Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Do we think Kelly can resurrect the Husker program? Kelly only has 4 good years as a HC, and that was taking over a very good program Bellotti had already built.

I don't think Nebraska has a program that needs to be resurrected per se.  Nebraska is in a pretty similar spot that Oregon was under Bellotti.  I'll certainly grant you that Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher tick with a few 10+ win seasons and that Chip Kelly came into a pretty good spot taking over after a 10 win season.  If you look at Bellotti's tenure though it's pretty if you combined Callahan and Pelini's tenures together.

5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I don't think Nebraska has a program that needs to be resurrected per se.  Nebraska is in a pretty similar spot that Oregon was under Bellotti.  I'll certainly grant you that Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher tick with a few 10+ win seasons and that Chip Kelly came into a pretty good spot taking over after a 10 win season.  If you look at Bellotti's tenure though it's pretty if you combined Callahan and Pelini's tenures together.

But Nebraska's situation is different, because after those Callahan/Pelini tenures, the Huskers were dealt Mike Riley for 3 years.

6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Oregon finished the season ranked in the top 10 in Bellotti's last season. Nebraska hasn't been that good in decades.

Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

But Nebraska's situation is different, because after those Callahan/Pelini tenures, the Huskers were dealt Mike Riley for 3 years.

That's a fair point Boneyard.  That being said, we're 'only' talking about 3 years and one of those was a 9 win season (although we all know it was nothing more than an uptick in positive variance).  If we were talking about a decade or more of heavy sustained losing than I would agree a guy like Kelly doesn't make much sense.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Oregon finished the season ranked in the top 10 in Bellotti's last season. Nebraska hasn't been that good in decades.

That's true and that's why I said Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher clip.  I don't think Nebraska is a program that needs to be resurrected like say, Colorado.  Colorado was literally dead in the water before MacIntyre took over and even then, they're still struggling a fair bit.  It needs to hit on the right coach and than a lot of things fall into place.

Edited by Xmas32
3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

That's true and that's why I said Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher clip.  I don't think Nebraska is a program that needs to be resurrected like say, Colorado.  It needs to hit on the right coach and than a lot of things fall into place.

I disagree with "slightly higher clip". Nebraska has trouble even being ranked in the top 25 over the last decade or so. Oregon was in way better shape as a program when Kelly took over than the Huskers have been since at least 2009 (really since 2001), and way, way better than we will be after 2017. I don't know that Kelly is a good choice for a rebuild.

Edited by RedDenver

Oregon hired Kelly at the perfect time, Kelly became Oregon's head coach at the perfect time. The Ducks and Kelly caught lightning in a bottle.

The Ducks were climbing steadily as a marketing giant with Nike, Kelly had a unique aggressive successful offense, and when they joined together the PAC10 at the time had USC getting hit with sanctions, the Washington Huskies were terrible, and the overall conference was really bad. The Ducks climbed to the top of a bad conference and their biggest contender was Stanford.

Chip Kelly's success at Oregon and Oregon's success came at the perfect time.

14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I disagree with "slightly higher clip". Nebraska has trouble even being ranked in the top 25 over the last decade or so. Oregon was in way better shape as a program when Kelly took over than the Huskers have been since at least 2009 (really since 2001), and way, way better than we will be after 2017. I don't know that Kelly is a good choice for a rebuild.

That's cool.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  No worries!

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Disclaimer is I'd be pretty thrilled with either coach.  In the current scenario, I'd rather have Kelly over Frost.  Now, if you told me that taking Kelly meant Nebraska could never get Frost, I'd probably lean towards Frost because I think Frost has multiple national championship upside.  I like Kelly because he's already been in the uber high pressure spots.  National championship games, the NFL (in Philly!  no less).  It's obvious his system works and works well.  You don't need 5* talent all over the place for his system to work.

His system works?  He hasn't won anything any where yet.  He was a bust in the NFL.  Look at what Doug Pederson is doing at Philly.

Sure his system worked to go to the Natty title game, but his teams are not rugged enough for B1G football.  He is a Pac 12 coach, and I think we by now should be done with that.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

His system works?  He hasn't won anything any where yet.  He was a bust in the NFL.  Look at what Doug Pederson is doing at Philly.

Sure his system worked to go to the Natty title game, but his teams are not rugged enough for B1G football.  He is a Pac 12 coach, and I think we by now should be done with that.

You know Frost's system is almost identical to Kelly's system? Frost is just willing to pass the ball more. Otherwise there are a lot of similiarties between UCF's offense and Oregon's offense.

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA