Thoughts and Prayers!!!

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I"m wondering what the family thinks the school should have done.

I know a couple.

1.  Not let him go back to class after multiple sessions (one with parents present) discussing his inappropriate journals showing guns, bleeding people and etc.

2.  Searched his backpack. 

3.  Report the online posts (I think they were made aware of them by other students) to the authorities

10 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I know a couple.

1.  Not let him go back to class after multiple sessions (one with parents present) discussing his inappropriate journals showing guns, bleeding people and etc.

2.  Searched his backpack. 

3.  Report the online posts (I think they were made aware of them by other students) to the authorities

OK...does any of that really do anything?  I'm talking with laws the way they are right now.  If there were Red Flag laws...great.

But, let's say all that happens and the parents still have the same attitude.  The kid still has access to the gun and can simply walk in and blow people away.

43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...does any of that really do anything?  I'm talking with laws the way they are right now.  If there were Red Flag laws...great.

But, let's say all that happens and the parents still have the same attitude.  The kid still has access to the gun and can simply walk in and blow people away.

Sadly I think you're right - probably only delays the inevitable in this case.  He should have been sent for a psych eval and held there based simply on what was seen at school.  We have to be able to lean on laws like child welfare and removal from the home when parents don't raise and discipline their kids.  I have to hope this was an odd situation with the parents almost grooming him for this.  Seems like most of the parents of these shooters are horrified and apologetic and then you have those who kill the parents (Adam Lanza) because they know they would have stopped them.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If they’d at least checked his backpack, they would have likely found the gun.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

not sure if this should be in this thread or the angry violent right.

the guy might still be alive if he had been banned from carrying a gun again after his previous road rage incident...or alternate headline might be...a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/485132-john-kuczwanski-killed-in-road-rage-incident/?fbclid=IwAR0mmiAP9OTyGGtWxTAcTA5t-mImFYFH3ehDp4-VS5xojtTTkVOM7s8iZ60

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, commando said:

not sure if this should be in this thread or the angry violent right.

the guy might still be alive if he had been banned from carrying a gun again after his previous road rage incident...or alternate headline might be...a good guy with a gun stops a bad guy with a gun.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives/485132-john-kuczwanski-killed-in-road-rage-incident/?fbclid=IwAR0mmiAP9OTyGGtWxTAcTA5t-mImFYFH3ehDp4-VS5xojtTTkVOM7s8iZ60

I imagine that dude fancied himself as the "Good Guy With A Gun" in those situations. 

Truth is, he's exactly the kind of person who should not be allowed a firearm. 

• Plus1 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well guys - good news, I went looking for trials or data at shootings and seasonality (thinking that holiday stress likely equated to higher numbers) and I was wrong!  High mass shooting season is the summer, so whew!  We're in for a breather.  

Take a read at this very short article, I found it interesting and an easy read, though there were jaw dropping comments that cemented my thoughts around the US problem.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4985111/

4 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Sometimes I really wish the founding fathers wouldn't have explicitly allowed for the ownership of AR-15s. But ya know, big Gubmint might come for us so it's for the best. 

Sending mad t&p to Virginia, at least until next week. 

The gunman used a handgun according to reports.  Haven’t seen yet if it was obtained legally or not. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, commando said:

that makes it all better.  thanks for your input.

I didn’t say it would make it all better or any better.  

Poster made a comment about AR15’s in regards to this shooting.  Banning AR’s would have done zilch in this case so not sure why that comment was made.  

You are always welcome for the input. 

• Plus1 1