Queen Elizabeth II

OK, I've typically always had a ....meh....attitude towards the British Royalty.  I always thought the entire concept stupid....but, if the British still want to foot the bill for them....it's their choice.

However, when I saw this, I thought....wow...if I were British, I would be one pissed off dude.  Here is an entire family living off taxes paid by every day hard working people in Britain so they can flaunt themselves all over the world and live in luxury......

And, they take measures to avoid paying taxes themselves.

Wow..that would piss me off.

• Plus1 1

This is from the Paradise Papers, which is kind of part two of the Panama Papers, if you remember those from not that long ago.

Someone is leaking financials on massive amounts of the world's wealthiest people. It's how we found out that Trump's Commerce Sec Wilbur Ross had extensive financial investments with Putin's family.

Very interesting stuff.

Just to be clear...this is the woman who thinks she should hid her income from taxes.

Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom, 86, has a personal net worth of $550 million. The queen’s wealth comes from property holdings including Balmoral Castle in the Scottish Highlands, stud farms, a fruit farm and marine land throughout the U.K.; extensive art and fine jewelry; and one of the world’s largest stamp collections built by her grandfather. Not included are those assets belonging to the Crown Estate, which she gets to enjoy as Queen, such as $10 billion worth of real estate, Buckingham Palace (estimated to be worth another $5 billion), the Royal Art collection, and unmarked swans on stretches of the Thames. The Crown has claimed ownership of these birds since the 12th century when swan meat was considered a delicacy; they are no longer eaten.

The Queen also receives an annual government stipend of $12.9 million. Because most of her wealth is tied to her position and not hers personally – in otherwords, she could never sell the royal assets. The queen’s Diamond Jubilee in 2012 marks her 60 years on the throne, with celebrations throughout her realms.

So, the working class in England is paying her $12.9 million and providing her with well over $15 billion in assets to enjoy (and nobody else).  

Oh....and then they have to pay for huge celebrations on her 60th birthday.

If I'm not mistaken,  UK makes way more money from the tourism created by the Monarchy than the Monarchy costs the taxpayer, if fact, pretty sure that's why they still exist.  Not defending the sheltering of assets to avoid taxes, just pointing out why the UK still promotes and supports them.

21 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

This is from the Paradise Papers, which is kind of part two of the Panama Papers, if you remember those from not that long ago.

Someone is leaking financials on massive amounts of the world's wealthiest people. It's how we found out that Trump's Commerce Sec Wilbur Ross had extensive financial investments with Putin's family.

Very interesting stuff.

:o What are the details about Ross?

They were the Kadashians before the Kadashians were the Kadashians.  Media magnets for doing....  what?   Paid socializers to represent a country.  Play dolls in a world size play house.

Ok a few of the royals have gone beyond the show window and have done good in the world - like Diana.  Charles speaks up on environmental issues.  But to me it seems like a lot of fuss over  a by gone era when kings and queens had real power and authority. 

27 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

:o What are the details about Ross?

Didn't disclose his holdings properly (becoming a pattern for this admin):'

The papers were leaked to a German newspaper and then shared with the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, in all, more than 380 journalists in 67 countries.

One of many investigations getting a lot of attention, the investments of commerce secretary Wilbur Ross. Ross kept a stake in a shipping company called Navigator Holdings after he became secretary. One of Navigator’s top clients is the Russian energy company Sibur, whose owners include Vladimir Putin’s son-in-law and Kremlin-linked oligarchs on the U.S. sanctions list.

----

Well, Wilbur Ross and his private equity firm, W.L. Ross & Co, was one of the biggest clients of this offshore firms, Appleby, with more than Cayman Islands companies.

We were able to trace a personal stake that Ross held through Cayman Islands companies in Navigator Holdings, the shipping company that has ties to this Kremlin-linked energy firm.

-------

There’s no indication that he broke the letter of the disclosure rules.

But what he did do was came to an ethics agreement where he mentioned nine companies that he was holding a stake in. In that ethics agreement, he mentioned the Cayman Islands companies that held Navigator, but not Navigator itself.

And that’s why some critics, such as Richard Blumenthal, the senator from Connecticut, essentially said that he was using offshore shell companies to obfuscate. He faced a lot of questions about his connections to Russia during his confirmation process, mostly because of the business he did with the Bank of Cyprus, which is another favorite destination for Russian oligarchs.

And yet Navigator and Sibur never came up. The senators tell us they never figured it out, based on his disclosures.