A certain offensive lineman

Geeboo07

5 hours ago, husker98 said:

Our D line play has been the only redeeming force on our defense this year. but in the 3-4 you only got 3 of them up front. outnumbered as they are they still get a good push and fill the gaps they need too like they are supposed too in a 3-4 scheme. the linebackers making the tackles and the secondary covering their receivers has been another matter.

Of any current staff member Parrella has earned the right to remain on staff for the next coach. I hope he does, he is the only guy on staff who recruits and well and has his position group playing at a high level every week.

My only knock on the DL, aside from the statistics is simply watching the game.  I do not see them eating up blocks.  normally I see hat on hat and their free OL tee off on a LB or CB.....This team was no where suited to run a 3-4.....Just because we "run" the same thing as winning programs doesn't mean we "run" the same thing as winning programs.....

10 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

the 3 -4 is not suited for college ball............

This is not accurate. I'd rather have a 4-3, but if run right the 3-4 can be effective. Many teams either run it full time or part time and have shown very good success. Wisconsin, Alabama, Clemson, LSU....20/68 power teams run a 3-4

• Plus1 3
16 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

the 3 -4 is not suited for college ball............

"The" 3-4 is a messageboard myth.

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

This is not accurate. I'd rather have a 4-3, but if run right the 3-4 can be effective. Many teams either run it full time or part time and have shown very good success. Wisconsin, Alabama, Clemson, LSU....20/68 power teams run a 3-4

I don't know where you come up with that. You can argue the entire BIG 12 has a base dime defense, though they all call themselves something different. Iowa St alone could be put into several generic categories, depending on which week it was.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

"The" 3-4 is a messageboard myth.

I don't know where you come up with that. You can argue the entire BIG 12 has a base dime defense, though they all call themselves something different. Iowa St alone could be put into several generic categories, depending on which week it was.

What point are you referring to? Iowa St runs a 3-4 similar to us, but they play pass happy teams all the time in the B12 so it works better. 

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

What point are you referring to? Iowa St runs a 3-4 similar to us, but they play pass happy teams all the time in the B12 so it works better. 

See this article. This is before OU. It varies even more the further the season goes.

Gone are the days in which a team can be singular in its defensive scheme.

Since Iowa State football coach Matt Campbell arrived in Ames, the hope was always that he could make the Cyclones defense “multiple.”

If you spend any time talking to Campbell about defense, the word “multiple,” or some variation, will surely come up.

“You can’t just sit in one thing and expect to play good defense especially against somebody of the caliber of (Sooners’ quarterback) Baker Mayfield,” Campbell said. “I think what we showed is the ability during that bye week to add some multiplicity to what we want to do defensively.”

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20171003/football-iowa-state-focused-on-multiplicity-with-defense

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

:yeah

"Lacking consistency covering" pretty much describes our entire defensive backfield for the last three years.  At least Kieron actually makes some plays.

Exactly why he should play! Some of them “lack covering ability” in general

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

UCF runs a 3-4...

Wisconsin has ran 3-4 for years and are always a top 15 defense