Thoughts and Prayers!!!

27 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This was no more the fault of other gun owners, then it was the fault of other muslims. Or do you have a meme for them too?

Not true if said gun owners support the NRA or vote Republican.  They’ll never admit it, but they are very much part of the problem.  

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, funhusker said:

And you have to carry insurance...

And you have to keep your license and registration current...

And you can serve jail time for DUI, driving on suspended license, no insurance, etc...

And in many states it has to be inspected annually...

I guess the follow up question would be how could we apply this to gun ownership? Pass some sort of exam to ensure you're sane of mind? Do it annually? Have the gun registered to the state? I think we do need stricter laws to obtain these weapons. Obviously what we are doing now isn't working.

So many proposed options have problems that make them not a perfect fix.  This one included:

Somehow, I keep getting back to the idea that the person who is the last known owner of a gun that is used in a crime, should have to face some type of consequence.  So, if I own a gun and either someone takes it or I give it to them and it's used in a crime, I can be punished.  Now, if it's stollen, I report it stolen and it's proven it was being kept what most people would consider safe, then I'm cleared of any of those consequences.  

So, if I am a gun manufacturer and I sell a gun and don't register who I sold it to and that person is a trafficker taking it into Chicago and it ends up on the streets committing a murder.....they should be heavily fined.  Same with anyone in the chain of ownership.

Maybe this system is only for certain types of guns like hand guns or assault rifles.

15 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I guess the follow up question would be how could we apply this to gun ownership? Pass some sort of exam to ensure you're sane of mind? Do it annually? Have the gun registered to the state? I think we do need stricter laws to obtain these weapons. Obviously what we are doing now isn't working.

I think insurance would be a start.  Have cheap plans for your "run of the mill" hunting guns.  Maybe even much cheaper rate for single shot weapons.  But just like cars, when you go "exotic", it's gonna cost ya.  If a gunowner insists on owning AR style weapons or high capacity magazine they should expect to pay a higher premium.  I'm not an actuary, so I won't throw out any numbers.

I don't see a problem with updating registrations annually.  This actually happened to me.  I purchased a shotgun from a friend and he made me sign a "bill of sale".  Not because the law required it, but he just wanted the record.  A few years later, I sold it to an employee of a customer.  Thinking back to when I bought it, I figured it would be a good idea to write up a sale bill for the transaction.  This sale was 7 years ago.  Last summer I got a call from a detective in Lincoln that a gun was found with other stolen items.  The police traced it to the guy I bought it from.  He gave them my name.  I was able to give them the name of the guy I sold it to.  Not sure what happened after that, but it was a whole lot of "not my problem" at that point.  

If people can't keep registrations current or are caught with an unlicensed gun, I'm okay with jail time.  Maybe this could be flexible as to what type of gun they were caught with.  A single shot .410 might be a ticket while an unlicensed high capacity, high caliber weapon carries a heavier penalty.

just some thoughts...

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

“He was kind of scary to be around,” said Dayton Marvel, a teammate on the wrestling team. Alissa once had an outburst and threatened to kill people during an intra-team match, Marvel said.

“His senior year, during the wrestle-offs to see who makes varsity, he actually lost his match and quit the team and yelled out in the wrestling room that he was, like, going to kill everybody,” Marvel said. “Nobody believed him. We were just all kind of freaked out by it, but nobody did anything about it.”

Hernandez said Alissa frequently appeared to be paranoid about perceived slights against him, and Marvel said Alissa was often concerned about being targeted because of his Muslim faith.

“He would talk about him being Muslim and how if anybody tried anything, he would file a hate crime and say they were making it up,” Marvel said. “It was a crazy deal. I just know he was a pretty cool kid until something made him mad, and then whatever made him mad, he went over the edge — way too far.”

Despite his short temper, Hernandez said Alissa could also be friendly and “joyful.”

“The sad thing about it is that if you really were to get to know him, he was a good guy,” Hernandez said. “Whenever you went up to him, he was always so joyful and so nice. But you could tell there was a dark side in him. If he did get ticked off about something, within a split second, it was like if something takes over, like a demon. He’d just unleash all his anger.”

On a Facebook page that appeared to belong to Alissa and has since been removed, the user posted in 2019 that he believed his former high school was hacking his cell phone. In a comment to someone who asked why the school would do that, he blamed racism.

“I believe part racism for sure,” he replied. “I believe someone spread rumors about me which are false and maybe that set it off.”

In other posts, the user expressed anti-LGBTQ sentiments and warned about perils he perceived from too much government control.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

I believe in Japan, every gun owner needs to do an annual psychological evaluation. I would not oppose this at all. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

This was no more the fault of other gun owners, then it was the fault of other muslims. Or do you have a meme for them too?

It's the fault of our stupid back-a$$-wards gun culture that produces negative externalities like mass shootings because of easy access to guns by unstable people. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...