Jump to content
Chadhusker

Chip Kelly to UCLA

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Chadhusker said:

Would chip kelly be a good fit at Nebraska ? Herd that frost is going to Florida . 

 

Cattle?

Sheep?
Zebras?

Elephants?

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disclaimer is I'd be pretty thrilled with either coach.  In the current scenario, I'd rather have Kelly over Frost.  Now, if you told me that taking Kelly meant Nebraska could never get Frost, I'd probably lean towards Frost because I think Frost has multiple national championship upside.  I like Kelly because he's already been in the uber high pressure spots.  National championship games, the NFL (in Philly!  no less).  It's obvious his system works and works well.  You don't need 5* talent all over the place for his system to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely, he would be the splash hire everyone wanted three long years ago. He would make us instantly relevant again and bring the program back to life. Thanks being said, I would prefer frost, but chip would be a home run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Disclaimer is I'd be pretty thrilled with either coach.  In the current scenario, I'd rather have Kelly over Frost.  Now, if you told me that taking Kelly meant Nebraska could never get Frost, I'd probably lean towards Frost because I think Frost has multiple national championship upside.  I like Kelly because he's already been in the uber high pressure spots.  National championship games, the NFL (in Philly!  no less).  It's obvious his system works and works well.  You don't need 5* talent all over the place for his system to work.

Chip would use and abuse us if he came here. He would show he can coach and after 2 years take his talents back to the pac-12 or maybe big-12 and leave us with recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions.

 

Coaching wise he is great and could make us relevant but I don't think he is a long term solution.. I know we're all chomping at the bit to win and win now but I'd be willing to pass on chip and see if Frost, Joe Moorhead, Venables or Campbell would be options first

  • Plus1 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, people leaving you because they are doing a great job and get better options is not a bad thing.

 

I had a boss once tell me "I like when people work for me, do great things and get hired at other places..."

 

Of course...he said that to me while I was leaving and he was laughing and rolling his eyes...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Chip would use and abuse us if he came here. He would show he can coach and after 2 years take his talents back to the pac-12 or maybe big-12 and leave us with recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions.

 

Coaching wise he is great and could make us relevant but I don't think he is a long term solution.. I know we're all chomping at the bit to win and win now but I'd be willing to pass on chip and see if Frost, Joe Moorhead, Venables or Campbell would be options first

Was he actually responsible for any of Oregon’s violations? I know he was coach, but wasn’t it people outside the program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Was he actually responsible for any of Oregon’s violations? I know he was coach, but wasn’t it people outside the program?

Correct, my understanding is nothing was directly linked to him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

Was he actually responsible for any of Oregon’s violations? I know he was coach, but wasn’t it people outside the program?

They were recruiting violations on his behalf. So while it wasn't him directly he was responsible for the money given out and the things bought that were provided to recruits. I'm pretty sure he was smart enough to not be directly tied to the violations (unlike Rick Pitino at Louisville). In all honesty his violations weren't super severe and only lost 1 scholarship per year for 3 years and he couldn't coach in college for 18 months. (I believe)

 

I just don't think he'd value the position at Nebraska. Who knows, he could love it here and bring us great success but I wouldn't have him as my top option.. as i mentioned, i'd have him at 5th or 6th on the list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

Chip would use and abuse us if he came here. He would show he can coach and after 2 years take his talents back to the pac-12 or maybe big-12 and leave us with recruiting violations and NCAA sanctions.

 

Coaching wise he is great and could make us relevant but I don't think he is a long term solution.. I know we're all chomping at the bit to win and win now but I'd be willing to pass on chip and see if Frost, Joe Moorhead, Venables or Campbell would be options first

 

Quite possibly.  Kelly actually didn't do anything wrong when he was @ Oregon.  He got hit with the show cause penalty because a staff member was providing kickbacks and Kelly failed to monitor him/her.  

 

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/what-exactly-did-chip-kelly-do-warrant-ncaa-sanctions-not-much

 

If Kelly boosted the program in 2 or 3 years and then left for greener pastures that means he did a heckuva job at Nebraska and left the program in pretty good shape.  Of course there is a small chance that Kelly completely fails at Nebraska and he bolts after 2-3 years.  It's highly unlikely in my opinion, but it's a possibility.

 

Let me ask you this.  Would you take a few years of Kelly if it meant that you got Frost later?  Which version of Nebraska is more attractive to Frost.  The current version?  Or Nebraska in 3ish years after Kelly has transformed the program?  The additional perk to this is Frost gets to work through any big boy coaching growing pains at Florida.  

 

It's like he got his HC coaching undergrad at UCF and he'll get his MBA at Florida and Nebraska will heap the rewards of the finished product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

why?

Please read the entire thread...

 

But a quick rundown..

 

1) I think we have better long term options at the moment (Moorhead, Frost, Campbell, Venables, etc)

2) Chip would be here 2 years max and wouldn't value being here, only wants the money (envision Bill Callahan)

3) Shaky past with the NCAA - be it a minor thing and wasn't too harsh for the school but if he does it again I bet the penalties would increase exponentially

 

Sure, I'd want Chip over Riley.. I'd want drunk ole Steve Sarkesian and only the drunk version of Sark over Riley at this point but there are better long term options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chadhusker said:

Would chip kelly be a good fit at Nebraska ? Herd that frost is going to Florida . 

 

Sure you did, Florida fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

 

Quite possibly.  Kelly actually didn't do anything wrong when he was @ Oregon.  He got hit with the show cause penalty because a staff member was providing kickbacks and Kelly failed to monitor him/her.  

 

http://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/what-exactly-did-chip-kelly-do-warrant-ncaa-sanctions-not-much

 

If Kelly boosted the program in 2 or 3 years and then left for greener pastures that means he did a heckuva job at Nebraska and left the program in pretty good shape.  Of course there is a small chance that Kelly completely fails at Nebraska and he bolts after 2-3 years.  It's highly unlikely in my opinion, but it's a possibility.

 

Let me ask you this.  Would you take a few years of Kelly if it meant that you got Frost later?  Which version of Nebraska is more attractive to Frost.  The current version?  Or Nebraska in 3ish years after Kelly has transformed the program?  The additional perk to this is Frost gets to work through any big boy coaching growing pains at Florida.  

 

It's like he got his HC coaching undergrad at UCF and he'll get his MBA at Florida and Nebraska will heap the rewards of the finished product.

 

I like the idea you have but that's a lot of what if's...

 

I do think Frost could end up here at some point in his career but since we're having a hypothetical conversation... What if Frost goes 3-9, 4-8 in his first 2 years at Florida.. Still want him at Nebraska if he is a complete failure there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we don't get Frost I would like to see Nebraska at least look at Chip Kelly. Between Frost and Kelly I would prefer Frost because I think Frost would be here for many years, while I think Chip Kelly would be successful and leave for either another NFL gig in 4 years.

 

Chip Kelly isn't the right personality at Nebraska, he would win the Cornhuskers many games no doubt, but he is not a likeable guy and he would rather be left alone and do strictly football coaching rather then cater to the boosters, fans, recruits.

 

He is  a great football coach, and would win Nebraska a lot of games, but I don't see his personality fitting here and I also don't see him sticking around long term.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Chadhusker said:

Would chip kelly be a good fit at Nebraska ? Herd that frost is going to Florida . 

 

I love this OP for so many reasons. 

 

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

If we don't get Frost I would like to see Nebraska at least look at Chip Kelly. Between Frost and Kelly I would prefer Frost because I think Frost would be here for many years, while I think Chip Kelly would be successful and leave for either another NFL gig in 4 years.

 

Chip Kelly isn't the right personality at Nebraska, he would win the Cornhuskers many games no doubt, but he is not a likeable guy and he would rather be left alone and do strictly football coaching rather then cater to the boosters, fans, recruits.

 

He is  a great football coach, and would win Nebraska a lot of games, but I don't see his personality fitting here and I also don't see him sticking around long term.

 

 

If the bolded above is true, and I don't necessarily think it is, then bring him aboard. This personable/nice guy act is great and all, but I'm ready to see GBR win some damn football games.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RedNebraskan said:

Why the hate on Chip Kelly?  The scandal right?

 

Good question. I would take him in a heart beat. Sasmw with Frost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

 

If the bolded above is true, and I don't necessarily think it is, then bring him aboard. This personable/nice guy act is great and all, but I'm ready to see GBR win some damn football games.

 

No, not like Mike Riley polar opposite of Bo Pelini personality. I see it more of like Bill Callahan coming to Nebraska. Remember the cultural change he created? Chip Kelly would alienate himself from the fan base and the program would feel separated from the fan base.

 

There were Oregon boosters who wanted Chip Kelly gone even with all the winning he was giving the Ducks. The only booster that wanted Kelly around was Phil Knight, but Chip Kelly isolated himself, and the program from the fans, boosters, and media. That would not go over well in Nebraska at all.

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

 

No, not like Mike Riley polar opposite of Bo Pelini personality. I see it more of like Bill Callahan coming to Nebraska. Remember the cultural change he created? Chip Kelly would alienate himself from the fan base and the program would feel separated from the fan base.

 

There were Oregon boosters who wanted Chip Kelly gone even with all the winning he was giving the Ducks. The only booster that wanted Kelly around was Phil Knight, but Chip Kelly isolated himself, and the program from the fans, boosters, and media. That would not go over well in Nebraska at all.

 

Maybe not. Unless we're winning B1G Championships, and regular appearances in the Playoff. How do you think it'd go over then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

 

Maybe not. Unless we're winning B1G Championships, and regular appearances in the Playoff. How do you think it'd go over then?

I don't know, I know he gave the Ducks PAC-12 titles, Rose bowl births, Rose Bowl championships, an appearance in the national championship, heights the Ducks had never experienced before and there were many who were ready for him to move on.

 

He goes to Philly and you hear about how much he wasn't liked in the front office and how he didn't get along with staff.

 

Sure, Nebraska may win a lot of games, maybe he has changed his ways and learned from his previous mistakes, but it just wouldn't feel like he would be a good fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

I don't know, I know he gave the Ducks PAC-12 titles, Rose bowl births, Rose Bowl championships, an appearance in the national championship, heights the Ducks had never experienced before and there were many who were ready for him to move on.

 

He goes to Philly and you hear about how much he wasn't liked in the front office and how he didn't get along with staff.

 

Sure, Nebraska may win a lot of games, maybe he has changed his ways and learned from his previous mistakes, but it just wouldn't feel like he would be a good fit.

 

I don't think it would be neither, and I don't think there is much of a chance he's our next coach (1-2%?). But Nebraska fans crave winning more than Oregon fans do. I think we'd deal with that kind of behavior if he was producing championships, especially of the 'national' variety. Hell, we put up with Bo's nonsense for 7 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we think Kelly can resurrect the Husker program? Kelly only has 4 good years as a HC, and that was taking over a very good program Bellotti had already built.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Do we think Kelly can resurrect the Husker program? Kelly only has 4 good years as a HC, and that was taking over a very good program Bellotti had already built.

 

I don't think Nebraska has a program that needs to be resurrected per se.  Nebraska is in a pretty similar spot that Oregon was under Bellotti.  I'll certainly grant you that Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher tick with a few 10+ win seasons and that Chip Kelly came into a pretty good spot taking over after a 10 win season.  If you look at Bellotti's tenure though it's pretty if you combined Callahan and Pelini's tenures together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

 

I don't think Nebraska has a program that needs to be resurrected per se.  Nebraska is in a pretty similar spot that Oregon was under Bellotti.  I'll certainly grant you that Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher tick with a few 10+ win seasons and that Chip Kelly came into a pretty good spot taking over after a 10 win season.  If you look at Bellotti's tenure though it's pretty if you combined Callahan and Pelini's tenures together.

But Nebraska's situation is different, because after those Callahan/Pelini tenures, the Huskers were dealt Mike Riley for 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

 

I don't think Nebraska has a program that needs to be resurrected per se.  Nebraska is in a pretty similar spot that Oregon was under Bellotti.  I'll certainly grant you that Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher tick with a few 10+ win seasons and that Chip Kelly came into a pretty good spot taking over after a 10 win season.  If you look at Bellotti's tenure though it's pretty if you combined Callahan and Pelini's tenures together.

Oregon finished the season ranked in the top 10 in Bellotti's last season. Nebraska hasn't been that good in decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BoneyardHusker said:

But Nebraska's situation is different, because after those Callahan/Pelini tenures, the Huskers were dealt Mike Riley for 3 years.

 

That's a fair point Boneyard.  That being said, we're 'only' talking about 3 years and one of those was a 9 win season (although we all know it was nothing more than an uptick in positive variance).  If we were talking about a decade or more of heavy sustained losing than I would agree a guy like Kelly doesn't make much sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Oregon finished the season ranked in the top 10 in Bellotti's last season. Nebraska hasn't been that good in decades.

 

That's true and that's why I said Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher clip.  I don't think Nebraska is a program that needs to be resurrected like say, Colorado.  Colorado was literally dead in the water before MacIntyre took over and even then, they're still struggling a fair bit.  It needs to hit on the right coach and than a lot of things fall into place.

Edited by Xmas32

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

 

That's true and that's why I said Bellotti had Oregon running at a slightly higher clip.  I don't think Nebraska is a program that needs to be resurrected like say, Colorado.  It needs to hit on the right coach and than a lot of things fall into place.

I disagree with "slightly higher clip". Nebraska has trouble even being ranked in the top 25 over the last decade or so. Oregon was in way better shape as a program when Kelly took over than the Huskers have been since at least 2009 (really since 2001), and way, way better than we will be after 2017. I don't know that Kelly is a good choice for a rebuild.

Edited by RedDenver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oregon hired Kelly at the perfect time, Kelly became Oregon's head coach at the perfect time. The Ducks and Kelly caught lightning in a bottle.

 

The Ducks were climbing steadily as a marketing giant with Nike, Kelly had a unique aggressive successful offense, and when they joined together the PAC10 at the time had USC getting hit with sanctions, the Washington Huskies were terrible, and the overall conference was really bad. The Ducks climbed to the top of a bad conference and their biggest contender was Stanford.

 

Chip Kelly's success at Oregon and Oregon's success came at the perfect time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I disagree with "slightly higher clip". Nebraska has trouble even being ranked in the top 25 over the last decade or so. Oregon was in way better shape as a program when Kelly took over than the Huskers have been since at least 2009 (really since 2001), and way, way better than we will be after 2017. I don't know that Kelly is a good choice for a rebuild.

 

That's cool.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  No worries!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

Disclaimer is I'd be pretty thrilled with either coach.  In the current scenario, I'd rather have Kelly over Frost.  Now, if you told me that taking Kelly meant Nebraska could never get Frost, I'd probably lean towards Frost because I think Frost has multiple national championship upside.  I like Kelly because he's already been in the uber high pressure spots.  National championship games, the NFL (in Philly!  no less).  It's obvious his system works and works well.  You don't need 5* talent all over the place for his system to work.

His system works?  He hasn't won anything any where yet.  He was a bust in the NFL.  Look at what Doug Pederson is doing at Philly.

 

Sure his system worked to go to the Natty title game, but his teams are not rugged enough for B1G football.  He is a Pac 12 coach, and I think we by now should be done with that.

 

 

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

His system works?  He hasn't won anything any where yet.  He was a bust in the NFL.  Look at what Doug Pederson is doing at Philly.

 

Sure his system worked to go to the Natty title game, but his teams are not rugged enough for B1G football.  He is a Pac 12 coach, and I think we by now should be done with that.

 

 

 

You know Frost's system is almost identical to Kelly's system? Frost is just willing to pass the ball more. Otherwise there are a lot of similiarties between UCF's offense and Oregon's offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am stunned that people would turn this away:

 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Oregon Ducks (Pac-10/Pac-12 Conference) (2009–present)
2009 Oregon 10–3 8–1 1st L Rose 11 11
2010 Oregon 12–1 9–0 1st L BCS NCG 3 3
2011 Oregon 12–2 8–1 T–1st (North) W Rose 4 4
2012 Oregon 12–1 8–1 T–1st (North) W Fiesta 2 2
Oregon: 46–7 33–3  
Total: 46–7  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelly's system has worked at every college stop he has made as an OC.  He was Belloti's OC for 2 years before taking over and implemented his style from the get go and it worked out great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jessica0 said:

I am stunned that people would turn this away:

 

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Oregon Ducks (Pac-10/Pac-12 Conference) (2009–present)
2009 Oregon 10–3 8–1 1st L Rose 11 11
2010 Oregon 12–1 9–0 1st L BCS NCG 3 3
2011 Oregon 12–2 8–1 T–1st (North) W Rose 4 4
2012 Oregon 12–1 8–1 T–1st (North) W Fiesta 2 2
Oregon: 46–7 33–3  
Total: 46–7  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

 

It's impressive, but Oregon didn't have to deal with an Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Wisconsin. The Pac-12 was a weak conference in Kelly's days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, who is the one Pac12 team that we compare ourselves and other B1G teams to?  Stanford.  Stanford is who beat Oregon.  So tell me again how that system works when you play a "Stanford" almost each and every week in the B1G?

 

Just because Frost runs that system at UCF, does not mean he will totally go that way if he comes here.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×