Turn Around - How long?

I think that with the right coach, we can go 8-4 next season.  7-5 being the under.  9-3 being the over.  Next year can't be the barometer though.  Our schedule is awful.  We have to beat non-cons and the usuals.  Illinois, Purdue, Minny, Northwestern.  Thats 7 wins.  

In this day and age, I woudn't predict anything above that right now.  I am pissed off about our players not showing up today ready to play.  Sure, its on our coaches, but its on the players to come in ready for battle.  They weren't.  Rise above.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think that with the right coach, we can go 8-4 next season.  7-5 being the under.  9-3 being the over.  Next year can't be the barometer though.  Our schedule is awful.  We have to beat non-cons and the usuals.  Illinois, Purdue, Minny, Northwestern.  Thats 7 wins.  

In this day and age, I woudn't predict anything above that right now.  I am pissed off about our players not showing up today ready to play.  Sure, its on our coaches, but its on the players to come in ready for battle.  They weren't.  Rise above.  

There were a few that came to play.  Spielman, Webber to name a couple.  It was so obvious that some were trying and some weren't.  I felt bad for the ones that were still giving it their all.

12 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

It's going to take a while.  Look at our two-deep.  How many walk-ons are there?  We need to gather talent and that'll take time.

Look at Minnesota’s two deep and recruit rankings.  Sick of people trying to blame the fact we have walkons playing. They earned their time and, he’ll they are some of our best performers.

Edited by shyndy
  • Plus1 2

I think if we make a good hire (hoping Frost, but also not counting on it), the kids are going to know that. They’ll be eager. Kids aren’t as naive anymore with all the information being out there, they know they’re playing for a lame duck. It’s hard to go out and bust your balls fora coach who acts like he’s barely there now. 

A competent coach comes in and the first thing that adjusts is attitude. With that it’s a lot easier to address the fundamental issues like blocking and tackling. I think if it’s a splash hire many of the kids stay. They want to play for a good coach. 

Just competent coaching gets us back to that eight win level, where our talent should put put us. Just not losing to the NIUs and Minnesotas.  

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, runningblind said:

Easier than if you never had history yes. People keep bringing up OU but they border one of the top 2 states in the country for talent. That is very different than bordering KS, IA, SD and WY.

There is a very good chance we are already dead, especially if we fail another hire. 

Hit the hire out of the park though...different story.

Agree with you in the idea of bordering Texas and Louisana - every time i look at the map of the United States i see the disadvantage that NU has.  However, back in the 70's 80's and 90's the United States looks just like it does in 2017.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, GBRFAN said:

Agree with you in the idea of bordering Texas and Louisana - every time i look at the map of the United States i see the disadvantage that NU has.  However, back in the 70's 80's and 90's the United States looks just like it does in 2017.

Next year's schedule is rougher than this year's and a new coach with a new system all over the place, with less talent (we lose seniors and who knows how many transfers, etc with the coaching changes) and managing to win half of our games will be a major acomplishment realistically.   Year two maybe offers more stability but even if we have four or five outstanding freshmen recruits, they won't add muc to the overall talent pool at that point either.   Year three offers some hope but don't know the schedule, etc.  And by year three, the calls will be loud to fire the coach and hire a good one who knows what he's doing, etc.  

We have 'talent' according to the so called experts who come up with ratings.   However, those ratings don't have any way to measure heart.  As we saw, the kids don't seem to care much and give half hearted effort about half the plays.  That does not translate to wins and leads to blow out losses to Minnesota or anybody.  Recruiting nationally is great but ONLY if you are going after the kids that will fight as Huskers.   Too many 'stars' and not enough desire and hunger and you get what we have been seeing for the past 15 years.   Hit or miss, up and down, good and bad and ugly, etc.   Consistancy comes from talent in the body of athletes that will give their all and will be pushed for playing time by guys that will do the same.  

Attitudes are different in today's young people than 20, 30 and 40 years ago.   This generation is different and the times are different.   It is a video game world and this mentality is NOT conhducive to the kind of physical and mental drive and effort that is needed to become a consistant winner on the field.   The emotional indicators from the past decade of Nebraska football players, as a group. does not suggest a whole lot of commitment and investment in the program in my view.  You just don't see the devastation and disappointment and 'hurt' when the team loses.   I just don't think the kids care enough to give the kind of effort it takes to become champions.   Coaches have to motivate but players have to have the 'want to' and drive it takes to gut out those extra stadium steps and wind sprints and etc.   Our team is NOT physically fit and this also indicates laziness and lack of commitment.  

No coach can wave a magic wand and change things over night or in a year or two, in my view.  It is a long term process.   Not sure what happened within the program to see this kind of lack of effort and drive but it is not new.  We saw quit even in mad dog Pelini's teams as well, although not as dramatic perhaps.   But a lot of the recent games are largely due to the fan bashing and turning on the program and the coaches and some of the players as well.  This team had not quit on Riley before this to this degree although we've have players slacking off clearly.   The next coach will have to turn the first year into a crash course in "Navy Seals' level physical fitness and not worry so much about football until we have football shape players ready to play.  The quitters can just quit and we will know who has heart and who doesn't.   That will get the purge under way.

Edited by 84HuskerLaw
  • Plus1 1