Diaco and his , defensive methodology

..As anyone who reads local papers regarding Husker football and the writers that follow and report/write on Huskers, they generally seem to put together good articles. However they like a bunch of vulchers on Diaco, and how they are covering him shows their lack of social intelligence..they just bash him in their articles, specifically of his quotes/responses to questions and I’ll have to side with Diaco on this one issue. The nature of some of these idiots questions put Diaco, a leader, in a horrible position, and the ones asking these questions should absolutely have awareness of the position it puts the subject in..

...they keep hounding him about his self refuting or contradictory answers to their questions..I take a step back and put myself in his position..which is very easy, cause I have been, not as Coach, but as a organizational leader, and certain things like this transcend the type of organization and thus irrelevant...

..he gets placed in a dilemma by these jerk reporters questions..I perceive the man wants to tell the truth, however stating the “truth”  in this aspect, to a reporter is anything but helpful. 

He knows full well the Husker Defensive woes always start the same place defensive success starts..with the three down linemen...He knows these 3 are physically weak, due to both youth and failures in the whole lifting and nutrition program at Nebraska, case in point, Husker O line averages 37% body fat..12% over the average percentage of the top CFP team O lines going back 3 years..

...would a leader of any virtue or character say this to a reporter..”my 3 linemen are not physically strong enough to control their gap..”...is that what the reporter want to hear..? So, Diaco is now conflicted, lie or tell the truth, that’s why he’s stumbling all over his words..IMO the Media just needs to leave the dang man alone for awhile...

..it’s all upfront, it doesn’t take a coach to know it’s always the linemen that drive success, in the case, it’s 3 due to the scheme..

..I’ve seen mick stoltenberg get tossed out of his gap like a fly..

..I posted awhile back on Husker strength methodologies are a absolute failure, evidence is seen every game..I’ve seen, I think every O linemen now get driven back and pancaked in the backfield..no explosive launch whatsoever...I guess squats are optional under mike Riley..

i watch navy games every year..have you all seen how they fire off the ball..? I mean they explode and give teams fits...

.Diaco had success at NT Dame for many reasons, not all of them was he responsible for said success..he had powerful, powerful rush ends and nose guard/tackle..

..when you have DEs and NTs like he had, (DE pictured below) ...the defense WILL have succes..

This is truitt I believe..I remember seeing him play under Diaco and very much remember his combine metrics..he bench pressed 30 or 31 reps..(for reference Suh did 34 I believe)

exemplification

518B1640-9695-40AB-ADA1-35928873BB97.jpeg

While I do believe your point is valid, I have to point out another obvious thing you aren't mentioning.  The media ask stupid questions to every coach in the nation.  Some coaches do better than others with those answers.  I believe we are paying Diaco enough money to expect him to be able to answer the bird brained silly questions without looking like an idiot.  

• Plus1 2

I would argue leadership is more about how you act when everyone is hounding you rather than when things are going just fine. Diaco isn't a bad dude and he isn't a bad coach. But the way in which he deflects blame is certainly a character flaw that won't allow him to move past being a coordinator unless he gets it resolved. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I would argue leadership is more about how you act when everyone is hounding you rather than when things are going just fine. Diaco isn't a bad dude and he isn't a bad coach. But the way in which he deflects blame is certainly a character flaw that won't allow him to move past being a coordinator unless he gets it resolved. 

Pretty much until last week he pretty much took all the blame. The issue is, we don't have the kids to play his system the way he wants to play it, which I assume is what Riley wanted to do. I understand that most want the coach to just go up there and lie, so we can bash them, but I think he decided he would honestly answer his question.

2 minutes ago, I.M. OLD said:

Pretty much until last week he pretty much took all the blame. The issue is, we don't have the kids to play his system the way he wants to play it, which I assume is what Riley wanted to do. I understand that most want the coach to just go up there and lie, so we can bash them, but I think he decided he would honestly answer his question.

Seriously? He has deflected blame over and over. He blamed Riley when he wasn't available after Arky State. He blamed the offense after NIU I think or maybe it was Wisconsin. He blamed the offense again with his "do you see the strain" comments. He is always deflecting blame. He may not deserve the blame in the first place, but the way he reacts to those situations will make it hard for him to become a head coach unless he can change. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Seriously? He has deflected blame over and over. He blamed Riley when he wasn't available after Arky State. He blamed the offense after NIU I think or maybe it was Wisconsin. He blamed the offense again with his "do you see the strain" comments. He is always deflecting blame. He may not deserve the blame in the first place, but the way he reacts to those situations will make it hard for him to become a head coach unless he can change. 

He has on numerous times said they have to get better, coaching has to improve.... NIU? I sure am not blaming the D for 2 pick sixes.There was a quite a streak where our offense was outscoring the opponents offense and I pretty much only heard him say they have to get better. If the same reporters kept asking you the same questions over and over, at what point would you tell them the truth/ throwing other coaches under the bus, or would you just keep pushing the company line and scooping the b.s. Obviously he is not getting the job done. It's really obvious that we did not have the players to play the 3-4 Defense. I am guessing that he is getting tired of shouldering the blame and taking all the heat for many things beyond his control, such as not having a NT for a 3-4, not having linebackers for a 3-4, having half the players that many are Jr's and Sr's that can't tackle ect. His last rant was "interesting" for sure, and I would like to know what his definition of strain is. When I looked up the definition of strain one of the definitions was effort, and that fits for several if not most of the defensive players most of the time, but you need 100% effort, 100% of the time. He can obviously coach defense with top flight talent, but that is not what he has. Having an offense that often goes 3 and out without running any clock is not doing the defense any favors. I am in no way comparing McBride to Dickoh , but when Nebraska went to the 4-3 "fans" wanted to run him out of town on a rail. The defensive coaches wives could not even go to the games without being treated like crap being called names and such. If we did not have a great offense who knows what would of happened. Now he was one of the greatest minds in our history. Until he got the kids he needed, everyone said the 4-3 would not work either.

I never said he was wrong....

I don't want him run out of town and I don't think he is a bad coach. I think he could build a very good defense here with time but what I'm talking about has nothing to do with that. You can defend him all you want but since he has been here I have seen a pattern of him claiming it's not his fault it's someone else's whenever a problem arises. Again, he may not be entirely wrong in that assessment, but it's the way in which he goes about it that will make it hard for him to move up in the future. I am in no way saying he is a bad coach person or the like, I'm just calling it like I see it and his media skills will hold him back from a HC gig in the future unless he makes a change. 

Edited by Nebfanatic

Agree about stupid reporter questions and the near impossibility of giving honest answers.

But that's where the $825,000 salary comes in. You're a communicator. Part of your job is being the face of the institution, and in Nebraska's case, the state itself. 

Doesn't help Diaco when he sounds like he just snorted a couple lines in the bathroom and his mouth is way ahead of his brain. 

• Plus1 1