NU/MN: Battle for Bowl Eligibility?

Red Five

Nebraska and Minnesota are both sitting on 4 wins and for each team this is their best chance for a 5th W.

Neb remaining schedule: @ Min, @ PSU, Iowa

Min remaining schedule: Neb, @ NW, Wisc

Both teams qualified with 5 wins 2 years ago due to their APR standings.  Can the winner of this week's game do that again?  Minnesota is currently 3rd in line of teams that haven't qualified for a bowl and still can do so.  Nebraska is currently 17th.

APR Standings

Air Force 4 wins

Duke 4

Minnesota 4

Vandy 4

Navy 5

Louisville 5

Maryland 4

Ga Tech 4

Mid Tenn 4

Utah 5

Indiana 3

Florida 3

Boston College 5

Cal 5

Texas 4

Buffalo 3

Nebraska 4

Edited by Red Five
  • Plus1 1

Fleck is basically pulling a Riley in year 1.

Minnesota averaged 8 wins/year under Kill/Claeys over their last 4 years, including winning 9 last year (2nd most wins since 1905 at Minnesota!).  Fleck will be lucky to hit 5 this year.  So he is calling it "Year 0" and basically saying the results don't matter until he gets "his guys" in there.

3 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Minnesota averaged 8 wins/year under Kill/Claeys over their last 4 years, including winning 9 last year (2nd most wins since 1905 at Minnesota!).  Fleck will be lucky to hit 5 this year.  So he is calling it "Year 0" and basically saying the results don't matter until he gets "his guys" in there.

That roster was (still is) in shambles when Fleck arrived. I don't know if he will turn them around at all, but this year was going to be rough from the jump.

Edited by Nebfanatic
5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

What a D-bag move.   I think Flecks a tool that will have it a come tumbling down on him soon.  

35 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Nebraska and Minnesota are both sitting on 4 wins and for each team this is their best chance for a 5th W.

Neb remaining schedule: @ Min, @ PSU, Iowa

Min remaining schedule: Neb, @ NW, Wisc

Both teams qualified with 5 wins 2 years ago due to their APR standings.  Can the winner of this week's game do that again? 

God I hope not. IMO, The last thing this team needs is to play another football game on national TV against an opponent that is.500 or better. I say call it a season at 4-8 or 5-7, go home and lick your wounds and begin to resolve to never let "this" happen again. Much brighter days lie ahead.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Hunter94 said:

i am so tired of the having my guys in here excuse...........it really does get old.

Harbaugh did fine with ‘Hokes Guys’

heck even Bo did well with ‘Bill’s Guys’

Hopefully our next coach does just fine with “Mike’s Guys”

Edited by Roll Skers
  • Plus1 3

You took the team don't make excuses and crap on the kids that have more time invested in the school than you.  You have a buyout to protect you now go coach the ones you have while looking for the ones that fit..

PS.. Those guys didn't choose you either!

Edited by Warrior
  • Plus1 2

Go Nebraska, and against Iowa too (make them 0-2 against NU; btw, let's call it even with that very painful Hail Mary game with Jordan Westerkamp a few years ago).  Speaking of Minnesota and Iowa, and this may be in another forum topic, but I just read that the Black Friday contest with Iowa will come to an end and be replaced by Minnesota.  Too bad, I liked that game (Iowa-Neb), that intensity, but Iowa must think Wisconsin is a more suitable rival, who knows.

Edited by rdg25
17 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

That roster was (still is) in shambles when Fleck arrived. I don't know if he will turn them around at all, but this year was going to be rough from the jump.

Really?  That roster last year won 9 games.  Do you know how many 9+ win seasons Minnesota has had in the last 100 years?  2!