Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

Disclaimer is I'd be pretty thrilled with either coach.  In the current scenario, I'd rather have Kelly over Frost.  Now, if you told me that taking Kelly meant Nebraska could never get Frost, I'd probably lean towards Frost because I think Frost has multiple national championship upside.  I like Kelly because he's already been in the uber high pressure spots.  National championship games, the NFL (in Philly!  no less).  It's obvious his system works and works well.  You don't need 5* talent all over the place for his system to work.

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Disclaimer is I'd be pretty thrilled with either coach.  In the current scenario, I'd rather have Kelly over Frost.  Now, if you told me that taking Kelly meant Nebraska could never get Frost, I'd probably lean towards Frost because I think Frost has multiple national championship upside.  I like Kelly because he's already been in the uber high pressure spots.  National championship games, the NFL (in Philly!  no less).  It's obvious his system works and works well.  You don't need 5* talent all over the place for his system to work.

Chip would use and abuse us if he came here. He would show he can coach and after 2 years take his talents back to the pac-12 or maybe big-12 and leave us with recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions.

Coaching wise he is great and could make us relevant but I don't think he is a long term solution.. I know we're all chomping at the bit to win and win now but I'd be willing to pass on chip and see if Frost, Joe Moorhead, Venables or Campbell would be options first

• Plus1 3

Honestly, people leaving you because they are doing a great job and get better options is not a bad thing.

I had a boss once tell me "I like when people work for me, do great things and get hired at other places..."

Of course...he said that to me while I was leaving and he was laughing and rolling his eyes...

4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Chip would use and abuse us if he came here. He would show he can coach and after 2 years take his talents back to the pac-12 or maybe big-12 and leave us with recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions.

Coaching wise he is great and could make us relevant but I don't think he is a long term solution.. I know we're all chomping at the bit to win and win now but I'd be willing to pass on chip and see if Frost, Joe Moorhead, Venables or Campbell would be options first

Was he actually responsible for any of Oregon’s violations? I know he was coach, but wasn’t it people outside the program?

6 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Was he actually responsible for any of Oregon’s violations? I know he was coach, but wasn’t it people outside the program?

They were recruiting violations on his behalf. So while it wasn't him directly he was responsible for the money given out and the things bought that were provided to recruits. I'm pretty sure he was smart enough to not be directly tied to the violations (unlike Rick Pitino at Louisville). In all honesty his violations weren't super severe and only lost 1 scholarship per year for 3 years and he couldn't coach in college for 18 months. (I believe)

I just don't think he'd value the position at Nebraska. Who knows, he could love it here and bring us great success but I wouldn't have him as my top option.. as i mentioned, i'd have him at 5th or 6th on the list

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA