Gary Patterson

jessica0

1 minute ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

No. A head coaches job upon retirement isn't to pick his successor it's to retire and let the Athletic Director do HIS job which includes the hiring/firing of coaches.

Devaney was promoted to AD before he hired Osborne as the new head coach so we can't use that as an excuse for what Osborne did.

I mean that's fine if you think so, but the reality is that by Osborne picking Solich he kept the continuity of the program going in every respect other than he himself being the head coach. Same offense, same defense, pretty much the same elite results. What do you envision would have happened otherwise? Who was going to be hired, as an outsider at a program who had in-house coaches for the last 35 years, that was going to come in and piss everybody off by transitioning away from an option offense, and going through growing pains from it?

• Plus1 1

I think you have to grade GP only since joining the B12, which is still good but nothing crazy. (48-25) 66% 

TCU Horned Frogs (Big 12 Conference) (2012–present)
2012 TCU 7–6 4–5 T–5th L Buffalo Wild Wings    
2013 TCU 4–8 2–7 T–7th      
2014 TCU 12–1 8–1 T–1st W Peach 3 3
2015 TCU 11–2 7–2 T–2nd W Alamo 7 7
2016 TCU 6–7 4–5 5th L Liberty    
2017 TCU 8–1 5–1      
  • Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Bo had a certain charisma and powerful personality that Osborne was drawn to.  He was a fiery personality and seemed to have a good sense of humor.  He hadn't gone into full a-hole mode yet.  He was a much different guy in 2007, than he was in 2013 and 2014.

I agree, but I also think TO was a bit blinded by the easy choice. There is a difference in fiery personality and as$hole. The ending of the '03 KSU game should've told Tom all he needed to know about Bo's character.

3 minutes ago, fire mike said:

I agree, but I also think TO was a bit blinded by the easy choice. There is a difference in fiery personality and as$hole. The ending of the '03 KSU game should've told Tom all he needed to know about Bo's character.

Who knows how involved TO was with the University and Athletic Department at the time.  He was in Congress from 2001-2007.

I didn't think what Bo did at the end of that game was all that bad.  Snyder was running up the score (which I don't think is a big deal) and Bo was sticking up for his team.  Solich wasn't doing anything at the time to do that.

Edited by ColoradoHusk

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Just because those coaches didn't end up being great for a long time doesn't mean they were bone-headed. Most coaching hires fail, especially when you have expectations like NU. Osborne earned the right to pick his predecessor, and Solich was a fine head coach if we're looking at the results. He had a single down year, but brought us a conference championship, three straight top 10 finishes, a national championship game appearance, and a Fiesta Bowl win in his first six years, with the same win percentage and just slightly less accomplishments than Osborne (the greatest coach of all time) achieved in his first six years.

Pelini was also a good coaching hire. Osborne was fixated on Pelini because that is who, by a landslide, our fanbase wanted, and because he was a good, qualified candidate. Pelini's resume, for example, was quite similar to Kirby Smart's resume before being hired at Georgia, who's currently the #1 team in the nation. Patterson was also a good, qualified candidate, but the fanbase wasn't pining hard for Patterson.

I disagree.

Again, they were fixated on him because that's who we wanted, and he was a good candidate. He certainly wasn't the same guy as far as his disdain for the athletic department/director, and the fanbase. This was once upon a time his dream job. That changed.

What character concerns? I'm not aware of those.

If we had done a national coaching search in 1998, I bet we could have found 10-20 candidates more qualified than Solich. He deserves respect for his time as a player and assistant. But he was out of his depth as a head coach at a top-flight program. If he was such a great hire, then why hasn’t he received any interest from any decent football program since? Why is he still stuck in Ohio? It’s because as big of a colossal douchebag as Steve Pedersen was and is, he was right about Solich. He’s the definition of mediocre. He never should have been hired as head coach. Once that mistake had been made, every year he was allowed to remain was another mistake. 

Pelini was a good defensive coordinator. He was a horrible head coaching hire. He lacks the ability to be a CEO of a program, the mental stability to deal with the pressure of being the big dog at a bigtime program, and the discipline, leadership ability, and character to be the face of a bigtime program. As with Solich, who else wanted the guy for a head coaching gig? If he’s the great hire you claim, why is he stuck at Youngstown? 

Osborne blessed us with decades of good football and three national titles. But his legacy also includes two crappy coaching hires that have tarnished the program he built. Solich and Pelini are flawed, limited, mediocre coaches who are ill-suited to run a big time program. We need to aim bigger with this search, or we’re destined to go the way of Minnesota...a once great program that is now irrelevant. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I didn't think what Bo did at the end of that game was all that bad.  Snyder was running up the score (which I don't think is a big deal) and Bo was sticking up for his team.  Solich wasn't doing anything at the time to do that.

Bo was being a baby nothing more nothing less. It wasn’t like they were out there throwing the ball all over.  They handed the ball off to Sproles and the defense couldn’t stop him.  I’m guessing his hurt pride is what got the best of him.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

He’s the definition of mediocre.

You don't understand how words work. 

Solich:

9-4 / #19

12-1 / Big XII Champions / Fiesta Bowl Champions / #2

10-2 / #7

11-2 / National Championship Game Appearance / #7

7-7

8-3 / ranked #22 at the time of firing

me·di·o·cre
ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Who knows how involved TO was with the University and Athletic Department at the time.  He was in Congress from 2001-2007.

Id have to go back and look at the stats, as I was at the game but only 13 years old so don’t remember it a ton, but I felt like Snyder was primarily running the ball and we just couldn’t stop it. If I’m wrong, sorry about that. 

5 minutes ago, fire mike said:

Id have to go back and look at the stats, as I was at the game but only 13 years old so don’t remember it a ton, but I felt like Snyder was primarily running the ball and we just couldn’t stop it. If I’m wrong, sorry about that. 

It’s no big deal. You are probably right. I just don’t have issues about coaches being pissed off after a loss. 

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

You don't understand how words work. 

Solich:

9-4 / #19

12-1 / Big XII Champions / Fiesta Bowl Champions / #2

10-2 / #7

11-2 / National Championship Game Appearance / #7

7-7

8-3 / ranked #22 at the time of firing

me·di·o·cre
ˌmēdēˈōkər/
adjective
  1. of only moderate quality; not very good.

Given where the program was at when he took over, that’s certainly mediocre. In addition, the market has spoken. He’s been at a mediocre school out of the national spotlight for roughly 15 years now. If Solich is such an amazing head coach, why isn’t he fielding offers from big name programs?

Edited by tfree32

All is 20/20 in hindsight. At the end of it all, if we get Frost and he is successful then all these things that happened or didn't happen actually benefited us in the long term. First, we still don't know if Patterson would have been successful at Nebraska and in the Big Ten, and if he was, we wouldn't be in a position to get Frost as our head coach for 2018.

I'm sorry, but what makes ANY of this valid...?  I mean COME ON:  'If if's and buts were candy and nuts...'  I know things are slow right now and it's a board for posting all, but some of this is soooooooo tiresome.  What if Osborn HADN'T gone for 2 Against Miami?  What if the 'phantom' hold on NU hadn't been called in the 1993 Championship game?  What if...?  Is it me, or is this just godforsakenly olllllllllllld and irrelevant?  Sorry for any offense to the OP or repliers...  I mean that.  It just seems, so... "What if Janie had married ERIC and they had had a GIRL instead of a boy...?"