not what I said, but I was wondering when you'd chime in with that generalization. 

My issue with the red flag stigma is that they are open to interpretation.  Any judge can use any "reason" to punish anybody, justified or not.  The law shouldn't be so easy to manipulate for those in a position of power.  Laws are meant to serve and protect citizens, not punish them unnecessarily.  Abuse of power is a real thing, I've seen it discussed about a specific high ranking political figure to no end on this very board.

But of course that is worst case scenario.   I'm in favor of red flag laws IF they can get the wording down to the point where it actually prevents a scenario like this.  I have yet to see an example of that that doesn't require premonition though.  What's more ludicrous, asking judges to be psychic or sending thoughts and prayers on social media?

I have no clue if red flag laws would have prevented this case.

However, right now in Nebraska, if I notice a friend of mine starting to have some major issues and I get very concerned about his well being and the knowledge that he owns guns.  Let's say I've seen a couple situations where he has become more violent than normal for him.  He maybe expressed to me anger at certain people.

What do I do?  What laws in Nebraska help me if I report this to the police?  What can they do to prevent a similar situation?

Just FYI so everyone knows.  If would would fail in this example, I would still give my T&P.

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just FYI so everyone knows.  If would would fail in this example, I would still give my T&P.

Tots and pears?

gRssjsv.jpg

As for the actual topic, it's pretty sad that we have white supremacist gun nuts trying to kill this bill because of the 1% chance that someone may unfairly have the temporary inconvenience of having their guns confiscated...

...over the 99% of the time where the law works and saves lives because it takes guns away from someone that's mentally unstable and needs help. 

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Take away the guns and watch the crime drop. These are facts 

Facts don't work on man children and white supremacists that have to strap up and march into a legislative session to threaten lawmakers. If they did, they would stop believing the Second Amendment gives them permission to own a firearm.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

This isn't realistic.  This won't be realistic.  Suggesting it is extreme narrative.  I never understand this.

Yup, if guns ceased to exist mass shootings would decrease.  And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's a$$ when it hops.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Redux said:

This isn't realistic.  This won't be realistic.  Suggesting it is extreme narrative.  I never understand this.

Yup, if guns ceased to exist mass shootings would decrease.  And if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump it's a$$ when it hops.

Okay, so just ignore that this is the case in first world countries that have done this very thing...

giphy.gif

• Plus1 1

Some people: "We need to focus on mental health and not take guns away from responsible gun owners!!!!"

Govt: "Okay.  We will implement red flag laws to allow people to report 'mental problems' to "try" and ensure people with mental health problems don't have firearms..."

Some people: :madash

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you’re talking a broad confiscation from everyone, that ship has sailed my friend. Guns aren’t going anywhere. But, at least we can be smart about them. 

12 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Okay, so just ignore that this is the case in first world countries that have done this very thing...

That's completely eradicating the 2nd amendment and taking guns from not just criminals and those with ill intent, that's completely disarming everyone.  No, I will not support that.  It's not realistic to compare America, an entirely unique country with multiple different cultures amongst 50 different states, to other countries.  It's not realistic to disarm citizens.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Some people: "We need to focus on mental health and not take guns away from responsible gun owners!!!!"

Govt: "Okay.  We will implement red flag laws to allow people to report 'mental problems' to "try" and ensure people with mental health problems don't have firearms..."

Some people: :madash

Look if that's what you want to take away from it so be it.  Pass everything without actually talking about the pros and cons because you only care about the pros.  That's not how discussion works, I thought you were a stickler about that sort of thing?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Redux said:

The thing people seem to gloss over is that disarming citizens is easy.  Disarming criminals and non registered weapons isn't.

Agree. Your point is also why I absolutely don’t get “gun free “ zones (With a few exceptions) when it comes to concealed carry. I’m pretty sure the criminals aren’t going to abide by them. 

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

Look if that's what you want to take away from it so be it.  Pass everything without actually talking about the pros and cons because you only care about the pros.  That's not how discussion works, I thought you were a stickler about that sort of thing?

This wasn't directed at just you.

But you've been asked, and I haven't seen a response: why is the Nebraska red flag law (or other states) that was introduced a few days ago "worded poorly"?