Administration Concerns

So I listened to the whole Diaco interview from yesterday, and I came away more concerned about the entire program more than anything else. I was fairly shocked to hear that the administration has been forcing things like how to tackle to our coaches - and it seems like this has been an institutional problem for awhile (the meddling). It is hard for me wrap my head around that... seems like a huge handcuff for any staff to do what they need to do in order to succeed. The fragmented culture and overall program showing its cracks in the foundation - it all seems to need a reset. I basically feel less worried that we hire the right coach... but more of a worry for the program as a whole needing a fresh start with a clean slate. Im not sure how that happens but Im hopeful Moos can do it with whoever he decides to hire. 

• Plus1 1

It was heavily disputed that anything was "forced" here. And it seems like every year some coach somewhere has a whole new idea about what "tackling" really means and how to get players to "actually" do it. This is maybe the first time I've seen a coach try to call rugby tackling as fake non-tackling.

I think Diaco has a tenuous grasp of the concept of accountability.

• Plus1 4

There are/were definitely issues with the leadership and accountability of the Athletic Director, Head Football Coach, and the Head Football Coach's Chief of Staff.  It's not a surprise that this information is coming out, and more info will be leaked as the team has further struggles, and coaches and players go into CYA mode.  

10 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It was heavily disputed that anything was "forced" here. And it seems like every year some coach somewhere has a whole new idea about what "tackling" really means and how to get players to "actually" do it. This is maybe the first time I've seen a coach try to call rugby tackling as fake non-tackling.

I think Diaco has a tenuous grasp of the concept of accountability.

There are two types of force in the workplace.

1.  You get told exactly what you are going to do.

2.  You get told what the person who is signing your checks thinks you should do...but it it still totally up to you...but still you should really think it over...but remember it is your call...but still you should look into it...but remember it is your choice...wink.

I have a friend that coaches at the school I coach at but he teaches at a different school...he says at the school where he teaches there is no such thing as "volunteer" it is "voluntold"

Good point.  However, Wisconsin is reaping the benefits of an athletic director that runs that program and they can win 10 games year in and out.  They have some turnover with coaches (Bielma & Anderson) but it works for them.  Proven when you see how terrible Brett & Gary are coaching at other places.  Ultimately I'm sure they got tired of revolving everything around what Barry wanted to do, but hell Wisconsin is in a pretty fortunate position. 

Edited by Blackshirts007
10 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I think Diaco is going to go down as a spectacularly bad hire. Better to have stuck with Banker. I get the appeal on paper, and he has his strong qualities, but man, yikes.

In some way, shape, or form; coordinators are a lot like QBs where they get too much of the credit as well as too much of the blame.  How many times have we read on here through the years that Callahan would still be here if he'd just have gotten rid of Cosgrove?  Venables was pretty much run out of OU, but look how he's doing at Clemson.  Mike Stoops was all World at OU until he came back.  Now, they'd like to run him out on a rail.  I'm of the opinion that communication has been poor within the last three coaching staffs.  The OC and DC never really seemed to be on the same page.  I doubt Diaco has any trouble after this year finding a job.

50 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I agree on that, I would have kept Banker instead of hiring Bob.

Been a lot of innuendos that the hiring of Bob and the firing of Banker was also above Riley's pay grade.   Hearing the things I'm hearing, sounds more and more like Riley was too much of a good guy and got pushed around both from those above him and to an extent those who he coached.   Talks of him being too nice and timid and was walked all over by almost everyone.

Just now, sho said:

Been a lot of innuendos that the hiring of Bob and the firing of Banker was also above Riley's pay grade.   Hearing the things I'm hearing, sounds more and more like Riley was too much of a good guy and got pushed around both from those above him and to an extent those who he coached.   Talks of him being too nice and timid and was walked all over by almost everyone.

Yeah, that does seem to be floating around.