A certain offensive lineman

Geeboo07

35 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I still don't know what you are talking about 

You claimed 20/68 run a 3-4. I want to know how you determined that. I posted just one example of a team that would be hard to classify in that manner, and verified why with an article stating why.

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

20/68 power teams run a 3-4

4 minutes ago, brophog said:

You claimed 20/68 run a 3-4. I want to know how you determined that. I posted just one example of a team that would be hard to classify in that manner, and verified why with an article stating why.

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/08/31/big-ten-spotlight-huskers-join-badgers-with-34-defense/

"Associated Press research found that 48 of the 68 power-five conference teams and FBS independents still use the four-man front as their primary alignment." I guess a few can run a 3-3-5 here and there, but almost all odd man fronts are 3-4. Doesn't mean you have to run that every play, but the primary part of your defense is based on that. 

32 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This 3-4 v 4-3 argument is a waste of time.

If we are going to talk about players performing, it pays to at least know a general idea of what they are supposed to be doing. In Nebraska's case, that is not some singular function. Diaco has run a lot of fronts, and with different gap responsibilities. The defensive line video posted yesterday gives a snippet on what the players think about this.

Just now, Mavric said:

That guys who are expected to put on a bunch of weight don't necessarily have flat abs?  

Nope, I don't see a problem.

cowboys-loss-begins-with-success-of-gian

BTW - #77 in the pic is Tyron Smith.  I was at a resort in Mexico a few years ago and he was there.  He is a monster of a man.  Until someone told me who he was, I couldn't believe that he was a OT looking at him.  Dude was cut.  And his significant other wasn't too bad looking either.

8 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/08/31/big-ten-spotlight-huskers-join-badgers-with-34-defense/

"Associated Press research found that 48 of the 68 power-five conference teams and FBS independents still use the four-man front as their primary alignment." 

Thanks for the link. Now I know where you got the number, but they don't tell us how they got the number. 

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not really germane to the topic but didn't need it's own thread.

We struggle to pick up a blitzer coming right through a gap where we have extra linemen.  Let along be looking around like this:

They would need to put some effort into blocking them but if they don't see them...  Great play by ND.

56 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not really germane to the topic but didn't need it's own thread.

We struggle to pick up a blitzer coming right through a gap where we have extra linemen.  Let along be looking around like this:

Good find!!!  That doesn't resemble what NU has going on.... Some of that is coaching - also great instincts by that young man.

5 hours ago, lo country said:

My only knock on the DL, aside from the statistics is simply watching the game.  I do not see them eating up blocks.  normally I see hat on hat and their free OL tee off on a LB or CB.....This team was no where suited to run a 3-4.....Just because we "run" the same thing as winning programs doesn't mean we "run" the same thing as winning programs.....

I agree completely I admire our lines high motor and effort but we aren't where we need to be to run this. It is year one after all of this scheme too so I guess we should have expected this result.

A small caveat however, in a 34 the line responsibilities are different and thus they record less statistics. Especially when compared to a 43. For comparison Bama has 29 sacks this year. Only 8 came from their starting 3, 6 of those sacks came from Raekwon Davis who is a stud. So most of your sack production is with your LBs in a 34. And ours just aren't there yet either to make that pressure we need, thus the bad statistics. This is compounded by our every play prevent defense secondary giving QBs fast easy throws. Our dismal defense this year can't be blamed on anyone unit or coach but rather they all share it. I just feel parrella and his unit shoulder a little less so due to their high effort.

Back on subject. I'm all for letting the younger guys take over. Jaimes and Decker impress me. Maybe there are other mid season revelations this staff can make on the o line?