Football and Militarism

31 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I guess it doesn't really bother me.  The military needs to advertise also, just like car makers, booze makers, pizza makers and so on.  It's an easy and effective way to get word out about joining the military, especially when you have 10's of millions of people watching every weekend.  

The point is that they're not advertising in the same way as the companies you mention are, in that it isn't limited to just commercial breaks. Sure, booze makers advertise, but have you ever watched a game where the official ceremonies included "A Tribute to Our Nation's Breweries"?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, husker98 said:

Any way it's a recruiting tool. The army doesn't draft in peace time yet it needs fresh bodies in uniforms so thus the hefty advertising to attract recruits. If you don't like the advertising than boy is this the wrong sport for you.

Two questions:
1. Why are football games deemed appropriate venues for military recruitment?
2. I'm a little puzzled by your comment that one can't enjoy football if you don't like military advertising, unless you mean that because the military spends a lot of money on marketing for football games, etc., you can't get away from it? There isn't anything intrinsically militaristic to the game itself, other than what it being injected by the Department of Defense, is there? 

I have always greatly respected the military and definitely respect people who serve our country....thank you for your service.

I guess my feelings on it are that it's getting overboard and almost feels uncomfortable.  

I am all for showing appreciation for all members of the armed forces and make sure they know I thank them for their service.  But, it's like all sporting events (not just football) is now all of a sudden military appreciation day constantly.

It's almost like it's gone so far that it even takes away from the purpose of....showing appreciation.

It's like if every time I sat down for dinner with my wife, I felt like I needed to make her feel like it's our anniversary and heap love and devotion upon her so that she feels special.  Sometimes, dinner just needs to be.....dinner.

• Plus1 3

There's another way to look at it: sports were originally designed as a replacement for war. 

For whatever reason we are hardwired for aggression, motivated to take over someone else's territory, and always needing an enemy to vanquish. Football especially mimics warfare.The comparison can seem inappropriate or uncivilized, but it can also be a relatively safe outlet for our violent impulses and civic pride. Otherwise we would simply have used Offut AFB to wipe Madison, Wisconsin off the face of the Earth.

It works a lot better when we're not simultaneously waging real wars with real bloodshed, but that's the general idea.

5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's another way to look at it: sports were originally designed as a replacement for war. 

For whatever reason we are hardwired for aggression, motivated to take over someone else's territory, and always needing an enemy to vanquish. Football especially mimics warfare.The comparison can seem inappropriate or uncivilized, but it can also be a relatively safe outlet for our violent impulses and civic pride. Otherwise we would simply have used Offut AFB to wipe Madison, Wisconsin off the face of the Earth.

It works a lot better when we're not simultaneously waging real wars with real bloodshed, but that's the general idea.

None of that means the military should be paying to have self-serving tributes at sporting events.

Seems a bit odd that some are against the government/military "advertising" out country during game, but are fine with Pepsi, Valentinos and Runza humping their wares during games.  Yes, it is advertising for recruiting at some level.  So what?   Call it jingo-ism if you like, but I much prefer ads that support our country than ads geared at random products.  And I love Pepsi and Vals....can't stand Runzas though.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

Seems a bit odd that some are against the government/military "advertising" out country during game, but are fine with Pepsi, Valentinos and Runza humping their wares during games.  Yes, it is advertising for recruiting at some level.  So what?   Call it jingo-ism if you like, but I much prefer ads that support our country than ads geared at random products.  And I love Pepsi and Vals....can't stand Runzas though.  

If it were advertising just like Pepsi, Valentino's, etc. then there wouldn't be a problem. It's paying to militarize the National Anthem and the associated hoopla that's the issue.

I’m fine with any venue honoring the troops.

I don’t like sports team managers equating their ball playing guys to soldiers as if they’re the same thing.

Friday is Veterans Day and my wife gets it off... I asked her why we don’t stay at work and give all the veterans a paid holiday.

42 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

If it were advertising just like Pepsi, Valentino's, etc. then there wouldn't be a problem. It's paying to militarize the National Anthem and the associated hoopla that's the issue.

The national anthem was written about and for a war. It’s already militarized.

• Plus1 1