Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Chip would use and abuse us if he came here. He would show he can coach and after 2 years take his talents back to the pac-12 or maybe big-12 and leave us with recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions.

Coaching wise he is great and could make us relevant but I don't think he is a long term solution.. I know we're all chomping at the bit to win and win now but I'd be willing to pass on chip and see if Frost, Joe Moorhead, Venables or Campbell would be options first

Quite possibly.  Kelly actually didn't do anything wrong when he was @ Oregon.  He got hit with the show cause penalty because a staff member was providing kickbacks and Kelly failed to monitor him/her.  

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/what-exactly-did-chip-kelly-do-warrant-ncaa-sanctions-not-much

If Kelly boosted the program in 2 or 3 years and then left for greener pastures that means he did a heckuva job at Nebraska and left the program in pretty good shape.  Of course there is a small chance that Kelly completely fails at Nebraska and he bolts after 2-3 years.  It's highly unlikely in my opinion, but it's a possibility.

Let me ask you this.  Would you take a few years of Kelly if it meant that you got Frost later?  Which version of Nebraska is more attractive to Frost.  The current version?  Or Nebraska in 3ish years after Kelly has transformed the program?  The additional perk to this is Frost gets to work through any big boy coaching growing pains at Florida.  

It's like he got his HC coaching undergrad at UCF and he'll get his MBA at Florida and Nebraska will heap the rewards of the finished product.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

why?

Please read the entire thread...

But a quick rundown..

1) I think we have better long term options at the moment (Moorhead, Frost, Campbell, Venables, etc)

2) Chip would be here 2 years max and wouldn't value being here, only wants the money (envision Bill Callahan)

3) Shaky past with the NCAA - be it a minor thing and wasn't too harsh for the school but if he does it again I bet the penalties would increase exponentially

Sure, I'd want Chip over Riley.. I'd want drunk ole Steve Sarkesian and only the drunk version of Sark over Riley at this point but there are better long term options

5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Quite possibly.  Kelly actually didn't do anything wrong when he was @ Oregon.  He got hit with the show cause penalty because a staff member was providing kickbacks and Kelly failed to monitor him/her.  

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/what-exactly-did-chip-kelly-do-warrant-ncaa-sanctions-not-much

If Kelly boosted the program in 2 or 3 years and then left for greener pastures that means he did a heckuva job at Nebraska and left the program in pretty good shape.  Of course there is a small chance that Kelly completely fails at Nebraska and he bolts after 2-3 years.  It's highly unlikely in my opinion, but it's a possibility.

Let me ask you this.  Would you take a few years of Kelly if it meant that you got Frost later?  Which version of Nebraska is more attractive to Frost.  The current version?  Or Nebraska in 3ish years after Kelly has transformed the program?  The additional perk to this is Frost gets to work through any big boy coaching growing pains at Florida.  

It's like he got his HC coaching undergrad at UCF and he'll get his MBA at Florida and Nebraska will heap the rewards of the finished product.

I like the idea you have but that's a lot of what if's...

I do think Frost could end up here at some point in his career but since we're having a hypothetical conversation... What if Frost goes 3-9, 4-8 in his first 2 years at Florida.. Still want him at Nebraska if he is a complete failure there?

If we don't get Frost I would like to see Nebraska at least look at Chip Kelly. Between Frost and Kelly I would prefer Frost because I think Frost would be here for many years, while I think Chip Kelly would be successful and leave for either another NFL gig in 4 years.

Chip Kelly isn't the right personality at Nebraska, he would win the Cornhuskers many games no doubt, but he is not a likeable guy and he would rather be left alone and do strictly football coaching rather then cater to the boosters, fans, recruits.

He is  a great football coach, and would win Nebraska a lot of games, but I don't see his personality fitting here and I also don't see him sticking around long term.

7 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

If we don't get Frost I would like to see Nebraska at least look at Chip Kelly. Between Frost and Kelly I would prefer Frost because I think Frost would be here for many years, while I think Chip Kelly would be successful and leave for either another NFL gig in 4 years.

Chip Kelly isn't the right personality at Nebraska, he would win the Cornhuskers many games no doubt, but he is not a likeable guy and he would rather be left alone and do strictly football coaching rather then cater to the boosters, fans, recruits.

He is  a great football coach, and would win Nebraska a lot of games, but I don't see his personality fitting here and I also don't see him sticking around long term.

If the bolded above is true, and I don't necessarily think it is, then bring him aboard. This personable/nice guy act is great and all, but I'm ready to see GBR win some damn football games.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

If the bolded above is true, and I don't necessarily think it is, then bring him aboard. This personable/nice guy act is great and all, but I'm ready to see GBR win some damn football games.

No, not like Mike Riley polar opposite of Bo Pelini personality. I see it more of like Bill Callahan coming to Nebraska. Remember the cultural change he created? Chip Kelly would alienate himself from the fan base and the program would feel separated from the fan base.

There were Oregon boosters who wanted Chip Kelly gone even with all the winning he was giving the Ducks. The only booster that wanted Kelly around was Phil Knight, but Chip Kelly isolated himself, and the program from the fans, boosters, and media. That would not go over well in Nebraska at all.

• Plus1 2
Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

No, not like Mike Riley polar opposite of Bo Pelini personality. I see it more of like Bill Callahan coming to Nebraska. Remember the cultural change he created? Chip Kelly would alienate himself from the fan base and the program would feel separated from the fan base.

There were Oregon boosters who wanted Chip Kelly gone even with all the winning he was giving the Ducks. The only booster that wanted Kelly around was Phil Knight, but Chip Kelly isolated himself, and the program from the fans, boosters, and media. That would not go over well in Nebraska at all.

Maybe not. Unless we're winning B1G Championships, and regular appearances in the Playoff. How do you think it'd go over then?

Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Maybe not. Unless we're winning B1G Championships, and regular appearances in the Playoff. How do you think it'd go over then?

I don't know, I know he gave the Ducks PAC-12 titles, Rose bowl births, Rose Bowl championships, an appearance in the national championship, heights the Ducks had never experienced before and there were many who were ready for him to move on.

He goes to Philly and you hear about how much he wasn't liked in the front office and how he didn't get along with staff.

Sure, Nebraska may win a lot of games, maybe he has changed his ways and learned from his previous mistakes, but it just wouldn't feel like he would be a good fit.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I don't know, I know he gave the Ducks PAC-12 titles, Rose bowl births, Rose Bowl championships, an appearance in the national championship, heights the Ducks had never experienced before and there were many who were ready for him to move on.

He goes to Philly and you hear about how much he wasn't liked in the front office and how he didn't get along with staff.

Sure, Nebraska may win a lot of games, maybe he has changed his ways and learned from his previous mistakes, but it just wouldn't feel like he would be a good fit.

I don't think it would be neither, and I don't think there is much of a chance he's our next coach (1-2%?). But Nebraska fans crave winning more than Oregon fans do. I think we'd deal with that kind of behavior if he was producing championships, especially of the 'national' variety. Hell, we put up with Bo's nonsense for 7 years.

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA