Thoughts and Prayers!!!

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I didn’t say it would make it all better or any better.  

Poster made a comment about AR15’s in regards to this shooting.  Banning AR’s would have done zilch in this case so not sure why that comment was made.  

You are always welcome for the input. 

I thought it was obvious that my comment was in jest.

The real point is that if you had a time machine and showed a founding father a handgun, AR-15, or any similar weapon they'd lose their absolute mind. No serious person should advocate for ordinary citizens to own these weapons.

Acting like this is what the framers of our Democracy desired is what makes the Republican Party a complete and total joke. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I thought it was obvious that my comment was in jest.

The real point is that if you had a time machine and showed a founding father a handgun, AR-15, or any similar weapon they'd lose their absolute mind. No serious person sold advocate for ordinary citizens to own these weapons.

Acting like this is what the framers of our Democracy desired is what makes the Republican Party a complete and total joke. 

imagine a mass shooter with a musket and about 30 seconds between shots.   

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The real point is that if you had a time machine and showed a founding father a handgun, AR-15, or any similar weapon they'd lose their absolute mind.

I fundamentally disagree on the handgun, possibly on the AR15 but I’m sure it would be well debated and they certainly wouldn’t lose their minds

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I like to the think the founding fathers would've expected modern day politicians to debate and make adjustments to the Constitution as needed, the 2nd Amendment being no exception. They had the foresight to effectively acknowledge that problems in the future might require solutions that resulted in changes, provided there was enough desire to do so.

It is unlikely any of them foresaw the challenges of modern day gun technology and modern day violence. Imagine any of us trying to set policies about modern day weapons that would be relevant 300 years from now. Probably not going to be very effective. That's why I've been a proponent of significant gun reform for some time. I just genuinely don't believe it's going to happen so long as the NRA and gun lobbyists wield their current financial and cultural power.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I fundamentally disagree on the handgun, possibly on the AR15 but I’m sure it would be well debated and they certainly wouldn’t lose their minds

Not at all true.

42 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I like to the think the founding fathers would've expected modern day politicians to debate and make adjustments to the Constitution as needed, the 2nd Amendment being no exception. They had the foresight to effectively acknowledge that problems in the future might require solutions that resulted in changes, provided there was enough desire to do so.

It is unlikely any of them foresaw the challenges of modern day gun technology and modern day violence. Imagine any of us trying to set policies about modern day weapons that would be relevant 300 years from now. Probably not going to be very effective. That's why I've been a proponent of significant gun reform for some time. I just genuinely don't believe it's going to happen so long as the NRA and gun lobbyists wield their current financial and cultural power.

Frankly, they had the foresight to include the words "well regulated" and "militia", neither of which involve every day citizens buying AR-15s, handguns, or anything of the like. There isn't anything "well regulated" or anything related to a "militia" about what happened in Colorado, Virginia, or Texas or any other mass shooting. It's a f#&%ing joke. 

What the founding fathers imagined was the United States being an agrarian society without a standing army. And, when necessary, said militia would defend the country. Which is why the United States maintained a small military until the end of WWII, of which President Eisenhower warned the country about maintaining. 

Let's stop acting like the 2nd Amendment was meant for anything other than for that. It's why gun ownership wasn't even a thing until the Right cultivated gun ownership with Conservative Identity. 

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Let's stop acting like the 2nd Amendment was meant for anything other than for that. It's why gun ownership wasn't even a thing until the Right cultivated gun ownership with Conservative Identity. 

This quote, from former Republican Chief Justice Warren Burger, has always stood out to me.

"In retirement in 1991, Burger said that the Second Amendment “has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”

“The very language of the Second Amendment,” wrote Burger, “refutes any argument that it was intended to guarantee every citizen an unfettered right to any kind of weapon he or she desires. … The Framers clearly intended to secure the right to bear arms essentially for military purposes.”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • TBH 1
37 minutes ago, Enhance said:

This quote, from former Republican Chief Justice Warren Burger, has always stood out to me.

"In retirement in 1991, Burger said that the Second Amendment “has been the subject of one of the greatest pieces of fraud, I repeat the word fraud, on the American public by special interest groups that I have ever seen in my lifetime.”

“The very language of the Second Amendment,” wrote Burger, “refutes any argument that it was intended to guarantee every citizen an unfettered right to any kind of weapon he or she desires. … The Framers clearly intended to secure the right to bear arms essentially for military purposes.”

Exactly.

How modern Conservatives delude themselves into thinking a "well regulated militia" involves anybody arming themselves with weapons that wouldn't even enter the imaginations of the writers of our Constitution is such a catastrophic joke all you can do is laugh.

Let's send some pre-T&P to the next place stricken by a well regulated militiamen. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
  • 4 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 6:44 PM, Archy1221 said:

Thoughts and prayers go out to those in harms way from the storms today.  Lots of families in danger from natures wrath. 

I was up until 2am watching the last round. Like you Archy, I pray it's dud this go and if it's not I hope people don't foolishly ignore the local warnings. Way too many people died last go around. God Speed to everyone in affected areas.

@Mods - Please give @Archy1221 the post of the day award. There won't be a better post made!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

he posted that last night when the university of oklahoma issued an alert about a mass shooter.  turns out it was a swatting call that triggered  the alert.  but at the time no one knew that it wasn't real.   the city reacted like it was real.  

• Oh Yeah! 1