Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

5 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Yes, Bellotti's team dominated CU in 2001 and went 11-1 but Chip went 12-1 TWICE as the HC,  2010 & 2012.

After that 11-1 team of Bellotti's,  Oregon went:

2002: 7-6

2003: 8-5

2004: 5-6

2005: 10-2

2006: 7-6

2007: 9-4 ( First year with Kelly as OC )

2008: 10-3

2009: 10-3 ( First year with Kelly as HC )

2010: 12-1

2011: 12-2

2012: 12-1 ( Last year with Kelly as HC )

Just looking at that tells me that Kelly was a big upgrade to Bellotti's team starting in '07.   Those 5-6 years that Kelly was apart of that team,  they became A LOT better.

I would not be upset one bit if he came here and had that success. 

There's no disputing Kelly had a great run at one school, for a short time period.  He benefited from many factors beyond his control.

Let me put it this way, he doesn't have half the resume Spurrier had prior to becoming HC at SC.  Spurrier had won a National Championship, 6 SEC Championships, and 4 BCS bowls.

Spurrier is/was a superior coach in every measurable way.  More wins, more championships, better recruiter, better big game coach, better play caller, etc....  So how did that translate to South Carolina?

2005 South Carolina 7–5 5–3 T–2nd (Eastern) L Independence    
2006 South Carolina 8–5 3–5 5th (Eastern) W Liberty    
2007 South Carolina 6–6 3–5 T–4th (Eastern)      
2008 South Carolina 7–6 4–4 T–3rd (Eastern) L Outback    
2009 South Carolina 7–6 3–5 T–4th (Eastern) L PapaJohns.com    
2010 South Carolina 9–5 5–3 1st (Eastern) L Chick-fil-A 22 22
2011 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 8 9
2012 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 3rd (Eastern) W Outback 7 8
2013 South Carolina 11–2 6–2 2nd (Eastern) W Capital One 4 4
2014 South Carolina 7–6 3–5 T–4th (Eastern) W Independence    
2015 South Carolina 2–4[note 3] 0–4[note 3] (Eastern)[note 3]      
South Carolina: 86–49 44–40  

Maybe their greatest coach ever, but as you will notice, you don't build Rome in a day.  It wasn't until his 6th or 7th year at SC when his system was fully implemented and his players were in place until they really took off.  Given Kelly's record against power teams, I doubt he'd ever reach similar levels of success at Nebraska playing against BIG teams before he'd wear out his welcome.  We are not a patient bunch.   If we we're, we would be much better off giving MR a little more time.  Go watch the Iowa game from last weekend.  They beat Ohio State using MR's offensive game plan. 

What we truly need more than a coaching change to see a big improvement in the W-L column is a receiver or two who can take the top off the defense.  A dynamic back, and a healthy O-line.  I'm tired of chasing big names and hype, at some point we need to understand you have to get down in the dirt, do the dirty work, be patient, and put in the time if you want to see this program rise up again.  Making another change now would just prolong that even more.

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I’m not sure why people don’t think Kelly has a good enough resume for the NU job.  He was one of college football’s top 5 coaches 5 years ago, and his record at Oregon speaks for itself (see above). People act like he only made one national championship game, he’s a failure. 

We're Nebraska fans, it's what we do.  I remember when Russel Wilson was transferring and how that conversation played out on HB.  Guy was dog-$h!t, no way we'd want him here.  Haha.  

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

One of the major complaints with Callahan and Pelini to some degree was their lack of interest in Husker history and past players.  We can agree or disagree on the importance of that issue.  Chip Kelly would have little interest in Husker lore.  Can he coach.....yes.  Can he run a clean program.....debatable.  Would he be an improvement over Riley and staff....yes.  One thing I remember about Oregon teams.  They didn't always do well vs Big Ten teams in the playoffs.  

0-1 vs the B1G in the national championship with Mark Helfrich as the HC.  Not Chip Kelly.....

Other than that, yes.  "Not always"

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

...  If we we're, we would be much better off giving MR a little more time.  Go watch the Iowa game from last weekend.  They beat Ohio State using MR's offensive game plan.

Enlighten me please.  They played defense, that isn't in MR's plan.  Caused turnovers, not something we've been doing.  Rushed for 240 yards on 38 attempts. That doesn't sound like a Riley team.  Are you maybe talking about the TE's catching the ball?  Well that's because of THIS guy...someone who should be a Husker but isn't because of Riley and Co. slow played him if IRC...

Noah Fant - Sophomore

Season 23 353 15.3 45 7

4 minutes ago, kchusker_chris said:

Enlighten me please.  They played defense, that isn't in MR's plan.  Caused turnovers, not something we've been doing.  Rushed for 240 yards on 38 attempts. That doesn't sound like a Riley team.  Are you maybe talking about the TE's catching the ball?  Well that's because of THIS guy...someone who should be a Husker but isn't because of Riley and Co. slow played him if IRC...

Noah Fant - Sophomore

Season 23 353 15.3 45 7

I didn't realize that Iowa used the Riley game plan of "admitting defeat on the opening kickoff and just trying to stay within 30 points of Ohio State".

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, kchusker_chris said:

Noah Fant - Sophomore

Season 23 353 15.3 45 7

Damon Benning has said multiple times that Fant was a heavy Iowa lean to begin with and it was going to be an uphill climb for Riley anyway

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Damon Benning has said multiple times that Fant was a heavy Iowa lean to begin with and it was going to be an uphill climb for Riley anyway

It's fair to say that both Bo and Riley botched the Fant recruiting.  Bo didn't show him enough love early in the process, and Riley wasn't willing to recruit him as a tight end, until very late in the process.  I know it's shocking that both Bo and Riley can botch something involved with coaching football.

• Plus1 2

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

It's fair to say that both Bo and Riley botched the Fant recruiting.  Bo didn't show him enough love early in the process, and Riley wasn't willing to recruit him as a tight end, until very late in the process.  I know it's shocking that both Bo and Riley can botch something involved with coaching football.

I'll go with that but Nebraska was his 4th offer.  This idea he was slow played is revisionist history.

But at the time, Nebraska had Jack Stoll and Jared Bubak committed as TE's.  So I think Riley being up front about their intentions was fine.  Obviously Bubak went elsewhere so that had them go to the well and talk TE with him.  And now we have David Engelhaupt

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'll go with that but Nebraska was his 4th offer.  This idea he was slow played is revisionist history.

But at the time, Nebraska had Jack Stoll and Jared Bubak committed as TE's.  So I think Riley being up front about their intentions was fine.  Obviously Bubak went elsewhere so that had them go to the well and talk TE with him.  And now we have David Engelhaupt

Even if NU had other TE's committed, Riley needs to tell the kid what the kid wants to hear to get him on campus.  It may not be genuine, but that's how recruiting goes.  Then Riley could have seen that Fant could be a very good TE, once Fant got on campus.  As many have said, I don't think Riley and his staff are very good evaluators of talent and how to use kids properly on the field.

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Even if NU had other TE's committed, Riley needs to tell the kid what the kid wants to hear to get him on campus.  It may not be genuine, but that's how recruiting goes.  Then Riley could have seen that Fant could be a very good TE, once Fant got on campus.  As many have said, I don't think Riley and his staff are very good evaluators of talent and how to use kids properly on the field.

We don't know what all Riley said and when.  But like Benning mentioned.  Iowa was the lean from the jump.

Launch, informative post about SC and Spurrier which gave me the following thoughts.

1. Lou Holtz had a few decent years followed by a few poor years before Spurrier took over a program that had not achieved anything in their past. For those reasons it would make sense to be patient.

2. I don't believe Spurrier had any real ties to SC but he was a splash hire that improved the program and stayed for a long time. Kelly could be similar but we'd need to provide something like membership to a golf club as they provided Spurrier to get him to stick.

I think Kelly would work. Expectations for winning a championship somewhere in the 3-7 year timeframe.

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA