Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

0-1 vs the B1G in the national championship with Mark Helfrich as the HC.  Not Chip Kelly.....

Other than that, yes.  "Not always"

He did lose to OSU in the Rose Bowl in 2009 17–26 but did beat Purdue that year 38–36.

In 2012 he beat Wisconsin 45–38 in the Rose Bowl. That would be a step in the right direction for Nebraska. 

1 minute ago, jaws said:

He did lose to OSU in the Rose Bowl in 2009 17–26 but did beat Purdue that year 38–36.

In 2012 he beat Wisconsin 45–38 in the Rose Bowl. That would be a step in the right direction for Nebraska. 

The post said "They didn't always do well vs Big Ten teams in the playoffs."

Oregon has only faced one B1G team in the CFP.  

2 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

The post said "They didn't always do well vs Big Ten teams in the playoffs."

Oregon has only faced one B1G team in the CFP.  

And that post was wrong. I was just posting the times he played Big 10 teams which is kind of meaningless because he didn't face too many of them. 

Edit: the post about Kelly playing a Big10 team in the playoffs was wrong.

Edited by jaws

19 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Kelly was 2-1 vs B1G teams.  So I guess the post is technically right?  He didn't ALWAYS do well vs B1G teams

I guess you can almost say that about any coach. I mean Nick Saban has some losses vs BIG teams and one in the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, jaws said:

I guess you can almost say that about any coach. I mean Nick Saban has some losses vs BIG teams and one in the playoffs. 

What is happening here?  I was being sarcastic towards ToniStalloni's post about Chip Kelly not doing well against B1G teams in the CFP.  because that scenario literally never happened.

46 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What is happening here?  I was being sarcastic towards ToniStalloni's post about Chip Kelly not doing well against B1G teams in the CFP.  because that scenario literally never happened.

I know and I am being sarcastic about it as well. This board doesn't nest responses so it doesn't show his original response when I quote you.

I believe there are a dozen or so coaches out there that could, if given enough time, produce the results our fan base is begging for.  I believe Chip is on that list but...I'm afraid the list of coaches we are willing to give the time to is extremely short.  I'm not sure anyone not named Frost would be given enough time.  Maybe Chip's past record would buy him enough patience?

7 hours ago, RedRedJarvisRedwine said:

I don't understand this statement. Osborne didn't have much of a personality, so if we are looking for someone in that mold it might be tough. Just get a good coach. Stop putting these parameters on how they should do it with the obvious exception of doing it within the rules. So many people want the next coach to win at a high level but only if they "fit" the Nebraska culture/mold that isn't even all that identifiable. What exactly is the mold that Nebraska coaches need to fit that differs from what every other college coaching job requires?

Ok.  Not my post, but must respond.  The mold that we have created is one that we have fired 2 coaches with real good winning percentages.  We use an excuse that sounds like were entitled to winning championships, with out earning them.  We think that everything here is the head coaches fault for not winning.  We think that each year we are recruiting National Title talent, and our coaches just suck.  

Riley does suck.  He might be worse than Callahan.  We fired Solich and Pelini who each had 9 win seasons the year they were fired.  Wow, you read that, and it sounds so pathetic each time.  We never upgraded each time we fired a 9 win coach, because no one wanted to fit in that mold.  Here we are now 14 years since Solich.  Looking pathetically worse than at almost anytime in our current history.   So I think when people want someone who will fit the Nebraska mold so to speak, that person has to embrace our past along with knowing what to do to make the future bright.  So, of those current and possible guys on the market or near the market, who is that going to be?  Chip Kelly-No.

Kevin Sumlin-No.  on and on..............Great coaches who want great jobs go and get them.  Its not college going and getting coaches.  Interest has to be there first from the coach.  If that interest is not there, your wasting time.  Find that coach who wants this job, and things might get better.  Quit hiring the 4th and 5th choice.  Find Mr. Right, that is looking at this job as a landing point, not a starting point.

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I believe there are a dozen or so coaches out there that could, if given enough time, produce the results our fan base is begging for.  I believe Chip is on that list but...I'm afraid the list of coaches we are willing to give the time to is extremely short.  I'm not sure anyone not named Frost would be given enough time.  Maybe Chip's past record would buy him enough patience?

well then, if we give Frost 5-6 years to get consistent, then why not? and i agree, he is probably the only one of a select few to get that much time. anyone else we would approach would have to know, 3-4 years of continuous improvement and better play would be the minimum expected....if showing progress and building to better play is the goal, why should any good coach be afraid to come here?......many of these guys like a little security, few are truly dedicated to the pursuit of excellence....it's hard work and it takes mental toughness.

even Riley would be safe for a few more years, if he just showed some intelligent game management  and coaching skills.

7 hours ago, kchusker_chris said:

Enlighten me please.  They played defense, that isn't in MR's plan.  Caused turnovers, not something we've been doing.  Rushed for 240 yards on 38 attempts. That doesn't sound like a Riley team.  Are you maybe talking about the TE's catching the ball?  Well that's because of THIS guy...someone who should be a Husker but isn't because of Riley and Co. slow played him if IRC...

Noah Fant - Sophomore

Season 23 353 15.3 45 7

Watch the game and judge for yourself.  It's on youtube and compressed into under an hour with just the plays, which is a great way to watch.  I also said an MR offensive game plan.  Iowa was very balanced in run pass attempts, but 5 TD's came via pass compared to 1 TD via run. 

Fant accounted for 4 out of 21 receptions.  He looks like a fine player, but I don't think he'd have made a difference in our win loss total this year had he come to N.  What would is a breakaway receiver who can take the top off a defense.  A healthy Tre Bryant to go with our other backs would, and a healthy O-line would just help in general all around. 

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA