What did we learn?....Minnesota

1 minute ago, Excel said:

I grew up about 45 minutes down the highway from Tony and 10 years after Leonhard. He's still very plugged in to the Northwoods area despite being far from Madison and I don't see him leaving anytime soon. I see him evolving in to a coach-in-waiting, the only way he leaves is if there's some kind of falling out between coaches . He's not the type that would leave for money. 

I am pretty sure you're spot on here.

2 hours ago, HARDCORE HUSKER FUSKER said:

I have been a hardcore fan all my life (57 years), I have followed the Huskers everywhere I lived, been a devoted fan win or loose, but under the circumstances the program has to adhere to these days is totally ridiculous, I'm sick and tired of the PC BS that is forced on us,  like firing Bo Pelini, was a travesty, it takes years to establish a winning program, (how long did it take the great Tom Osborne?) you didn't give him a chance,   I know a lot of PC correct people did not like the tactics of Coach Pelini, get over it you little wienies!  THIS IS FOOTBALL -- NOT YOUR DAUGHTERS BALLET RECITAL ! 

Fire the people responsible for implementing the Political Correctness of our FOOTBALL program and bring in the old school boys who know how to coach and mold our young men into great football players again, then and only then we will have a championship program again. 

Lose.  Not loose

It took Tom Osborne exactly 1 year to create his winning program

Pelini had 7 years to win a conference championship and not be an a hole.  He failed at both

Political correctness is not the problem.  

• Plus1 4

The postgame press conferences are hard to watch. Sounded like most of them summed it up as guys missing assignments and not making plays. Coach Diaco seemed particularly disturbed by what happened but also said this one game should not define these players. I learned it's easy to sound off anonymously on a message board saying things I'd never say to any of them face to face. 

6 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The postgame press conferences are hard to watch. Sounded like most of them summed it up as guys missing assignments and not making plays. Coach Diaco seemed particularly disturbed by what happened but also said this one game should not define these players. I learned it's easy to sound off anonymously on a message board saying things I'd never say to any of them face to face. 

Everything I say here, I would say directly to the coaches and players face...if I could.  Of course I'd probably get beat up pretty badly by some of the players, but I'd still say it.

Edited by Making Chimichangas

Reading the papers after the game, I am left wondering...when was the last time a Husker team played with heart?  1999?  Certainly not since joining the Big Ten.  That's the problem.  In my opinion, its partly our fault (fans).  The blind reliance on "tradition" or "history" has allowed those who actually play the games to rest on a reputation that was earned decades ago.  That doesn't translate to the field.

Look at Auburn today.  Did they play like they were the underdog?  Nope.  They brought their woodshed and took the Bulldogs behind it for 60 minutes.

It's a new world, I'm concerned that our program hasn't figured that out.  GBR (with a few tears)

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, kodi41 said:

Have a look at the win loss record IN BOWL GAMES. 13 losses - with 7 of those losses in concession.

Then Consider the conference we played in. The big 8 nor the big 12 are, were, or will ever be a match for the big 10.

in 1995 the 50% of the Big 8 was in the top 10 (Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas State and Kansas). For the Big 10, only Ohio State. In TOs era, only Michigan won the MNC, and that was shared with Nebraska. The Big 8 won 7 (Nebraska 3, Oklahoma 3, Colorado 1). In 2000, a two loss Husker team annihilated the BiG 10 co-champion 66-17.

Edited by MichiganDad3
  • Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Reading the papers after the game, I am left wondering...when was the last time a Husker team played with heart?  1999?  Certainly not since joining the Big Ten.  That's the problem.  In my opinion, its partly our fault (fans).  The blind reliance on "tradition" or "history" has allowed those who actually play the games to rest on a reputation that was earned decades ago.  That doesn't translate to the field.

Look at Auburn today.  Did they play like they were the underdog?  Nope.  They brought their woodshed and took the Bulldogs behind it for 60 minutes.

It's a new world, I'm concerned that our program hasn't figured that out.  GBR (with a few tears)

I think you have a good point in here but needs some clarification.  I agree the team doesn't play with a lot of heart. What is it that we have done as fans?  Is it fans that are relying on tradition?  I guess I don't understand what we're doing as fans that contribute to the players performance on the field. 

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Everything I say here, I would say directly to the coaches and players face...if I could.  Of course I'd probably get beat up pretty badly by some of the players, but I'd still say it.

Just run at them, we've seen how well that works out for the players.

You'd be safe.

• Plus1 2
59 minutes ago, Frustrated said:

Some of those early Pelini teams definitely showed heart. The championship game versus TX for sure; that defense gave it their all.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Apparently it didn't include "we're going to have to go to POB."

Also, according to Husker Online, among those who weren't informed that POB was going into the game was ..... POB.

He wasn't even warmed up.  Just sent him into the game.  Had to "warm up" after coming off the field after the first series of the second half.

• Plus1 1