Thoughts and Prayers!!!

from the AP story

Mass shootings are relatively rare in Canada. The country overhauled its gun-control laws after gunman Marc Lepine killed 14 women and himself at Montreal’s Ecole Polytechnique college in 1989. Before this weekend’s rampage, that had been the country’s worst.

It is now illegal to possess an unregistered handgun or any kind of rapid-fire weapon in Canada. The country also requires training, a personal risk assessment, two references, spousal notification and criminal record checks to purchase a weapon.

• 3 months later...

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Dang. This is unexpected.

Whoa......things are about to get interesting.

This was not anything like what I expected them to announce.

Just looked it up.  The NRA was founded in NY.  So, I'm assuming it's a legal NY entity.  That's how the NY AG can do this.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Whoa......things are about to get interesting.

This was not anything like what I expected them to announce.

Just looked it up.  The NRA was founded in NY.  So, I'm assuming it's a legal NY entity.  That's how the NY AG can do this.

Well they are a big supporter of Trump - he will somehow tie it into being a witch hunt against him.   I guess we need to wait for the SDNY to bring out big news about Trump.   I had expected this was going to be about Trump. So, like @knapplc said - totally unexpected. 

Does anybody need reminding that the NRA acted as an intermediary pawn connecting Russians with Republicans in 2016?

Or that they've, as of late, acted basically as a slush fund for their top brass, rather than an actual gun safety organization?

The NRA-ILA views any gun control legislation as excessive and acts to oppose it. The NRA itself exists to elect Republicans and, more recently, grift.

It was too corrupt for Ollie North, FFS. Burn it to the ground.

• Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Does anybody need reminding that the NRA acted as an intermediary pawn connecting Russians with Republicans in 2016?

Or that they've, as of late, acted basically as a slush fund for their top brass, rather than an actual gun safety organization?

The NRA-ILA views any gun control legislation as excessive and acts to oppose it. The NRA itself exists to elect Republicans and, more recently, grift.

It was too corrupt for Ollie North, FFS. Burn it to the ground.

If you don't want law enforcement sniffing around filing lawsuits against your organization, don't break the law. This isnt political and it shouldn't be made that way. NRA is a shady enterprise involved in criminal activity. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If you don't want law enforcement sniffing around filing lawsuits against your organization, don't break the law. This isnt political and it shouldn't be made that way. NRA is a shady enterprise involved in criminal activity. 

Eh, when we could potentially have democracy dissolving before our eyes, I think it's important to consider the timing of this stuff. Kinda like maybe Comey shouldn't have made his comment about opening the Clinton investigation while for some reason not mentioning the Trump investigation. He may have significantly, negatively altered our country's trajectory because he didn't consider politics.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Eh, when we could potentially have democracy dissolving before our eyes, I think it's important to consider the timing of this stuff. Kinda like maybe Comey shouldn't have made his comment about opening the Clinton investigation while for some reason not mentioning the Trump investigation. He may have significantly, negatively altered our country's trajectory because he didn't consider politics.

Clinton didn't get a bounce from that decision.

I highly doubt Trump gets a bounce from this one. Republicans have been saying 'THEY'RE COMIN' FER YER GUNS" my entire adult life.

Hasn't happened yet. We haven't even had meaningful gun control legislation for a couple decades.

The problem for Trump is he continues trying to squeeze his base instead of appealing to new voters. Eventually the juice runs out.

• Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Announcing investigations into presidential candidates shortly before the election this is not. I don't think those scenarios are equitable at all personally. The NRA isn't running for office